It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I've Finally Done It

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   
No, not that it. Get your minds out of the gutter...

After several months of studying, trying, failing, studying and obsessing, I've finally conquered the insurance producers exam for my state. I'm one step away from being a licensed insurance agent. Now it's just a matter of my application being accepted by the insurance commissioner and then the slightly expensive process of getting licensed in each state.

Thankfully the job pays for that but it leaves me in a contractual relationship stating I'll stay working for them for at least a year. Fine by me, I honestly enjoy my job and co-workers.

I am a salesman for a pet insurance company. It's a weird niche in the insurance spectrum where it's healthcare but it's technically property and casualty because the law regards pets as property. So it's more like car insurance than health insurance. Weird stuff. And it's not liability so I get to avoid really horrible conversations about how some dog mauled some kid, which is nice.

But I see the regular complaints around here about how evil insurance companies are and I've bit my tongue because we're not all evil bastards. Some, probably many, are. You'll get no argument about that from me. But my people are good people. I've seen the company I work for take a loss to do the right thing, several times. We honor our words and stand by our paperwork instead of looking for loopholes to play with. It's the first office I've ever worked in where we don't have stereotypical 'office gossip'. That alone is amazing.

I'm just happy right now because if things continue to go well then I finally have a career. Broken, abused, poor, crazy ass, no college having, high school drop out, GED-rocking little old me with a career that's actually giving me decent money. Not amazing money, but good. Better than I've had before.

And I look at the people I've worked in call centers with that hold college degrees, in debt, hating their jobs and making near minimum wage (with zero commission no less) and I can't help but finally give a little smile. I did it. I overcame my situation and beat the odds. It is possible.

And to the people that think all insurance is so evil... You can't take away the gratitude I've heard from people. I've helped people save their pets lives. Hate all you want.
edit on 28-9-2017 by Noncents because: Correction

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Noncents

Hey, congratulations! I just passed the Property & Casualty producer's exam in my state a few months ago!

It's a great feeling passing that thing. Congratulations, majorly! You have a bright career ahead of you, I'm sure.

Just know that the insurance industry is like a wild animal that you need to constantly track in order to stay on top of whatever might be changing.. (take Uber or AirBNB for example). Awesome work - here's to a bright future Noncents

edit on 28-9-2017 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
You're doing pet owners a great service , and should be proud of what you sell !

Pets are cherished and when issues come up it's the difference between losing your pet or coughing up a small fortune.
Heck .. I'd promote your insurance company for free !

Congratulations on your accomplishments.
edit on 28-9-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore
You're not even playing, Fam. I just caught that last night where the Uber type services have to hold a million dollars in liability on their customers... crazy stuff. Thankfully most of that doesn't apply to my situation. I'll have to do the continued education thing and definitely track the regulation changes though. Still, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Man, that test was rough though. One of the hardest things I've done in my adult life.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye
Thanks Shaye. I'm honestly not trying to promote anything just a little bit of defense against the regular barrage of anti-insurance stuff I see around here. Good people do still come together to do good things in this world. It's not all bad and it's wild that something as evil as insurance has really taught me that. There's still a lot of bad in the industry as a whole.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:31 PM
link   
-'grats..

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Noncents
No, not that it. Get your minds out of the gutter...

After several months of studying, trying, failing, studying and obsessing, I've finally conquered the insurance producers exam for my state. I'm one step away from being a licensed insurance agent. Now it's just a matter of my application being accepted by the insurance commissioner and then the slightly expensive process of getting licensed in each state.

All right. I'm keeping my mind in the gutter but congratulating you anyway. It's just easier for me.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

You the Man (or Woman)! So proud for you and Pet Insurance is such a good idea...out of pocket I spent around $10K for two back surgeries for one of my Mini Dachshunds. It gave me 5 more years with her, and I would have done anything for her, but insurance sure would have been nice.

Go get em! Great job!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Congrats to you for putting a real effort in.

Wishing you much success at your new career.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
I'm keeping my mind in the gutter but congratulating you anyway. It's just easier for me.

Gonna be honest and go with you and the other 'silent' 259,000 members of ATS.

Congrats Noncents!!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
I'm keeping my mind in the gutter but congratulating you anyway. It's just easier for me.

Gonna be honest and go with you and the other 'silent' 259,000 members of ATS.

Congrats Noncents!!

I'll tell you a secret...

It's really the same 800 members that get banned and recycled over and over

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
edit on 28-9-2017 by mericks74 because: -..

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Congrats on passing the test...and much luck on your new career!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Congrats, just don't let the money and shady policies change who you are or affect your morals.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
No worries. If there were shady policies I would have already left and found employment elsewhere. I've never been the type to stick to a job that's screwing people and because of that I've worked in a lot of different industries while looking for my thing.

On the money front, yeah, money corrupts. But it's not amazing money. Just enough to have a cushion instead of living check to check. I'm good with that.

Everybody else, thanks for the kind words. We get what we put out into the world.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Congratulations
Very happy for you,always a great feeling to see someone better their lives and life circumstances via hard work and determination.Wish you all the best for the future!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Bravo

It's good to hear of someone doing well for themselves. Hard work and determination can go a long way still in today's world, IMO.
I've never carried pet insurance but, perhaps should. Two dogs, a cat and the fish. Can the birds that visit the feeders be insured? Just curious.
If you're in TN, hit me up.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:50 AM
link   
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Insurance is a underrated career. It usually pays well unless you are a agent, in which case it's essentially a sales job, but the cases you handle are still interesting. Makes for some great stories!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird
The company I work for doesn't cover birds or fish but I did some very light searching and it looks you might be able to find something. Some companies require a vet visit or medical records so if they're wild birds that regularly visit you then that could be tricky.

top topics

join