It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Study Shows that Immigrants Don't Steal Jobs from American Citizens

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Of course not.

But if you've got cheap foreign labor comming in, people are gonna pay less..

Supply and demand.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

We buy veggies from the farmers market here and they are fresh and just a little more than the ones in the stores. The small farmers aren't getting rich but they can make a living doing that if they wanted to get bigger. We buy a half a head of beef every year locally, it is certified grass fed and organic and the cost is higher because of that, but I have known this farmer from before they got that classification, so we pay the higher price. Their beef did not change much when they got the certification, but it costs about a buck and a half more per pound because they have to pay all the fees. If they raised more cattle, it would be less per head in fees, but they don't want to get bigger.

Now, when you compare things to California wages, then you get higher prices. Here wages and cost of living are less so that reduces costs about thirty percent from California. The stuff we buy at the farmers market is mostly all natural, no chemicals added to poison the food. Even the conventional farmers selling there don't use much pesticides, the people buying there are looking for clean food. they will pay the extra over store costs to get good food. I only wish that this was year round. Conventional farmers do use fertilizers not listed as organic though, but do try to use natural stuff if they have it. It is way better tasting than is found in the stores.

Remember, the workers at those ports are getting high wages because the cost of living is high in those areas. The immigrants do a lot of the work sorting the imported foods and supplies in those areas though I hear. I have no way of verifying that. I do know that imports are more tainted with chemicals to preserve freshness.

Only the real big farmers seem to get subsidies, I was looking at that information on a government site, less than ten percent of the farmers get a dime, the big ones get the money.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I have always felt illegal immigration is analogous to counterfeiting; counterfeit money devalues currency. Cheap illegal labor devalues workers already here. You cannot have the pool of total labor go up and not have the value of individual labor go down. In effect the more you have of any commodity available, the less it is worth. And as we all know in the 21st century global economy, workers are a commodity.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
To enlighten people here…

This idea about low wage-low skilled illegals taking jobs away from Americans is a straw man argument.

The problem is that middle class-- use to be high-wage jobs-- have been taken away by low wage foreigners NOT the low wage low skilled market.

The GREEDY capitalist oligarchs have fooled you all in arguing a straw man argument and you’re missing the real problem

WAKE UP

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Living in a border state, African Americans will NOT do the jobs that legal/illegal immigrants do. The immigrants are a blessing to us. We should welcome anyone who is willing to work their a$$ off like they do. It’s unbelievable to watch them work, actually. No wonder Maya’s and Incas built such massive structures. Get the MS13 out and these people in. Send BLM to Mexico and see how much their lives matter there. Anyone who is close to Mexicans can answer that.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
If wages are going up for them across the board, then how are illegals cutting into wages for citizens?

Imagine the gains had our borders been secured and our laws enforced.

Compared to what, exactly?

Obama deported more immigrants than many other presidents. As President Trump mentioned:

"President Obama has moved millions of people out. Nobody knows about it. Nobody talks about it. But under Obama, millions of people have been moved out of this country. They've been deported," Trump said.

edit on 21Fri, 29 Sep 2017 21:47:38 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago9 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   
When the gov. increases taxes to pay for illegal immigrant costs, and companies lay off workers because of higher taxes, then illegal immigrants do steal jobs from American citizens.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

They do steal jobs from us. I experience if first hand all the time. I'm a treaty first nations with a mining engineering degree and I've been beat out by immigrants for promotions every single time. Its infuriating, it's impossible for me to get ahead.

The article is bull#.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

They steal jobs from construction workers that is for sures. Have you never been to home Depot. I don't need some left wing study, I can see it with my eyes.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I've been looking for a job myself lately and have had zero luck. I have a degree in Medical Technology, but there are no job openings in that field where I'm living and there is no money to move elsewhere, so I've been applying to just about anything I qualify for. This is a very small town and a heavy oilfield and forestry area, so most jobs are in that sector. I don't have the experience, training, or vehicle of my own to apply for those jobs.

Sooo, I've been applying to hotels as a housekeeper, fast food restaurants, truck stops and retail stores. Zero luck until a few days ago when Walmart called. Most of the jobs that I applied for stated that they would give preference to Aboriginals, people new to Canada and students. I am none of those three. The truck stop flat turned me down, saying I wasn't what they were looking for. (Too qualified? Too old? Non-immigrant? I don't know. They didn't bother to elaborate.)

So, 4 years of college is not good enough for slinging burgers, cleaning rooms, or making coffee at a truck stop. Yay.

From my own anecdotal experience, I know there are many Americans that refuse to work minimum wage jobs, but NO person should be flat turned down from a job because they aren't an immigrant or minority. And no, those businesses that didn't call me in for an interview have still not filled those positions. The postings were up for nearly a month before I applied and they're still up right now.

At least Walmart called. A min wage job is better than no job and no money.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0twell i know a factory i used to work for that went to Mexico and recruited over a hundred Mexicans to come to us and work on their assembly lines instead of recruiting out of local job pool and after a few years when that did not work out one of the hr managers had her church sponsor several hundred refugee families of Burmese Christians and most of them work as assembly line workers at her factory still ignoring local worker pool. the reason they had to replace alot of the mexicans they were found to be using fake documents.

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I Work in the Trades , and from Personal Experience , this so called " Study " is Nothing but BS Propaganda . Illegal Mexicans and other Illegals from South America and Eastern European Countries are Hired by Contractors because they are Willing to Work for Half of what Legal American Citizens Earn according to their Skill Level , thus Driving Down Wages for All who work in the Trades . Under the Obama Administration , Contractors who Hired Illegals were not Pursued by Law Enforcement for Tax Evasion and Insurance Liability which is Against the LAW . Under the Trump Administration , there is Hope that the LAWS in this Country will Finally be Obeyed Again Starting with a President who believes in their Enforcement , and a Populace of Hard Working , Tax Paying Americans that Demand it .
edit on 30-9-2017 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   

So, you still don't understand the difference between "immigrants" and "illegal immigrants"?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join