It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Had a real moment of nostalgia today that made me sad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I took my daughter to the park this evening. Lovely autumn late afternoon early evening where the sun is starting to die down and it's all very still.

Whilst she was running around, a group of school kids came into the park and were messing about, still wearing their uniforms.

You know the usual, boys winding up the girls, chasing them and taking the mickey, girls standing around talking about girl stuff.... Really took me back to my school days where I savoured these months of the year as I was allowed out later (as it still doesn't get dark early yet)

Suddenly I realised just how much I miss being that age, when life seems so simple. I also realise how much I took it for granted and wasted it being such a little #!

What I would give just to go back in time and do things differently.

Made me feel very sad
... Yeah I know, don't look back in the past focus on the future bla bla, but I am not ashamed to admit I had to stop myself shedding a tear.

Upon reflection I think what upset me more then anything was looking at these kids enjoying life without a care and realising that they just have no idea of what an evil world they are about to encounter in a few years time.. the stress of bills and work, relationships etc etc. I almost wish I could save them.

Anyway there's a nice bit of depressive material for you all haha. I need to pull myself together. Be right back., going to go and play tag with myself and climb a tree
edit on 28/9/2017 by fusiondoe because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/9/2017 by fusiondoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: fusiondoe

You painted a very good picture...now Im feeling nostalgic for games of hide n seek with the neighbor kids and skipping rocks at the creek.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Just a part of being a normal human being wishing to go back
to simpler times, relive the past,or repair it.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

I been feeling nostalgic a lot the past few years. I will give you the latest example. I grew up in the 80's/90's and as a young child I used to love to skateboard. I don't think I have been on a skateboard since 2000. But lately I been looking at the boards from the 80's mostly Powell Peralta (a popular company when I was a kid). I used to love all the artwork associated with these boards and I remember when I finally got my very own board. I was 8 years old and my grandmother got it for me for Xmas. She was a cool grandma. She brought me to the skate shop and I picked out exactly the one I wanted..I remember exactly what it looked like and the name of the particular board "Mechanical Dragon"..it was a beauty. So recently I couldn't help myself I actually built one from an old school website and purchased it. It arrived last week..I keep picking it up and just admiring it..I don't even know if I will try to ride it..probably sounds silly but it makes me happy..ahh nostalgia..

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Youve heard the saying "You cant go back?"...its true. Oh, you can visit the past for a bit, sure.

But if you did go back...then you wouldnt be the poster who made this thread about nostalgia, rt? And you wouldnt be who you are here, right now!

PS And the older you get? The more youll begin to remember from when you were younger. The mind is funny that way. Remember the past when you were 5 or 14....and not be sure if you turned the oven off.....this morning!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:21 PM
link   
There is hope if you look at it right. 20 years from today what you are now will seem still young to you then. Might want to go kick your heels up now so you'll know for sure you really did it and were aware you did today 20 years from now. Then the real trick is to just keep doing it

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrCrowley88

I been feeling nostalgic a lot the past few years. I will give you the latest example. I grew up in the 80's/90's and as a young child I used to love to skateboard. I don't think I have been on a skateboard since 2000. But lately I been looking at the boards from the 80's mostly Powell Peralta (a popular company when I was a kid). I used to love all the artwork associated with these boards and I remember when I finally got my very own board. I was 8 years old and my grandmother got it for me for Xmas. She was a cool grandma. She brought me to the skate shop and I picked out exactly the one I wanted..I remember exactly what it looked like and the name of the particular board "Mechanical Dragon"..it was a beauty. So recently I couldn't help myself I actually built one from an old school website and purchased it. It arrived last week..I keep picking it up and just admiring it..I don't even know if I will try to ride it..probably sounds silly but it makes me happy..ahh nostalgia..

That's awesome! The irony is that you will prob get on the board eventually and fall straight of it haha! (Out of practice)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

Youve heard the saying "You cant go back?"...its true. Oh, you can visit the past for a bit, sure.

But if you did go back...then you wouldnt be the poster who made this thread about nostalgia, rt? And you wouldnt be who you are here, right now!

PS And the older you get? The more youll begin to remember from when you were younger. The mind is funny that way. Remember the past when you were 5 or 14....and not be sure if you turned the oven off.....this morning!

So much truth in this post ^^ I thought I was the only person that did this haha! Damn where did I put my keys...... oh wow I remember walking into that shop 3 days after my 6th birthday and saying hi to that lady wearing the blue shirt

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
THIS SONGS ALWAYS BRINGS ME THAT NOSTALGIA.

THAT KID IS STILL IN ME

SOMETIMES I THINK ABOUT WHAT THE WORLD WOULD BE LIKE IF THINGS LIKE THE INTERNET, VIDEO/IMAGE CAPTURING DEVICES, CONDOMS, STUFF LIKE THIS WERE NEVER INVENTED/DISCOVERED
edit on 28-9-2017 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-9-2017 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Ahhhhh...we have all been there....when you think back how good you had it just think about how much better you are making your child's childhood...you can to some extent have her do the things you enjoyed and them some..

