It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite underrated or overlooked movies/TV shows?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
a reply to: Domo1

There's one genre that I really like, but I never know how to phrase it. Sort of trapped in the woods or somewhere remote with killers on the loose. Make camping more fun.

Me too! In the film below, the killer in the woods is nature. It didn't seem to do well financially but, I thought it was a good movie (based on a true story) and the bear attack scene...well, it sort of made me look over my shoulder when camping or hiking in the woods for awhile after watching it.

Wikipedia quotes the critics consensus as

Tense, well-acted, and at once atmospheric as well as brutally impactful
and I would agree.
The scenery is breathtaking and her struggle to survive believable, IMO.

Thanks for that one, didn´t know it!
I am exactly at 33minutes, both slept in, in the tent, harmony, freedom, the girl wakes up and hears sounds from the outside, crackling sounds as if somebody is walking around out there.

I know that feeling from my childhood, when we camped whenever we were allowed by our parents!
Now i have to continue watching...

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
"The tick" on Amazon Prime delivers ridiculously over the top comic book heroes and villains in comedic comic book action. Pretty much action/comedy with interesting characters.

"Rick and Morty" is an animated short that airs during Adult swim and is kind of a parody of the characters "Doc and Marty" (back to the future). Rick is Morty's alcoholic emotionally abusive mad super genius grandfather. They travel through different dimensions on all kinds of crazy adventures. Sci-fi adventure/comedy

"Ozark" with Jason Bateman on Netflix is great. A Chicago financial adviser who launders money for a cartel (Bateman) has to stay one step ahead in order to keep himself and his family alive. They end up moving to the Ozark in Missouri and run into a whole bunch of interesting/shady characters.

"Preacher" also based on a comic book follows a Texas preacher who has "the gift of God" and his merry band of misfits who include A centuries old friendly drug addict vampire and a femme fatale badass named Tulip. God is missing and they are out to find him.

"American gods" is a Surreal kind of story of a recently released ex con who lands himself in the employ of mysterious man who leads him into "the battle of the new gods and the old ones". Kinda supernatural occultish adventure.

That's just a few I'm watching at present. If those sound interesting I hope you enjoy.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: RainbowPhoenix
"The tick" on Amazon Prime delivers ridiculously over the top comic book heroes and villains in comedic comic book action. Pretty much action/comedy with interesting characters.

"Rick and Morty" is an animated short that airs during Adult swim and is kind of a parody of the characters "Doc and Marty" (back to the future). Rick is Morty's alcoholic emotionally abusive mad super genius grandfather. They travel through different dimensions on all kinds of crazy adventures. Sci-fi adventure/comedy

"Ozark" with Jason Bateman on Netflix is great. A Chicago financial adviser who launders money for a cartel (Bateman) has to stay one step ahead in order to keep himself and his family alive. They end up moving to the Ozark in Missouri and run into a whole bunch of interesting/shady characters.

"Preacher" also based on a comic book follows a Texas preacher who has the gift of "the voice of God" and his merry band of misfits who include A centuries old friendly drug addict vampire and a femme fatale badass named Tulip. God is missing and they are out to find him.

"American gods" is a Surreal kind of story of a recently released ex con who lands himself in the employ of mysterious man who leads him into "the battle of the new gods and the old ones". Kinda supernatural occultish adventure.

That's just a few I'm watching at present. If those sound interesting I hope you enjoy.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:04 AM
link   

"Preacher" also based on a comic book follows a Texas preacher who has the gift of "the voice of God" and his merry band of misfits who include A centuries old friendly drug addict vampire and a femme fatale badass named Tulip. God is missing and they are out to find him.

edit on 29-9-2017 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Also, check out The Expanse!

That is a DEEP show... puts one in mind of the directing style of Kubrick, and the writing is, in my opinion, a new measure of excellence in sci-fi television.

Really? You liked that? I didn't even make it through the first episode. Most annoying stupid bad show ever. Horrible actors and just boring.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   

That 70's show...I miss being young and now I've turned into that dad...

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

OMG! What a coincidence I'm re-watching that literally right now!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: chrismarco

I don't think "that 70s show" fits the underrated or overlooked category.

Good show though.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

Great! If you can make it through the bear scene, I would love to hear if you wind up liking the movie. I think the actress is stunning and just a good choice really for the part.

