It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bias in the liberal media in Austin, Texas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BeenieWeenie

I am in Ohio but had subscription to LA times on line. Got the same little song and dance about posting comments about certain political commentary some of their writers were engaged in. They shut me down. And really for only questioning their conclusions.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I really cannot tell if that is bias or not. But left-wing bias in general has been a mainstay of media and culture since god-knows-when. Countless books have been written on it.Orwell talked about it quite a bit back in the mid-20th century.

Then, too, the factions on the Republican side which the Russians were determined to crush were recklessly libelled in the English leftwing press, and any statement in their defence even in letter form, was refused publication.

Freedom of the Press

Particularly on the Left, political thought is a sort of masturbation fantasy in which the world of facts hardly matters.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

You realize that when Orwell was alive the parties were the opposite of what they are now? Don't let that little thing called history get in the way of slandering one side and one side only though.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

First of all, paragraphs. Paragraphs are good and help for easy reading.

Next, did your posts violate their terms of service or not??? I'm guessing they did which is why they were deleted.

So if you broke the rules how are they in the wrong here???

Man you don't really believe that do you? Its often their way of getting rid of open opposition, no reason really given.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

You realize that when Orwell was alive the parties were the opposite of what they are now? Don't let that little thing called history get in the way of slandering one side and one side only though.

He lived in England. He doesn't mean the Republican party of the US. But don't let the real version of history get in the way of your version.
edit on 28-9-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   

So what he said has nothing to do with the here and now in America? Thanks for clearing that up for us! Now I'm wondering why you mentioned that at all.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Logarock

What you don't seem to get is that the OP is complaining about them being biased when it's pretty clear he too is biased and just doesn't like that they pulled his comments.

It's total projection. Everyone must be biased because they don't agree with your own bias, in other words.

Just look at all the anti-left posts on here today. (Must be a slow news day.) Just posts of personal bias and hate blaming everything on liberals and the left like usual. But of course those doing it don't see that as biased at all. It's perfectly rational.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

So what he said has nothing to do with the here and now in America? Thanks for clearing that up for us! Now I'm wondering why you mentioned that at all.

I mentioned it to argue that people have been talking about a left-media bias for quite some time, like I said in my first post...you know, the one you thought Orwell was talking about the Republican party of the United States.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

They're journalists ... maybe they're sticklers for paragraph form?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Yet the left wing party of England in the mid 20th century is not the same as the left wing party in America today.

Again, I don't see how it is at all relevant to current issues in America.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Not everyone has your fine sense of nuance in regard to totalitarian regimes LM.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Yet the left wing party of England in the mid 20th century is not the same as the left wing party in America today.

Again, I don't see how it is at all relevant to current issues in America.

I'm talking about left-wing media bias. Is this some sort of post-modern tactic you're trying to use?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Not everyone has your fine sense of nuance in regard to totalitarian regimes LM.

I was just talking about Orwell's criticism of the left-wing press.

Discussion is like pulling teeth with you guys.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

What about the right wing media bias? No one has ever written a book or talked about that before?

The left wing media of England that Orwell knew is not the same as the left wing media of today in America. Again, what was the point of your post when it isn't relevant to today's current issues in America?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

I was just talking about Orwell's criticism of the left-wing press.

Discussion is like pulling teeth with you guys.

Tell me!

You can't take an honest compliment! Jesus get a life!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

In regards to the topic, I really cannot tell if that is bias or not. But left-wing bias in general has been a mainstay of media and culture since god-knows-when. Countless books have been written on it. Orwell talked about it quite a bit back in the mid-20th century.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Ok, you win. The left wing Orwell spoke of is not the same as the left wing being discussed in this thread, but it's ok, I'll let you have this one.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Sorry, I can never tell when you're being sincere> I assumed you were being facetious. If I'm wrong, apologies.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Ok, you win. The left wing Orwell spoke of is not the same as the left wing being discussed in this thread, but it's ok, I'll let you have this one.

If that's how you're going to limp away from my point, that's fine by me.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm
a reply to: Logarock

What you don't seem to get is that the OP is complaining about them being biased when it's pretty clear he too is biased and just doesn't like that they pulled his comments.

It's total projection. Everyone must be biased because they don't agree with your own bias, in other words.

Just look at all the anti-left posts on here today. (Must be a slow news day.) Just posts of personal bias and hate blaming everything on liberals and the left like usual. But of course those doing it don't see that as biased at all. It's perfectly rational.

media outlets should be like town halls. the media entity itself (in this case the Austin Whatever) should provide fair and non partisan, nonbiased information, and allow readers to comment and interpret, which means promoting a point of view. letters to the editor are rarely neutral.
OP is suggesting that the paper is printing liberal slanted news and pulling the plug on him when he tries to comment or analyze. they make their (leftist) points, he is not allowed to counter.
I've noticed that a lot of leftist media outlets won't allow or show comments on their online articles.

yes, there are some conservatively-slanted media outlets, but the leftist ones way outnumber.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join