It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi King Issues Decree Allowing Women to Drive

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: worldstarcountry

So them being the leader of the UN Civil rights council will only be slightly less ironic.

I was thinking that too heh.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Pray for he first female drivers, as they're going to face serious backlash.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I grew up in Saudi. I still remember my mother dressing in men's clothing and a hat pulled down low sneaking off the family compound to drive when my stepfather was away on business. I didn't fully realize at the time that she was risking her life, but I knew it would be very, very bad if she were ever caught. It's amazing that all these long years later they finally lifted the ban. I'll have to tell her about this. I'm sure there are ulterior motives for it, but this really is an awesome thing for those women...as well as for non Saudi women who are bound by the same laws if they live there.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Many of those women have been driving anyway.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Bullish on autobody repair shops in Saudi Arabia!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Hahahaaaa they just leave the cars on the side of the road if they quit working. And I'm not even kidding about that.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:06 PM
link   
How thoughtful of him. Will he allow them to remove their hoods too? Or will that take another two hundred years of Evolution.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:25 PM
link   

The insurance rates are going to be extremely high for women since it has to be rather difficult to have peripheral vision when wearing a burqa. May sound like a great thing for women, but Islamic women will still be enslaved and treated as second class citizens.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

originally posted by: Grambler

Hahahaaaa they just leave the cars on the side of the road if they quit working. And I'm not even kidding about that.

Ah bummer! Another get rich quick scheme ruined for me.

Oh well. I'll just get my wife back in the kitchen where she belongs to make me a sandwich.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler
WHAT! Giving up already? If they are just free pickings on the side of the road, you could always repair and re-sell to the non subsidized foreign labor! Come on man, what happened to that capitalist spirit!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: FredT

Its all about getting women into working roles. What this means now is that husbands can basically have their women work as slaves to bring more money into the household.

So basically they're catching up with the rest of the world? We're all slaves to the global economy of debt.

Yep, the decision is purely financial, anyone who cant see that is blind.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: Grambler
WHAT! Giving up already? If they are just free pickings on the side of the road, you could always repair and re-sell to the non subsidized foreign labor! Come on man, what happened to that capitalist spirit!

Eh, I figure why bust my hump when I can live off of the man?

Besides, we live in America!

I will just make my wife get a job and call her liberated.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

what next Asians?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42
well, they do have a large Chinese population due to imported foreign labor. If me and Grambler get this refurbished car business going, watch out! Those roads and highways will be the killing fields of bad driving!

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   

It's good news whatever the reasoning behind it. Wahhabism shows it can change with the times. Like yourself, I wondered if the UN Human Rights role played a part in it. It's a tiny concession to the modern world to allow woman to drive although they realise it's 2017 and not 1899, right? They're only a century late!

Saudi society is conservative by most people's standards and they have ultra-conservatives like we do. Their central ground is way off to the right of us and even then they have their fundamentalists. Those guys are the assholes who'd sooner impose very austere lives on everyone and they're angry at this teensy little sign of progress. I was reading them complaining yesterday that women driving is haram like it's literally the final word of Allah.

Reducing the power of the fundamentalists would offer more profound change. After all, women can soon drive but still face restricted lives when they get out of the car. They still exist in a patriarchal theocracy and can't travel far without a permit from a male relative. The fundamentalists keep the public beheadings going and plaza floggings of political dissidents going. They're the brakes to progress.

If I can squeeze a quick swipe in? Not at yourself! Whilst writing 'public floggings of dissidents,' I thought of our 'kneelers' and some of the responses out on social media. The fundamentalist mindset isn't so alien after all. Bwhahahahah!!! In your face crazy puritan throwbacks in your shiny buckled shoes!!!

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Good news. Did Trump do it? Where will it lead?

In the mean time!

edit on 9/27/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That's bound to piss some saud off. Which is different from sod off. sawed off. Or saw em off.
edit on 27-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 12:45 AM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

I don't thing the moptops are permitted there.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

It's ok. They were cool moptops.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

Clever lads.
Could craft a tune quite well.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join