It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"How Late Night Comedians Hurt America"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Goedhardt

Honorable men have fought and died for Americans to exercise their freedom of expression and 1st amendment rights.

Unlike that draft dodging coward Donald Trump.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: tribal
a reply to: angeldoll

make fun all you want, but dont suffer the delusion of actually thinking people will have their minds changed by any of this nonsense.

I love comedy and satire too.....but when thats all you have left....when you cant win the war of ideas with anything remotely compelling....i guess you better learn to enjoy your late night comedy hacks because thats all that remains of the "progressive" movement.

It's "all that's left"? Oh honey, it's only just beginning.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Words hurt people, I thought everyone knew that? I wish these late night comedians would be a little more PC and stop hurting people's feelings by saying things.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
They certainly have the right to do it and nobody should try to stop them. But they absolutely have gone into hyperdrive with Trump bashing since the election.

It turns me off so I simply turn them off.

But if those who are now upset that Russians did political bashing on Facebook which caused divisiveness then it would be hypocritical to be perfectly ok with this homegrown divisiveness. If they simply added a little balance and bashed the left equally, it would be back to just comedy.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Be honest. How many of you actually watched the video? The comments suggest you did not.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: HeadCrunchMcRockGroin
Be honest. How many of you actually watched the video? The comments suggest you did not.

I watched it. I thought it was inane commentary as I posted in the thread.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

You know what I find amusing is that Jimmy Kimmel is considered by many as a forward thinking progressive part of the right...anybody remember the man show and his Carl Malone bits or his Oprah and women bashing segments?

I would agree that people can change but when it comes to money people can really change...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

The third is pretty good but just trying to point out the hypocrisy

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

You're not bothered by how these "comedians" are attacked by the left and media if they do not toe the line? Do you remember these guys going after Obama? I remember them being pretty vicious on W too. In fact, it seems they are always going after the political opposition of the left. Hmmmm...

And what do you think about these late night shows being used to demonize and "otherise" anyone who doesn't agree with Democrats or the left? Do you think that's good for the country? I keep hearing how it's Russia trying to divide our country, yet everywhere I look it's the left and it's powerful media doing that.

Yeah, totally inane.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: chrismarco

You know what I find amusing is that Jimmy Kimmel is considered by many as a forward thinking progressive part of the right...anybody remember the man show and his Carl Malone bits or his Oprah and women bashing segments?

I would agree that people can change but when it comes to money people can really change

As the video author points out, these comedians are lambasted by the left wing media when they don't fall in to line or say something that runs counter to the narrative. That's why Kimmel is constantly virtue signaling now and of course, promoting Democrat/left mantra.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: HeadCrunchMcRockGroin

The left uses comedy to spread their message. The right uses hyperbole and fear to spread theirs. Both sides are guilty. I could make the SAME, EXACT argument you just made about conservative media personalities like Hannity, Limbaugh, or Beck. It's all divisive and focusing on one over the other just bleeds into the divisive political atmosphere that you are trying to call into question.

PS: I love your sn and avatar. That is my favorite mst3k episode of all time.
edit on 28-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Words hurt people, I thought everyone knew that? I wish these late night comedians would be a little more PC and stop hurting people's feelings by saying things.

I know. The truth hurts, so we should stop speaking it.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
lol.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Seems somebody never learned to take a joke...or view circumstances from opposite viewpoints.

And those are the people that love to bandy about terms like "snowflake."

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: HeadCrunchMcRockGroin

originally posted by: dfnj2015

You're not bothered by how these "comedians" are attacked by the left and media if they do not toe the line? Do you remember these guys going after Obama? I remember them being pretty vicious on W too. In fact, it seems they are always going after the political opposition of the left. Hmmmm...

And what do you think about these late night shows being used to demonize and "otherise" anyone who doesn't agree with Democrats or the left? Do you think that's good for the country? I keep hearing how it's Russia trying to divide our country, yet everywhere I look it's the left and it's powerful media doing that.

