It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unable to Identify by Smell These 5 Things?...You Might Be On Road To Dementia [STUDY]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
www.independent.co.uk... h-elderly-a7973521.html

Losing the ability to smell peppermint, fish, orange, rose and leather could be an accurate early warning sign of dementia, according to a new study.

The ability of nearly 3,000 people aged 57 to 85 to detect these five odours was tested by scientists.

When they returned about five years later, almost all of the people who had not been able to name a single one of the five scents had dementia, as did nearly 80 per cent of those who gave only one or two correct answers.

In the study, 78 per cent of those tested had a normal sense of smell, correctly identifying either four or five of the odours.

Nearly 19 per cent got two or three out of five correct, while 2.2 per cent could only identify one and one per cent were unable to tell what any of the scents were.

“These results show that the sense of smell is closely connected with brain function and health,” Professor Pinto said.

“We think smell ability specifically, but also sensory function more broadly, may be an important early sign, marking people at greater risk for dementia.

What I am going to consider as part of my health is collecting all these 5 things and clutter them around the house so it will be very apparent I won't forget the smell of each item! Hahaha...actually not really.

I do find studies like this valuable because dementia and Alzheimers are not very nice diseases and finding out if you are at risk would be important so you can get a treatment that could slow, and maybe one day, reverse the symptoms.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

A diet high in BDNF...brain derived neurotropic factors, walking as well as resistance training has been shown to reverse lesions on the hippocampus associated with both Alzheimer's and dementia. So eat broccoli and wear alota leather😉

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Nice find! I “lost” a family member to Alzheimers, and it was heartbreaking. It also means I have a history to worry about. I’m going to print out the article and give it to my children so that they can test me every so often!

Thanks!

ETA: here is a working Link
edit on 9/29/2017 by Lolliek because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Whew,still can smell all of them-especially leather.Thats probably cause of bikes ,lol.Thats a bad way to go,had relatives who suffered through it and it`s one of the worst ways I can think of.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

In two years you will be wondering why you got that junk in your house. You will forgot why they are there.

If my joke sounds ridiculous, just forget that I said it.

edit on 29-9-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

A MAJOR scientific breakthrough has caused researchers to hypothesise that Alzheimer’s disease starts when the brain believes it is under threat from bacteria and viruses.

www.express.co.uk...

Cat parasite linked to risk of Alzheimer’s disease

Research published in the current issue of the Journal of Parasitology suggests a potential link between a common parasite and Alzheimer’s disease.

www.alzheimers.org.uk...

edit on 29-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join