It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It takes a big pair to make the claim of atheism.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance

It's an unknown and an unknowable(at this time). Theism and atheism are both faith based because of this.

Faith to me means something though.

Faith means believing in something not provable.

I don't go by that explanation. I believe faith is subjective and personal and different for every different person. Faith is evidence of something in the future and proof of the force behind it creating it.

The theists simply cannot accept the possibility of having only evidence based beliefs.

edit on 30-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
You’re right. It does take some to claim there is not a god.

In the end I’d rather have that than to have gullibility and weak mindedness to be conned into something with no evidence. Trying to fulfill a life goal of forever conning other people to follow fairy tales from a book.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: intrepid

I'm sorry, but if "faith" was the same as the word "belief" then we would not have two words. Faith is a belief in something without evidence. Belief is not faith.

That is the whole point. Atheists do NOT have faith.

Actually

be·lieve
bəˈlēv/Submit
verb
accept (something) as true; feel sure of the truth of.

Truth is, we don't know..there could be one or many deities...we don't know any truths of the universe in such ways...the default to accept is zero deities, then work on evidence from there. Just because we don't have evidence atm doesn't mean it isn't out there somewhere...
Belief is a certainty...a absolute position.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Again, you have NO idea what it means to be an atheist. Atheist are NOT asserting there is "no god". Atheists are saying since there is no evidence for the existence of God then God does not exist in principle. Atheists only believe in things that have objective evidence of their existence. Nobody denies the existence of apples because I can hold one in my hand.

What is your objective evidence for the existence of God? If you have none then you have to admit the possibility of ALL your ideas about God are imaginary and only exist in your mind. If you have no evidence for God's existence then you are being delusional.

Now you could claim ALL of existence is evidence for God's existence. Atheist would then argue all of existence is not a thing because things are finite.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
You’re right. It does take some to claim there is not a god.

In the end I’d rather have that than to have gullibility and weak mindedness to be conned into something with no evidence. Trying to fulfill a life goal of forever conning other people to follow fairy tales from a book.

It seems like a con job to me. There's a lot of money in religion.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I'm sorry, but if "faith" was the same as the word "belief" then we would not have two words. Faith is a belief in something without evidence. Belief is not faith.

Might want to take a look at the definiton for "faith."

I've denounced religion, I've denounced God, but I've also denounced atheist/agnosticism. The latter slowly turning into a (anti-theist based) religion. Atheist these days are no better than the religious people they argue with all the time. Throwing their (wait for it) faith in the face of those who believe differently than them.

I'll never, in my life, understand why everyone has to be in everyone else's business, trying so hard to argue that their beliefs are better than anyone else. I long for the days when people leave each other alone. In my opinion the world would be better off.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Again, you have NO idea what it means to be an atheist. Atheist are NOT asserting there is "no god". Atheists are saying since there is no evidence for the existence of God then God does not exist in principle. Atheists only believe in things that have objective evidence of their existence. Nobody denies the existence of apples because I can hold one in my hand.

What is your objective evidence for the existence of God? If you have none then you have to admit the possibility of ALL your ideas about God are imaginary and only exist in your mind. If you have no evidence for God's existence then you are being delusional.

Now you could claim ALL of existence is evidence for God's existence. Atheist would then argue all of existence is not a thing because things are finite.

So atheism is in fact circular reasoning, or am I missing the point here?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

It takes a big pair to claim that your made up god is better than someone else's made up god...

I'm not shaming the religious person, I'm shaming religion.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: imthegoat

I've denounced religion, I've denounced God, but I've also denounced atheist/agnosticism. The latter slowly turning into a (anti-theist based) religion. Atheist these days are no better than the religious people they argue with all the time. Throwing their (wait for it) faith in the face of those who believe differently than them.

Atheists ARE better than religious people and here is why. An atheist has a very clear and precise position. The only things that exist are things that have evidence of their existence. Atheism is NOT a belief system based on God. Atheism is a "no position" or "no belief" position. So why would you say having a "no belief" position the atheist is "no better".

You can't place a value judgement on having "no belief" unless you have a value judgement on having "belief".

Being an atheist there is NOTHING to criticize.

I'll never, in my life, understand why everyone has to be in everyone else's business, trying so hard to argue that their beliefs are better than anyone else. I long for the days when people leave each other alone. In my opinion the world would be better off.

This is why you don't understand. Religion exists to answer the four great existential questions:

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What will happen to me when I die?

The problem is for weaker minds having uncertainty to unanswerable questions is uncomfortable. So people invent imaginary delusions and become closed minded to avoid uncomfortable thoughts.

edit on 30-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typo

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Yes, you are missing the point. You seem to be determined to argue nothingness is somethingness. The absence of something is NOT something. The absence of something is NOTHING.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Atheists ARE better than religious people and here is why.

