It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will an economic collapse be beneficial to us in the long run?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Look, I am well aware things are going go bad in the short term but in the long term I think it will help many people and perhaps improve the US and the world.

For far too long people had known nothing of hardship and the last time the US experienced hardship was during maybe the Civil Rights Era and the 1973 oil embargo. Other than that, there was no events as bad as the Great Depression.

As a result, the Boomers and future Generations had become complacent and only known good times.

One thing I noticed is that with the rise of the SJW movement, people are starting care about petty things like so called micro aggression while ignoring real issues all around us like the corruption in the government and the fact that people are losing their jobs.

Personally, I think the only real way for people to wake up and make changes is by having the economy collapse. Through a collapse, people will finally realize things are not what it seems to be and that they will seriously start demanding real changes.

Trump, and everyone else including the Democrats and Republicans has done nothing to improve the economy.

Through an economic collapse, people will finally start demanding new political political parties, ones that actually serve their interests.

It will also end this so called identity politics because then people will be more focused on very serious issues like unemployment.

Now I know some of you folks may say that it might be a bad thing for the economy to collapse but we don't have a choice.

If keep going to our present course, nothing will improve.

In fact an economic professor of mine even admitted we might experience an economic collapse one day.
edit on 9/30/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I see no benefit to an economic collapse.
After the Great Depression, we did not see any of the types of changes you suggest.
By most accounts, WWII was the saving of the American economy - sixteen years of the same government, no change.

The only potential "good" to come from an economic collapse might be a restructuring of the wealth... following the devastating consequences of yet another world war, and of course, a big reduction in world population.
big war = less population = more per capita wealth

Since the folks controlling the economy wont be affected, I see no economic benefits trickling down to the rest of us.

ganjoa

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa

What do you propose?

I mean sometimes we need to remove the old and replace it with a new system.

Retaining our current economic system will only benefit the bankers whom Trump conveniently ignored.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

I have no alternate proposal.
And I refuse to engage in wishful thinking where consequences are so devastating.
When I was a kid, people worried about people, the economy was not the ultimate societal driving force.
Not to say money didn't play a BIG part - but it was just one of the important parts of society. Not the ONLY one.

ganjoa

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The only ones who benefit are the ultra rich, who grab up property and cheap stocks - at least that's what happened last time...

I don't need to lose everything to understand hardship. Been close to there. Done nearly just that. Took years and years to recover.

But feel free to try it yourself!

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: AboveBoard

Oh I'm talking about the Millennials especially the SJWs. I mean a lot of them are shouting about petty little things like mansplaining while ignoring real problems.

Personally, if we keep going our present course, nothing will improve unless they wake up.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Look, I am well aware things are going go bad in the short term but in the long term I think it will help many people and perhaps improve the US and the world.

For far too long people had known nothing of hardship and the last time the US experienced hardship was during maybe the Civil Rights Era and the 1973 oil embargo. Other than that, there was no events as bad as the Great Depression.

As a result, the Boomers and future Generations had become complacent and only known good times.

One thing I noticed is that with the rise of the SJW movement, people are starting care about petty things like so called micro aggression while ignoring real issues all around us like the corruption in the government and the fact that people are losing their jobs.

Personally, I think the only real way for people to wake up and make changes is by having the economy collapse. Through a collapse, people will finally realize things are not what it seems to be and that they will seriously start demanding real changes.

Trump, and everyone else including the Democrats and Republicans has done nothing to improve the economy.

Through an economic collapse, people will finally start demanding new political political parties, ones that actually serve their interests.

It will also end this so called identity politics because then people will be more focused on very serious issues like unemployment.

Now I know some of you folks may say that it might be a bad thing for the economy to collapse but we don't have a choice.

If keep going to our present course, nothing will improve.

In fact an economic professor of mine even admitted we might experience an economic collapse one day.

I think it is fair to say we will face an economic collapse long term.. just because every economy pre-dating ours did, and I rarely think things are uniquely special.

That said I don't think we need to or it is required..

Money isn't based on anything...

It is smoke and mirrors.

What do you need to build everything from a table to a computer or what have you???

Materials, labor and know how.

Money is not on that list....

Money is the lubricant required to motivate people to play ball, but there are plenty of other things that have worked as well.

Conflicts for example . When it comes time to fight a war or environmental conditions are so bad they require a wartime like effort money suspiciously loses all value.

All that said, I do not think we should abandon money completely..

We just pretend it is a zero sum game and it is not...

WE decide money's value, not some intangible deity called the free market.

edit on 30-9-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

The problem is far too many people want our current system to last and all they are doing is delaying the inevitable.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Going to have to follow this. I have no idea what the answer is but I'd like to learn. Because I know we're headed someplace and it's not good. At least for now.

peace

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I heard a pretty believable argument saying that recessions clean out the garbage..

In any economic boom you have buisnesses that are not really viable pop up and "look" successful even though they are not fulfilling a function.

(I would consider health insurance one, but...)

Well recessions kill all of those. In a recession people stop spending on nonesense, so nonessential buisness that are really just riding the coat tales of others fail.

Well we haven't had a bad one in so long some of those parasitic buisnesses have become big parts of our economy...