Yeah, totally inane.

What I am bothered by is when someone says "attacked by the left" but think one person on the left represents the entire population. Please don't begin stating your "opinion" with "In fact". It certainly is a subjective judgment that they are going after political opposition of the left.

People have political views. Very few people share the same political views on every issue. So I think your broad brush conclusions are possibly not valid.

I don't think any left wing television matters when it comes to politics in this country. The Republicans are in the majority in every level of government. I am just not seeing what is so important about the demonetization fear you are referring to. I am not smart enough to know what is "good" for the country.

This country is divided for many reasons. Many people believe gun rights should be more strongly regulated. Many people believe abortion should be illegal. Many people believe healthcare insurance should be done by a single provider. Or at the very least, change Medicare to be for 55 or over. Many people believe pot should be legal. Many people believe we need to double military spending. I choose to support a woman's right to choose. Maybe you choose to support nonrestrictive gun rights. I don't think there is a "right" point of view. Maybe you believe in absolute truth. Maybe you believe your own opinions are facts and my facts are opinions. We all have a way how we perceive the world. Some of us choose how we perceive the world.

My neighbor across the street was a staunch Republican. He would put signs on his lawn. He was very involved in local Republican politics. And then his daughter turned out to be a lesbian. And now that his daughter is a lesbian his politics on LGBT rights have done a complete 180 degrees!!!

Complaining about comedians as being fake news or propaganda just says to me the person making the complaint has never studied the science of propaganda:

People on the left believe the way they do exactly as outlined in the video cited. The military has a saying leave no man behind. The left just believes that's true in the private sector. People on the left are not leftists because of snarky comedians. Sometimes art is a reflection of reality not the other way around.

edit on 28-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Here is a great article by Christopher Hitchens on this subject, written nearly a decade ago. It appears he was right.

One might, I suppose, keep this piece of schmaltz handy for the next Judeo-Christian prayer breakfast, but meanwhile, it awakens an appetite to see more of the flashing scalpel and a good deal less of the rubber hammer and the exploding cigar. Almost everything that I have quoted was printed or broadcast at a time when the Democrats were in opposition in both chambers and many state houses, excluded from the White House, and in a minority on the Supreme Court. The rebel humor on offer was rather lame even then. Shall we now be witnesses to a further decline? (This year’s African American lesbian comedian at the White House Correspondents’ Dinner broke bravely with tradition and chose to roast the absent Rush Limbaugh rather than the incumbent chief executive, to roars of complicit and knowing applause.) A liberal joke, at present, is no laughing matter.

Cheap Laughs - "The smug satire of liberal humorists debases our comedy—and our national conversation."

edit on 28-9-2017 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Obviously people on the left and right have very different opinions on what constitutes a "laughing matter".

Is the goal of the right is to end ALL conversations consider to be political opposition? I still fail to see why or how comedians are destroying or hurting this country.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Obviously people on the left and right have very different opinions on what constitutes a "laughing matter".

Is the goal of the right is to end ALL conversations consider to be political opposition? I still fail to see why or how comedians are destroying or hurting this country.

Why would you ask that? To deflect from the arguments being made in favour of something you made up.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Sorry, I thought the joke was funny. And I don't believe "liberal humorists debases our comedy—and our national conversation" as your quote stated.

I was trying to respond to what you posted. Maybe I'm missing the point of what you are saying. What argument are YOU making instead of quoting someone else who is telling you what to think?

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Sorry, I thought the joke was funny. And I don't believe "liberal humorists debases our comedy—and our national conversation" as your quote stated.

I was trying to respond to what you posted. Maybe I'm missing the point of what you are saying. What argument are YOU making instead of quoting someone else who is telling you what to think?

I made my argument on the first page.

posted on Sep, 28 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Form the article you referenced, this is really funny:

Now, I have nothing but respect for the Jewish people. Since the Bible is 100% the true Word of God, and the Jews believe in the Old Testament, that means Judaism is 50% right.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join