It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lockheed to Build Laser for USAF SHIELD Program

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

The "Laser Advancements for Next-Generation Compact Environments" contract to Lockheed Martin's laser and sensor branch, based in Washington state, requires the company to develop a laser to work with a beam-control system designed by Northrop Grumman and a pod built by Boeing. LANCE is the third and final major contract of the Self-Protect High-Energy Laser Demonstrator program.

Maj. Gen. John McMullen, vice commander of Air Combat Command, said in June SHiELD aims to integrate an external laser onto an F-15 in fiscal year 2018 before designing a weapon to fit inside the aircraft. The service will try to shoot down an infrared-guided missile in a high-power test expected in FY-21.

insidedefense.com...

Am I reading that right? The Laser is to be integrated this next year on the F-15? The 3 year gap between the integration and the shoot down is...interesting.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Pew...Pew...Pew.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Three years is about right. Integration could take place anywhere up until next October, and they will have to do aerodynamic tests, low power tests, and work up to the full power test.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Just think, Zaph!

Loyal Wingmen with freakin laser beams on their wings!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Yeah, but they're only going to be IRCM systems.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:03 AM
link   
When do we fit these damn things on the sharks?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Yeah, but they're only going to be IRCM systems.

IRCM?? Whatzat?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

InfraRed CounterMeasure. Also DIRCM, or LAIRCM for Directed and Large Aircraft.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Thanks. I figured the IR, but not the CM.

I am curious about the ballpark range capabilities. The smaller the aircraft, the less juice, one would think.

I'd guess the ideal shot would be head-on to the incoming missile. Easier tracking and aiming?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Most have 360 degree coverage, unless they choose to concentrate on high IR areas. They're put on in pairs where possible, one on top, one bottom. The LAIRCM generally only put them on the belly, to guard against MANPADS on takeoff and landing.
edit on 9/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Most have 360 degree coverage. They're put on in pairs where possible, one on top, one bottom. The LAIRCM generally only put them on the belly, to guard against MANPADS on takeoff and landing.

I'd assume the computing issue is the easy part. The physical hardware controlling the aiming must be flat out amazing!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

The problems are largely aim control, speed of targeting, and handoff from targeting to firing and seeing if it hit. The handoff is the real sticking point because it's got to go from targeting to shooting so fast. And there's no time for a shoot/look/shoot scenario. So it's constantly looking while it's shooting and changing the aim point.
edit on 9/29/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

The problems are largely aim control, speed of targeting, and handoff from targeting to firing and seeing if it hit. The handoff is the real sticking point because it's got to go from targeting to shooting so fast. And there's no time for a shoot/look/shoot scenario. So it's constantly looking while it's shooting and changing the aim point.

Maybe something like EMC2 could handle LOL
doing the looking part

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Trillium

Northrop was planning to fly a fast jet DIRCM designed for the F-35 at the end of 2013 or early 2014. They were pretty sure that they had solved the problem.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

a reply to: Trillium

Northrop was planning to fly a fast jet DIRCM designed for the F-35 at the end of 2013 or early 2014. They were pretty sure that they had solved the problem.

You've got my wheels turning on this. Can I assume, that 'IR' is the problem? That digital returns via radar has been well 'addressed'. IR is more ....analog-like?

That these smaller SAMs aren't as smart, currently, as say an anti-ship missile?

Last question, this system is more addressing inbound SAMs to the Laser equipped aircraft rather than intercepting SAMs directing to a third aircraft??

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

One of the problems is detecting them. Radar guided missiles have signals that can be detected and tracked. An IR missile is totally passive and doesn't have a signal. But the biggest problem was just the speed of the engagement.

Theoretically it could be used to protect another aircraft, as long as both are in range, and the second aircraft has a shot at the seeker, but they're really just there to protect the aircraft they're mounted on.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

You can still detect an IR missile via radar right? Is there a form of radar that could get good enough tracking on it to aim with?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

You'd need a milimeter wave system or something similar. It would have to be something with really high resolution to see the missile, because it's so small. Honestly, EODAS is your best bet to see it.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

news.lockheedmartin.com...

From what I understand, they are more than a DIRCM. You don't use fiber lasers for DIRCM: that's massive overkill.

I have to wonder if the Loyal Wingman program will end up being the protection for the AWACS as laser and missile carriers.

posted on Nov, 6 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   

It's also light, can be seriously compact, doesn't have to worry about dealing with godawful toxic fuel, and can be built to just about any size you need.

SHIELD is going to be able to be used against SAMs and radar guided missiles as well as in the IRCM role. You need a bigger laser for those missiles.
edit on 11/6/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join