It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horse meat for dinner if U.S. House gets its way

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

I'd feed it! Looks like a good pelt and some tasty steak in the making. It'll probably pull out a few tree stups and plow a couple rows in its youth. ... Problem with most people is they give them names.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: angeldoll
This is equally as repugnant as eating a dog or cat. imo. No, no, and no.

Why?

For me, having grown up with horses, it's because I consider them to be pets and not food animals. Love horses, beautiful, intelligent, sweet animals.

-----

Owners can get up to $700 for selling an animal to a slaughterhouse across the border. Without that option, disposing of a carcass by landfill can cost several hundred dollars. Cremation costs up to $1,000.

Yeah, you contact a rendering service. They come get the dead horse, then they use it.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

An old Navy cook buddy (Coast Gaurd), same thing, of mine, had a port call in Europe. They replenished the vessel with Horse meat. The sailors didn't even know the difference.. It's funny how "civilized" humans react, when they think they know, what is comming into their pie hole. They just scarf it up!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: darepairman
a reply to: silo13

don't know if this was said yet, I didn't read threw. Make horse meat legal and sell it real cheap so that anyone can afford it.
I wouldn't think there would be a lot of folks that want to eat it,but there are folks that could use the meat.

Agreed!

And it would end the suffering of so many horses...and people.

peace

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

My grandsons name everything! I try to get them to use food names, like Terriyaki, Stewie, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. to no avail. Sigh. It is more difficult with 'pet' names for sure. Yet, once they are processed, they all look the same...simply meat and no longer look like a cute pet.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Nope.

I tried curing and smoking some horse.

It was AWFUL!

peace

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: murphy22

Yes it is interesting, other cultures eat other meat, we are sometimes horrified by it, as they are too at times by us eating pork for instance.
It's all just meat..part of the food chain.
I kinda wish I could get more interested in being vegetarian but just not there yet.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Family pet horses are sometimes bought by beef slaughterhouses. Also,sometimes they don't know how to properly euthanize the horses leaving them with an agonizing death. As up mentioned the horses being sold out of the US face that there as well.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Other threads in the past on this subject discussed horses holding a special place in American culture. With that don't see a big demand fir the meat.

Best of luck with your possible choice. Transitioning is gradual,try out vegetarian foods as a start,having numerous options for meat substitutes these days.

link   
This is interesting..well sort of, apparently we ship a lot of live horses to Japan
www.vice.com...
edit on 29-9-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

link   

So, no horse jerky as well?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Seeing an entry for the Preakness Steak might be a tip off.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

So, no horse jerky as well?

That would be ok using very lean meat.

I make ostrich jerky.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

less rats, more cheese...

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I can see the sandwich meat labels now: Meat (mechanically separated chicken, turkey and horse), spices, preservative.
edit on 9/29/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

In Canada's culture as well.
Yes, maybe a gradual shift..I love meat but lately been have some moral conflict/dilemma with how our food is treated.
A few scandals lately have really bothered me.(livestock being abused..chickens, dairy cows..etc)
edit on 29-9-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Family pet horses are sometimes bought by beef slaughterhouses. Also,sometimes they don't know how to properly euthanize the horses leaving them with an agonizing death. As up mentioned the horses being sold out of the US face that there as well.

I would like to agree with you but I cannot.

ONCE, even once a 'beef' butcher is caught with horse?

They're done.

My point, the band has to be lifeted...for so many reasons as we're bringing up here.

peace

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: dreamingawake

In Canada's culture as well.
Yes, maybe a gradual shift..I love meat but lately been have some moral conflict/dilemma with how our food is treated.
A few scandals lately have really bothered me.(livestock being abused..chickens, dairy cows..etc)

Which is why I would encourage you to buy from local farmers who grow and butcher their own 'meat'.

I know my chickens are loves. My cows are loved. My goats and my pigeons and any other meat animal - ARE LOVED - and NEVER raised or dispatched without the utmost concern for their care.

I'm not saying every farm treats their animals with such care, but anything is better than a slaughterhouse and you're supporting your local farmers.

In an area without local producers? I just don't know what to say, or have any guidance on what you should do to buy your meat that's not raised in inhumane conditions.

Another thing to take into consideration? It's not just what we eat.

It's the clothes we wear, the cosmetics. The medicines. All described are sold at the expense of animals who've suffered torturous conditions. Just a thought.

peace

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

It's been documented by undercover investigations. See if I can find more on it in a bit.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Food for thought..so to speak

I'm sure there are local producers, and I will look into it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join