That's an opinion and a BOLD claim. Sounds no different than a theists. As an agnostic I chuckle at both as they basically say the same thing from polar opposites. Both gotta give their opinion at the other. Structurally the same.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Atheists ARE better than religious people and here is why. An atheist has a very clear and precise position. The only things that exist are things that have evidence of their existence. Atheism is NOT a belief system based on God. Atheism is a "no position" or "no belief" position. So why would you say having a "no belief" position the atheist is "no better".

You can't place a value judgement on having "no belief" unless you have a value judgement on having "belief".

Being an atheist there is NOTHING to criticize.

This is why you don't understand. Religion exists to answer the four great existential questions:

1. Who am I?
2. Why am I here?
3. What does it all mean?
4. What will happen to me when I die?

The problem is for weaker minds having uncertainty to unanswerable questions is uncomfortable. So people invent imaginary delusions and become closed minded to avoid uncomfortable thoughts.

No matter how you try to justify what you said; you sound exactly like a religious person. Nothing you said is short of a faith based system. You BELIEVE that you're better than those who practice religion. You BELIEVE that you're better than those who believe in a God. You're attempting to shove your BELIEFS down someone elses throat because they don't agree with you. You have faith, my friend, and its just as contemptuous as those in Christianity.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Atheists ARE better than religious people and here is why.

That's an opinion and a BOLD claim. Sounds no different than a theists. As an agnostic I chuckle at both as they basically say the same thing from polar opposites. Both gotta give their opinion at the other. Structurally the same.

I chuckle at agnostics for the very same reason. As an agnostic, you are claiming "it can't be known" or there is "nothing known". Unlike you, an atheist doesn't have any prejudice about the knowability of God. Today, God could show up and everyone would agree objective evidence for God now exists. An atheist would just accept the existence of God at this point based on principle.

As an agnostic, you have no principles. You are just asserting a proposition about "knowability" without any evidence to support your position.

You criticize my opinion as "a BOLD claim". And you say "Sounds no different". But it is different and it is better. I gave you my reasons why. The atheist position is clear and precise. A theist position is never precise. There are as many religions as there are people on the planet. And your agnostic position is not better because you have no proof to support your beliefs. So again, the atheist position is better in terms of being clear, precise, and not requiring any leap of faith or accept an unprovable assertion to support its validity as a way of thinking.

edit on 30-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: typos

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Atheists ARE better than religious people....

I’m sorry, but that’s very arrogant and no different in thinking than the extremely religious.

I wouldn’t say I’m better than religious people. I might say I’m better at certain things than other people, but not a better person.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

I never said I was better. That is just nonsense.

It is better even though you are unwilling to accept my argument. It is better because as a way of thinking atheism is clear and precise. Why do you think it is NOT better?

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I never said it’s not better.

It’s just a difference of opinion based on the evidence (or lack thereof).

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
the funniest thing is most of the time athiests have names like silver and gold, then tell everyone its wrong to practice their faith. these athiest jerks post billboards in my town condemning christmas.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dantanna

I celebrate Christmas. Just not as a religious event. I celebrate it as a family get together.

I’ve never understood why anyone of religion or not wants to put a ban on a religious event (or in my case, an adapted family event).

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   

No matter how you try to justify what you said; you sound exactly like a religious person. Nothing you said is short of a faith based system. You BELIEVE that you're better than those who practice religion. You BELIEVE that you're better than those who believe in a God. You're attempting to shove your BELIEFS down someone elses throat because they don't agree with you. You have faith, my friend, and its just as contemptuous as those in Christianity.

First, you are not my friend. This is not a discussion about me. This is a discussion about atheism and what it means to be an atheist. If you want to delude yourself in thinking atheism is a form of faith because thinking otherwise would challenge your belief system with a much more rationale way of thinking, then by all means, remain comfortable in your delusions.

I never said I was better. I said atheists are better because they have a clear and precise way of thinking based on principles. The problem with theists is there is no objective truth so there are as many religions as there are people on the planet. What reason or rationale would you claim theists are better than atheists?

I'm not attempting to shove my beliefs down anyone. You can think for yourself or you don't think at all. Atheism is not a dogma with a belief or faith. Atheism has no beliefs. It just has one simple principle about what is real and what is imaginary. You just can't accept the possibility, assuming you are a theist, all your cherished beliefs are just imaginary delusions.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Again, you have NO idea what it means to be an atheist.

Thanks for trying to get into my brain, but I reckon I am a better judge of what goes on in my head.

I consider myself an agnostic-atheist

I took up issue with you suggesting atheism is a belief system..and then tried to explain how belief and faith are different things..

I...believe...you may be confused here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join