Kenney Chesney (I go back) really brings it home..
edit on 28-9-2017 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Ive been going through this lately.. I sort of just entered anither chapter in life.. More like a new book haha.. Funny Im not looking at the last chapter this time but three chapters ago. The strangest part of my life.. Nothing will ever be like that again. No girl will ever be like her.. I was just looking at her when she was 4.. I guess mixing my happiest moments together maybe.. I was such a little devil.

No even when I was 5 I wanted to be a kid again.. Going to kindergarten was just the first signs that life was no longer free.. I was very saddened by this.. I would sit up at night staring at my off white ceiling.. looking at all the tiny marks, brushstromes cracks imperfections and dirt... just focuusing my eyes as my mind thought about how sucky everything is now. And the permanence of it all.. My four year old self was gone forever.. I was mad at the universe for these stupid rules.. Why does it have to be this way!

As you may imagine Ive lived most of my life in this state of looking back. when I was 6 I was like damn I wish I was in kindergarten again.. I wasted all my time wishing I was 4 when I was 5..

blah blah and by now Ive lived enough for two lifetimes. Im grateful.

This time of year makes me really nostalgic and Im not really sure why.. My birthday is coming up.. The leaves will be crunching under my feet soon.. Start getting darker again? Playing outside..

Gets me every year.. Feels like starting over.
Again..

And where am I going this time?
Who knows lol, but at least Im happy.
Nostalgia is one of my favorite emotions.. Really takes you back one more time.
edit on 28-9-2017 by Reverbs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Yea, I got one that's maybe a bit sadder than yours. Every school I ever attended is closed. I largely went to school overseas being an oil brat. Went to high school on a US Airforce base......closed. Went to an "Oil Companies School"; closed. Went to high school in Rome, Italy......closed. Must of my entire childhood was spent in places that I either can never return to........or are too expensive to get to except may every 10 years or so. We didn't have Facebook so I've lost touch with everyone I ever went to school with; I did manage to keep in touch with my first girl friend into the mid-1990's but then lost touch never to locate again..........she's a Brit living, presumably, in London. I think about it occasionally and did keep in touch with an Alumni group from the Airforce Base High school for a while.......sad, really, they had reunions until last year, but last year only 20 showed up and they discontinued. Odd thing about that group was that it was very obvious that as far as they were concerned, the "good old days" ended upon graduation from High School and forced repatriation to the US.

I sometimes think I've got it bad, but I know people who had it worse. For example, the "Zonies"! Most people have long since forgotten who the Zonies were; they were the kids of military and the military personnel themselves stationed at the Panama Canal which Jimmy Carter paid the Panama government to take away from the US. (Its run by the Chinese now). Many of the Military Personnel at the Canal were themselves kids of former Panama Canal Zone Military Personnel......many of their kids had never set foot in the US. Many of the kids of the kids had only been in the US to go to Military school.

And then..........there's the US Military establishment in Europe. I had a friend in Rome who was the son of a US General stationed at some Command HQ in Verona, Italy. His father was the son of a US Colonel who'd retired out of Ramstein Air force base. My friend had never visited the US more than a week at a time his entire life; grew up on bases in Germany and Italy. Same was true of his father except for the years his father spent in the US Military Acadamey at West Point and some short tours before being assigned to US Army Europe. All these people are now called "Third Culture Kids".

That's a LOT of lost child hoods.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 12:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Your post really hit a chord with me. I am also a military brat. Went to school and graduated in Europe and went into culture shock returning to the US. Our school was also torn down. I graduated in a class of 60kids, 30 girls, 30 boys. 57 of us have kept in close touch for the past 24 years!. Two of our classmates refuse, and one has passed away. When I say seriously keep in touch, I mean really keep in touch. Whenever one of us is in a town we post it and meet up with others in that region. Many things are shared on Facebook, and a few classmates have even married each other! We have also had several reunions that were well attended. I think our experience was much different than most high schoolers, in that we view each other more as extended family and not so much classmates. I get very nostalgic about my days as a schoolgirl in Europe, and it is a little heart wrenching knowing that place is gone, but i'll hold it close to my heart. I know some people hate social media but for brats like me it has been a godsend. I only wish we had it while growing up and moving so much.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The culture shock was staggering, wasn't it. I remember landing in NYC and actually throwing up. Drove from NYC through Newark and onto Houston.....sick the whole trip. Newark looked like a bombed out German town after WWII.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

The two things I remember most about landing in the US was the horrible food and the extreme materialism. I lived in a small town in Belgium I took the simple life for granted. I am much healthier than most of my friends that grew up in the US and I think it is due to how we ate growing up, amazing European organic food straight from the market! I remember going to the bakery with my dall all the time, yet not a single one of us were overweight. We ate tons of carbs, tons of sweets. We did a lot of walking and an incredible amount of bike riding.

new topics

top topics

join