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   

How would this help people who are already in the poor house, people who are already on the breadline? I'm asking because this is the second or maybe third time someone has said "Oh if only all the banking systems just went away. The world would be perfect" I mean people need money, they need their jobs to be paid so imagine if suddenly there was a collapse do you really think jobs will still be there? Do you not think the rich are protected in some way? I mean if you said: "Hey I have an idea how we can have a fairer system" or something like that then I'm all ears (and trust me ears as big as mine, I'd hear every minor detail lol) but a collapse would ruin the lives of millions of people and no doubt cost lives.

Work toward fixing the way systems work is great, working toward a better system for the future is even better, higher taxes for the rich, lower for the middle class and the lowest for the poor/breadliners I'll get behind but a collapse isn't going to help anyone and like I said the rich will be protected.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Dwoodward85

Yeah so far our government is not doing anything. All they care about allowing the Military Industrial Complex to keep up with their so called Yankee Imperialism while neglecting the American people back home.

Up to now, Trump hadn't stop these parasitic bankers.

As Joshua Cox says, we hadn't had a bad one for so long we allowed these parasitic bankers to become attached to our system and the only way to change that is to tear down our current economic system and start from scratch.

Also we need remove the Democrats and Republicans in order to improve our government and so far no one is saying it. With an economic collapse, people will finally see that they are nothing but incompetent fools.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

I imagine death, rape and destruction.

A US collapse would spur global instability and create a vacuum. This would/could cause huge conflict-more death.

But the controllers would profit handsomely because the media would cast the blame in other areas or at other groups of people. In other words there would be no pitch forks and torches for the "bankers".

And the rebuilding would start off with a central bank, get your loan and hop on the debt driven fiat based economy again.

edit on 30-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Poverty is the greatest cause of death on the planet. Economic collapse will hurt a lot of people.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Well do you have an alternative other than maintaining our current system whom is just as destructive?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   
yes, and the longer it takes the greater the collapse.

the current economic model is unsustainable. whether it's inherently flawed or simply corrupt is debateable, but something needs to change. that change can only come about after a systemic crash, so whatever difficulties it would cause in the short term, it is necessary for developing a sustainable economy.
edit on 30-9-2017 by njord because: spelling

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Recessions only kill those businesses if they are allowed to die.

Look what happened during the last crash. The banks were propped up. The auto industry was propped up. Those businesses did not have viable economic models for the times they were in, but government came along and deemed them "too big to fail."

Now, thanks to Obamacare and the public-private partnership it has with insurance, those industries are too big to fail too.

We may be looking at a time when the next crash, crashes our own government because until it goes down, it will be tempted to scream "too big to fail" in order to prop up businesses and buy votes off the workers.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Oh I'm talking about the Millennials especially the SJWs. I mean a lot of them are shouting about petty little things like mansplaining while ignoring real problems.

Personally, if we keep going our present course, nothing will improve unless they wake up.

You have no figures to back up what you are saying. In fact young people are less wealthy. I was just reading a front page BBC story about it:

www.bbc.co.uk...

"Young people's progress has gone into reverse in the early 21st century," says Laura Gardiner from the Resolution Foundation, which analyses living standards. "They've been hit hardest by a major slowdown in consumption, particularly since the financial crisis." The study tracked people's habits over 57 years and found the spending power for 25-35 year olds has fallen 15% since the year 2000.

OP, you have made all this up. You have no evidence. You are just moaning about young people not being what you would have them be.

They are having to make do with less of everything. Really, where did you get this ridiculous notion other than wanting to economically hurt young people even more because you did not realise they are already being hurt that way. You appear to want to punish them for some supposed PC insult to you personally.

This is seriously opinionated projection going on. Relax, your dream is coming true anyhow. Hope you like witnessing the gradual loss of income for our people.

edit on 30-9-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

But to do all you want to do you don't actually need a collapse. Start voting for people who aren't Republicans or Democrats. Start looking into independents, vote for local government as well as your Presidents, starting working toward doing those things, picking honest politicians who you believe in and vote them in first, then start helping small business, don't buy from Amazon, yes it's vastly cheaper in some cases but if you want to take the power from the rich you help the poor and build them up so that the rich lose some of the controlling power they have.

The sad fact is that those rich enough to be powerful enough to mess about with Governments are to rich for anything really to take them out of their position unless people start refusing to buy their products or buy into their hand picked politicians, those are the starting points. Any collapse would hurt the already just about managing (to steal a phrase) and put more pressure on them while the rich will just protect themselves.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

You have no figures to back up what you are saying. In fact young people are less wealthy. I was just reading a front page BBC story about it:

www.bbc.co.uk...

"Young people's progress has gone into reverse in the early 21st century," says Laura Gardiner from the Resolution Foundation, which analyses living standards. "They've been hit hardest by a major slowdown in consumption, particularly since the financial crisis." The study tracked people's habits over 57 years and found the spending power for 25-35 year olds has fallen 15% since the year 2000.

OP, you have made all this up. You have no evidence. You are just moaning about young people not being what you would have them be.

They are having to make do with less of everything. Really, where did you get this ridiculous notion other than wanting to economically hurt young people even more because you did not realise they are already being hurt that way. You appear to want to punish them for some supposed PC insult to you personally.

This is seriously opinionated projection going on. Relax, your dream is coming true anyhow. Hope you like witnessing the gradual loss of income for our people.

Let me sum up a rebuttal for all you said in one sentence
The young uns are still living off the so-called well off 50 + parents and taxes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join