It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Las Vegas massacre: Now is not the time for gun control debate, White House says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Now is not the time to discuss gun control in the US, the White House said, following a mass shooting in which 59 people were killed.
Earlier, President Donald Trump made a televised address in which he described the shooting as an "act of pure evil" but did not make reference to a growing row over Americans' right to bear arms.

Asked if the deadliest shooting in modern US history had prompted Mr Trump to consider tighter gun controls, Ms Sanders said: "Now is the time to unite as a country."

Pushed further, Ms Sanders described the President as a "strong supporter of the Second Amendment (right to bear arms)" - adding he did not want to push through laws that would not prevent mass shootings.

She said: "If you look to Chicago where you had over 4,000 victims of gun-related crimes last year, they have the strictest gun laws in the country.

Las Vegas massacre: Now is not the time for gun control debate, White House says

I must repeat this line.

She said: "If you look to Chicago where you had over 4,000 victims of gun-related crimes last year, they have the strictest gun laws in the country.

What needs to be understood is that, they're saying that Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the Nation yet, the highest death count. Why is that? I'll tell you why.

When you enforce laws like this, or the never ending 'war' on drugs, you won't get less of it. You'll get more.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I used to think gun control was the answer. My research told me otherwise.

Gun control laws do not work with the only exception of them working against law abiding citizens. Australia, The United Kingdom and China all have very very strict gun control laws and all 3 countries still have gun crime.

2/3 of all US deaths attributed to guns are from suicide. The second largest group belongs to people killed in gang related violence.

What this guy did was illegal from top to bottom so no laws are going to prevent it since the laws already exist.

An armed population = citizens.
An unarmed population - subjects.

My fear is not from a guy going mental and randomly killing people. My fear is the the government succeeding in disarming the population. For an example of what can occur in that scenario I urge people to crack open a history book and study the rise of the 3rd Reich.
edit on 4-10-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Why is the gun crime rate so high in Chicago despite the strict gun laws? Has anyone answered that?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Why is the gun crime rate so high in Chicago despite the strict gun laws? Has anyone answered that?

Nope and it will continued to be ignored since it perfectly demonstrates how gun control laws dont work. Just like clinton bringing silencers into the conversation without understanding that what you see in the movies is not how they work, or sound, in real life.

Never mind the fact they are for the most part already illegal to manufacture / sell / own one (very few exceptions exist). In the Us it is why they are designed with non standard measurements.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   
it will never be done....weapon- stocks went higher after the shooting...!a reply to: ADSE255

edit on 4-10-2017 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   
After Nice, Berlin and the London Bridge incidents (and some others), we should have immediately had discussions about truck controls...

there are at least 2,446,294 AR-15 rifles currently available in the United States.

Number of Assault Weapons in the US

This politically defined category of guns (Assault Weapons) — a selection of rifles, shotguns and handguns with “military-style” features — only figured in about 2 percent of gun crimes nationwide before the ban.

The Assault Weapon Myth

So...quite obviously...the problem of violent assaults in America using firearms goes way deeper than the sale of Assault Weapons.

Some say the real emphasis should be on the breakdown of the American family (resulting, partially, in an epidemic of gang-related violence). Others say there is a strong link to the massive increase in the use of depression and anxiety medication across America (ever listen to the drug ads, "...may increase suicidal thoughts and actions..."?)

edit on 4-10-2017 by mobiusmale because: typo

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

I think you'd get less over time. It would take time but these shootings/killings by gun would eventualy be down to minimal amounts. Just look at Country's stats where guns are outlawed.

link   

originally posted by: ressiv
it will never be done....weapon- stocks went higher after the shooting...!a reply to: ADSE255

Funny how that works. Democrat leaders mention guns and prices go through the roof. Who's really lining the NRA pocket?

link   
a reply to: mobiusmale

In addition that a large chunk of "famous" "high profile" people demanding gun control fail to disclose the fact they employ armed security for their own safety. My guess would be any gun control legislation will have loopholes to protect the elite.