If I had one complaint, it would be that the ending left me a little deflated. I think that they could have come up with something a little more dramatic. But, it IS based on true events so perhaps the ending is true to that.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

I don't know if Westworld is underated or overlooked but it's fantastic. I don't get why some shows need two years to put out of season though. They aren't like GOTs.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Preacher was the first show whose pilot made me go WTF is even going on. If anything watch it just for that. Its a pretty crazy show.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Immortal (2004) - not to be confused with Immortals (2011)

Directed by Enki Bilal and based on his own graphic novels/comic books. Very unique visual style. Do an image search for Enki Bilal if you don't know his work! Immortal has a rating of 6/10 on IMDb. Personally I would rate it 8/10.

Flying pyramid over 2095 New York? Check!
Egyptian gods? Check!
Horus being a dick? Check!

Immortal on IMDb

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Ewerfekt

Watched all of the episodes, would recommend most.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Oh man, I watched that a few weeks ago. Good movie. I was actually having a little mental issue when I commented on the documentary Grizzly Man. i could have SWORN I saw a movie where that thing that happened happened, but I knew it wasn't in the documentary.

This was a pretty good movie. Made me mad, but that was the point.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Immortel. Good movie but really strange.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Man I read the book(s) but couldn't get into the show. It actually really bummed me out because I was so excited to watch. The book is usually better for me (I know it sounds trite), but I almost alway enjoy the movie or show too. it's fun to see another persons view. Awesome suggestion, exactly the kind of thing I SHOULD have liked. I might give it another chance. I think I watched the show REAL fresh after reading the books, so that might have tainted it.

You should move to Seattle and watch movies with me. I think it would be fun.

Have you seen What We Do In The Shadows? I think you would get a kick out of it.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Flatcoat

Too many times. Cracks me up. Alan Tudyk is an awesome actor.

Love that movie.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
For TV

American Gods
Ash vs Evil Dead
Dream Corp LLC
Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

Films

A Boy And His Dog (one of the best endings in cinema)
Dark City DC
FAQ About Time Travel
Lifeforce
The 13th Floor
The Parallax View

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
As mentioned, Brain Dead. It is hilarious, quirky, and puts the whole Rep. v Dem. in a d@mning light! I mean, c'mon! Vegan republicans?! HAHAHA!!

When I got home on Tuesdays, there was always this show on that once I started watching, well, it is a chick show but is also a lot of fun! Gilmore Girls. A mother and daughter in a small town, making it on their own after a big family fall out are both struggling to make sense of their world. Surrounded by a cast of quirky characters and some well known guest appearances, the show will make you laugh and cry (because you're laughing so hard!). I mean, c'mon! Who is cool enough to have Sonic Youth playing in the town square during a panning shot?!

If you haven't (who hasn't?) seen Firefly then watch the series and then the movie, Serenity. (Nerd Alert!!!) If you've seen the Battle Star Galactica reboot, in the first episode you will see the ship launching off! A cult classic.

Another chick show... Supergirl. It is corny as h3ll, but there is something loveable about Supergirl that makes the show work.

For the The Big Bang Theory for super heroes, check out Scorpion. Like TBBT, if you have half a mind, you'll figure out what is going to happen. After a couple shows, I just gave up and let it unfold. Again, the cast makes the show work even if the plots are obvious.

I like both Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu, so Elementary is a perfect fit. If you haven't seen it, Eli Stone (JLM), is uh,... different, but worth the watching.

Freaks and Geeks blows That 70's Show out of the water! One season is all you get. but you can watch it multiple times because it is that good.

Enjoy! If you like even two of these shows we can be friends!!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is probably the most underrated show I can think of at the moment. Literally no one I know is talking about it or watching it, but the quality is through the roof. The best Stephen King adaptation for a VERY long time. Excluding perhaps the new IT. But, that's a movie, this is high quality TV. I think it's on HULU? Horror/Suspense TV at it's finest. MR. MERCEDES....

Next for laughs I would recommend...

Just got into Vice Principals recently and it's got me laughing HARD. Brilliant dark comedy.

Next, already mentioned, but I think it needs to be mentioned again...

American Gods is pure art on television. Admittedly, I wasn't even going to watch because I thought they were going to make a joke of a great Neil Gaiman novel, but holy jesus is it good! Give it a chance! The visuals, the music, the acting are brilliant!

Can't even begin a movie list right now. I'd be here all night. But, the above 3 are all pretty new and all pretty underrated I think.
edit on 29-9-2017 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join