It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Bad is the situation in PR well 675 Gas Stations are Open

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Not that it really sounds great but progress is progress the Washington Post has a seemingly fair story that fills in a lot of informational blanks that seem to be left out everywhere.

Lots of good news for a Friday so tear it up and don't forget FAKE NEWS!!!!

WP

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

link?

And this is Trump's fault.

edit: /sarc

edit on 29-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Yes its trumps fault and there is a link.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Regarding Havey -

"PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: Believe me, we will be bigger, better, stronger than ever before. The rebuilding will begin. And in the end, it will be something very special."

Regarding Maria-

Donald J. Trump ✔@realDonaldTrump
...The fact is that Puerto Rico has been destroyed by two hurricanes. Big decisions will have to be made as to the cost of its rebuilding!
4:18 AM - Sep 29, 2017

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I know for a fact Florida Marine Patrol are sending their SOG units (AKA SWAT) to help protect supplies and trucks shipping the supplies to needed areas. Apparently supply trucks have been robbed and it's beginning to be a problem..

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

While many lawmakers from both parties said the Jones Act waiver would speed assistance for Puerto Rico and reduce costs, U.S. shipping executives — including Crowley’s — and maritime unions warned that the bottleneck was on the island, not on the seas. Huge swaths of the population still lack fuel, water supplies and communication links. John Rabin, acting administrator for FEMA Region II, said the agency has established 11 staging areas and delivered food and water to 78 municipalities. He said that 676 gasoline stations were open Thursday morning, although residents said that supplies ran out by early afternoon at many of the stations.

Today is going to be a very difficult and hard day,” Rabin said. “Hopefully today will be a little bit better than yesterday was. And hopefully tomorrow will be a bit better.” One of the most troublesome obstacles to relief efforts has been the electrical grid, crippled by fallen transmission and distribution lines. Though utilities belong to national groups that help coordinate out-of-state workers to help repair storm damage, so far the mainland utilities have sent crews only to help assess damage. Sue Kelly, president of the American Public Power Association, said Wednesday there was no point in sending repair crews who need food, water and shelter if they did not have the poles, wires and trucks needed. Meanwhile, lawmakers in Congress and Puerto Rican Gov. Ricardo Rosselló have been jockeying over who should take charge of the humanitarian response effort.

Doesn't sound that great...This is a enormous undertaking that can't be fixed in a few weeks...I'm surprised but thankful that we are not hearing worse things happening...potable water and sanitation is critical...
edit on 29-9-2017 by chrismarco because: Replaced can with can't

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Really? President Trump can now miraculously control weather?

Wow. All President Trumps fault.

That's cool! I mean, crappy that he did it...but hell, is he going to shoot unicorns out of his rear end next?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
On Wednesday, FEMA administrator Brock Long confirmed that The Comfort was busy beefing up supplies as well as its crew and medical staff.

The Washington Post reports that Navy Cmdr. Mike Kafka, a service spokesman, said that sending the vessel was a “prudent decision in light of current conditions on ground.”

The Comfort will not be alone. Potter stated the Navy USS Kearsarge (LHD-3), USS Wasp (LHD-1) and USS Oak Hill ('___'-51) has already been providing humanitarian aid to the region.

The Comfort takes a while to bring the medical staff in from all over and to get supplies in. Somethings just take time. People have to be served orders, fresh medical supplies need to be brought in by the truck full. Great news

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: GuidedKill

FDLE is its own entity too

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

I think we can all agree that Trump did not cause the hurricanes.

However his leadership during Puerto Rico's recovery is what will come into question.

He's off to a shaky start. I hope that he doesn't drop the ball. We will see.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: iWontGiveUP

FDLE is its own entity too

Yes they are but I haven't heard of them sending people. Do you hear FDLE was sending personal?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
#occupypuertorico

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
He's off to a shaky start.

How?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FHomerK

Really? President Trump can now miraculously control weather?

Wow. All President Trumps fault.

That's cool! I mean, crappy that he did it...but hell, is he going to shoot unicorns out of his rear end next?

Sorry my sarcasm doesn't always come out. I was being sarcastic.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

They are ALWAYS everywhere...

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   
What gets me is many talented keyboard artists have not a clue how things have to work in order for help to get where it needs to go - instead they offer unwarranted and ignorant criticism of the process.

Puerto Rico is about 100 miles long and 30 miles wide and equals area most closely with Rhode Island.

Airports closed initially with damage, no power for radar or atc operations and no operating infrastructure to service or fuel airplanes - air bridge compromised and flights very limited until repairs made.

Initially ports were closed due sunken damaged boats, damaged docking areas, no power for loading/unloading equipment - all that had be cleared and repaired just to get ship cargo to island.

Even with operating sea/air bridge the material delivered cannot be distributed due blocked road network.

Massive clearing of downed trees, power lines and debris are required just to deliver rudimentary supplies - much less beginning to replace the destroyed power infrastructure.

If one has an ability to now picture the situation they'd see proposing hookups to nuclear powered ships and sending 900' hospital ships with no place to dock and no port facilities to hook up to are futile gestures offering false hopes.

The approach seen is correct one, clear and open ports first, work way out clearing debris for relief delivery and follow on with infrastructure repair.

Air assets used for serving dire needs to areas yet closed off by blocked roads.

On mainland it took three plus days to clear roads in Alabama and Mississippi to open north and eastern approach to New Orleans after Cat3 Katrina causing misconceptions by media on that response. Notwithstanding Nagin and Blancos sheer ineptitude. Mississippi actually had far worse damage.

News report yesterday said over 3000 containers were sitting at ports with not enough distribution capabilities to deliver goods - shortage roads, fuel, drivers.

That kinda makes calls for Jones Act repeal just another false hope that really won't change on the ground situation.

Clearing roads and opening paths of distribution is the clear priority that allows alleviation of people in need.

Its plain ol' hard work, not wishful thinking or political bickering that'll get help out to people in Puerto Rico.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

Doesn't sound that great...This is a enormous undertaking that can't be fixed in a few weeks...I'm surprised but thankful that we are not hearing worse things happening...potable water and sanitation is critical...

Cell phone reception (and phones) are still mostly out. We've been trying to contact a friend down there who hasn't been heard from since the hurricane. She lives in a tiny town on the east coast and we haven't been able to find anyone from there so far. Roads seem to be impassible.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Don't listen to MSM. They are trying so desperately to turn this into Trump's Katrina.

Puerto Rico is a vastly different situation from Texas and Florida with its own set of challenges.

Below is an interview with Governor of Puerto Rico on The View and of course they are blasting Trump and surprise, his answers are completely opposite of the narrative they are trying to push. Just because Trump isn't tweeting about it, doesn't mean things aren't happening down there.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Phoenix

Thank you for that, I read that currently with no cell service that contacting the truck drivers necessary to deliver supplies has been impossible and emergency supplies are stacking up and sitting. Frustration is running high as well.

I agree up here in the States we absolutely have no idea of the reality on the ground.
Despite Katrina's devastation there was still an infrastructure surrounding the area to get help to New Orleans, In PR there is nothing surrounding an island that got flattened.

Huge difference.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
From the WP article

One of the most troublesome obstacles to relief efforts has been the electrical grid, crippled by fallen transmission and distribution lines. Though utilities belong to national groups that help coordinate out-of-state workers to help repair storm damage, so far the mainland utilities have sent crews only to help assess damage. Sue Kelly, president of the American Public Power Association, said Wednesday there was no point in sending repair crews who need food, water and shelter if they did not have the poles, wires and trucks needed.

Unfortunate common sense answer. It will take time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join