The hypocrite Rosie Odonnell likes to push severe gun control laws yet shes perfectly ok with her armed security staff.

a reply to: JinMI
The Democratic party is the gift that keeps on giving.
edit on 4-10-2017 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   
The only laws that would get passed would target that mythical monster the "assault weapon" that is used in a minuscule amount of crimes changing nothing but giving the opening for a wider ban.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I owned property, and lived, in a fairly rural area for quite a number of years. Many, many town and city dwellers owned firearms (it was a great area for bear, deer and moose hunting). Literally nearly every rural resident (farm owners mainly) had firearms to protect their livestock and family from predators (wolves, foxes, lynx, etc.).

In all the years I lived there, within probably a 50-75 mile radius, there were exactly zero human-on-human gun-related violent episodes.

So, you tell me, is it the guns...or something else that is causing the violent mayhem in the US?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: mobiusmale
After Nice, Berlin and the London Bridge incidents (and some others), we should have immediately had discussions about truck controls...

That comment is such a special type of "stupid" that i don't even know where to begin. In fact, congratulations, i am offically flummoxed that an adult can come out with such nonsense.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

I predicted that the day of the slaughtering, said as much here on ATS, expect to read or hear some thing about Chicago.. When in doubt always pull Chicago outta their behinds.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

originally posted by: mobiusmale

That comment is such a special type of "stupid" that i don't even know where to begin. In fact, congratulations, i am offically flummoxed that an adult can come out with such nonsense.

It is a valid comparison.

Trucks, like guns, are inanimate objects which are incapable of killing anything unless its being used by a human and only when the human takes that course of action.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my handgun has, making his car more of a threat than my gun.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I just wanted to chime in and include the often overlooked fact that Australia's national arsenal of privately owned & registered guns is actually much LARGER now than it was in the years before the Port Arthur massacre. We just don't have access to military style assault weapons. More people own guns in Australia than ever before, but still gun crime is extremely rare. Perhaps it has something to do with the USA being such a violent culture?
edit on 4-10-2017 by NeuronDivide because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Lack of gang leaders imposing discipline. The violence is being committed by hot headed children who are acting emotionally rather than strategically. The rise in shootings corresponds to successful l policing and prosecution of gang leadership.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: NeuronDivide

More than 450,00 people die each year in the US from cigarettes.

Whats the bigger danger to the public?

cigarettes at 450k or guns at 13k-30k?

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

It is at best a strawman argument, as well you know. The fact is, it is your country so is up to you to decide what the laws are / are not.

However, being completely disingenuous over the issue just makes you all look extremely silly and frankly i expect better from you (as someone who generally actually bothers to look at an issue).

As to the White House saying now is not the time to debate this, well actually now is exactly the time to debate it (for you Americans rather than the rest of us).

Properly address issues like poverty and opportunity and violent crime will start to reduce. That is the starting point but god knows how you go about that effectively.

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

It is real simple, one city has gun control but the state or surrounding ones don't. This means that it is easy for guns to be smuggled in from these places into Chicago, making black market gun sales highly profitable for criminals.

I really don't understand how hard that is to understand.

I also do not understand how conservative media can say with a straight face, that a gun tragedy is not the time to politicize gun violence but have no problem politicizing Immigration issues right away, whenever an immigrant kills American, mainly Muslims.

For the record, both times are the time to bring up those issues.

NRA, conservatives need to stop the lie that it is a gun ban that is being talked about but better common sense laws that make it harder for the wrong people to get guns.
edit on 4-10-2017 by ShawnTBear because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

What needs to be understood is that, they're saying that Chicago has the strictest gun laws in the Nation yet, the highest death count. Why is that?

The gun control proponents argument countering that argument is making guns illegal in one part of the country doesn't prevent people from importing them from another state, where they are still legal. That goes on a lot. Their 'solution' is making them illegal everywhere there by preventing people form importing guns from one part of the country to another.

The problem with that argument is drug dealers and associated gang activity in places like Chicago for instance, secure tons of drugs illegally from outside the country as well as illegal automatic firearms to defend their 'turf'. The authorities can't stop either from entering the country.

The gangs will remain armed (in places like Chicago and elsewhere) even if every gun store is shut down in the whole country.
edit on 4-10-2017 by intrptr because: added reply

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join