It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NFL Police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Hey there. First off: Much love to Everyone...

Now, then... For reference and simplifying purposes, I am stating, unauthoritively, that the kneelers are protesting the inequality of justice between police and citizens...

Here's an article from Jan.:
www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/head-nfl-referees-association-calls-player-rants-very-concerning-josh-norman-travis-kelce/12bpuiwb4j5bc1igxlr20co9b0

It is about how the NFL Referees' Association doesn't like, or is concerned with, players' criticisms of referees... I propose there is a similarity/correlation to the real world...

The refs are the police of the league... they are protected... Keep in mind, they are fallible, and I've also seen when their emotions have clouded their judgement... Players're not really allowed to criticize them (are they?)... If they do, they are fined (generally)... In many cases, if they touch them, they face even harsher consequences, like suspension... When was the last time a ref was disciplined? It does happen, but does it happen enough?... etc...

I don't think this is just the NFL, either... The NBA is similar, no?... I don't know much about Hockey... Baseball could probably be lumped in...

I would like to suggest, perhaps naively, that the NFL takes a leadership role addressing the issues at (National) hand, since they (Goodell and others in position of power) seem to be sympathetic to "the cause," and institute reform... it should be easier for the league than the nation, right, and then the nation can follow all of these role models' lead... The NFL should eliminate all injustices...

How?

I dunno... What do you think? (Am I missing the mark with this thought train?)

To conclude: Much love to Everyone.

i tried and failed to fix link, but copy/paste URL works, I think...
edit on 9/28/2017 by japhrimu because: Stoopid link

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu
The NFL should eliminate all injustices...

What injustices are there in the NFL that need to be eliminated?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

Any time the refs get something wrong, it's an injustice... is what I'm saying... kinda

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Double posted
edit on 9/28/2017 by japhrimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: japhrimu

That's what the challenge flag is for.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Does it always work? Do they always get it right? No.

What happens if they miss something? Can't challenge a no-call in most cases (again, I think, as a disclaimer)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Since you're the only one to respond as of yet, lemme get some constructive criticism from you, please...

Do you get my underlying story? Would you say the Refs are the equivalent of NFL police? I'm not necessarily taking a hard stance either way in the large debate....

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Well, to address the "no call" point, that's life. As you stated, they are people and they do make mistakes, they do miss some things, and they should not feel pressured to be 100% accurate. There should be no expectation of such by the players. Life is full of disappointments and is not always "fair".

People need to get off this zero error tolerance and deep need to have everything 100% fair. That is not how real life works. Get over it. Move on, adapt, and overcome.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I, for one, do NOT believe them or it for one second. Period.

For arguments sake, however, even if some, many or even most do believe what they are doing is for that reason, it doesn't matter one whit.

My analogy is if one murders, I couldn't care less what his 'reasoning' is. What his excuse is. It 'might' mitigate his sentence, but not his guilt.

No, this isn't murder. The analogy is restricted to an 'act'. One that is unacceptable. A pox on the reason.

Stop it or lose our support for your 'issues' your sport and league.

Love? Right on!! Tough love.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

I guess you could call them the police. There are similarities. Just like real police they do the best they can. It is easy for people to say what they should have done or something they missed in hindsight. When you are there at the game and everything is happening so fast with all the commotion going on, its not a very easy job.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Well, whatever happens, I have a lot money riding on Denver this weekend. Go Broncos!!!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Give the players black and white striped flags. Whenever a referee makes a bad call or misses a call, a player can throw a flag on that referee. These penalties would be subject to the same review process as penalties against players.

At the end of the regular season, the 5 referees with the most penalties are fined or fired. The referees with the fewest penalties get a bonus and are allowed to work in the playoffs.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Let me rephrase/simplify:

Refs are the NFL's police.
NFL doesn't allow criticism of Refs.
NFL DOES allow criticism of actual police.
NFL is therefore hypocritical / NFL resides in glass house. (For more reasons than just this one)
NFL, if truly righteous on THIS issue, would first check itself, not wreck itself...

(Better? Worse? To me, this particular thread is specifically about the NFL.)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Well said!

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
What injustices are there in the NFL that need to be eliminated?

That the Philthadelphia Eagles are not publicly flogged and then burned at the stake on the 50 yard line.

Fry Eagles, fry.

edit on 28-9-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: I ♥ cheese pizza.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: japhrimu

Any time the refs get something wrong, it's an injustice... is what I'm saying... kinda

Twilight Zone. Awesome!

So does this mean the football players are equating their experiences of when refs make bad calls with the rest of the human experience?

And are you suggesting vicariously that less unjust referee calls means would trigger the rise of a world of cushy rainbows and cuddly puppy dogs?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I would say it's more fun to watch them loose but we know what you think the real injustice is:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Exactly!

(But no, I'm not saying that, I wouldn't say... THEY're not doing the comparison... I am)

But seriously, again, if compartmentalized, in theory, relatively, yes?

Then again, I dunno...

Are you suggesting no?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The NFL should eliminate all injustices...

??? What is unjust to some is just to others, and vice versa. There has to be an authoritarian voice or there would be mayhem. Can you imagine a football field where the players call the shots, or where the players are required to make each determination or reach a consensus?! Does that authoritarian voice get it wrong sometimes? Yes. But, that authority, even while imperfect, must be respected.

NFL players are becoming full of themselves. They need to shut up and play the game. Let them spout off on a TV interview, or a rally, but not in the workplace. If they don't like referees' calls and authority, then leave the effin game and go do something else with your life. If you don't like the authority of law enforcement, there is a place waiting for you with three hots and a cot.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 01:27 PM
link   

The only injustice of the NFL is the amount that they pay their players, which causes the average fan to just have to sit at home and stare at a TV instead of going to a game.

Apparel, concessions, tickets, licensing, and many other things are starting to reach the unaffordable level for many people--and for many, it surpassed that level years ago. This is only one ingredient as to why the NFL is becoming less populare, IMO.

I remember a time when the big-three national channels would ALL have NFL games on at the same time, and now it's just one network on Sundays, limiting my ability to watch my team (Raiders) because I live near Cincinnati (and the sucky-ass Bengals...but I get to see every home game of that joke of a team).

The injustice of the NFL is that it puts its fans last in every respect of the word, and fans are getting tired of it. If the fans--their source of income--were a priority, they would remove the ability to protest political issues on the field as to not induce division amongst the fans who are there to watch a sport.

But instead, the NFL seems to double down in every. single. way. to put the fans last.

There's your injustice.

ETA: Also, the refs are more like the dictators of the NFL, not the police, or the judge, or the jury (they're all three combined).
edit on 28-9-2017 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join