It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google U.S. News Shunts Aside Humanitarian Crisis on U.S. Shores

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Indeed, Puerto Rico is quickly becoming a humanitarian crisis of epic proportions.

Slowly the US media is starting to latch onto this and broadcast it. All except for CNN of of course. They are still leading off the news each hour with Russian collusion and NFL players taking a knee.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

It's simple...their interests are not served by showcasing the enormous outpouring of humanity and service to others that has occurred in the aftermath of all these storms. They'll show the destruction, ramp up the fear...but when it's done, they move on to the next quick distraction that's guaranteed to evoke feelings of anger, rage and fear. They've got to keep that division going any possible way they can.

Currently, the distraction appears to be this contrived, melodramatic dumbassery involving overpaid football players...whilst taking yet another opportunity to blame everything (including the silly, emotional overreactions of ostensibly grown ass adults all over the country) on the guy they love to hate. It's all by design...although they really need to hire some better writers because their desperation is becoming apparent to even the most clueless of folks out there.

If the storms had not been hyped up so far in advance, perhaps more people would have died and suffered and aid would not have reached the survivors nearly as quickly or in such determined force. Maybe they'd have had a better story if they'd refrained from sensationalising and calling attention to the impending doom so far in advance. Political strife seems to be far more effective...just look how many people are paying attention right now compared to the number who care one whit about the situation in Puerto Rico, or the Virgin Islands.

The media is corrupt as hell, but what does it say about everyone else that so few people are asking wtf is going on here? The MSM reports on what gets the most attention. It would appear that we, the People don't really care too much as a collective about the plight of our fellow Americans, when the attention is so very easily removed from what should be important and placed instead on the absurd.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   
With all these recent weather-related disasters in so many different regions, we must be spread pretty thin right now. I know we have People on the ground in all those hard hit areas, including Mexico, Puerto Rico and the virgin Islands. Until I know differently, I will assume we are the doing the best we can.
edit on 9/26/2017 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Namdru

Here's what I see when I click on the "Puerto Rico" button on the right panel of Google News.
news.google.com...
edit on 9/26/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
A reporter on the ground in PR, reported an hour ago, ON CNN, that we have generators and gas to run them there on the ready, but getting them where they need to go is the problem. Some of the areas can only be reached by water or air, and we don't have boats and planes and copters ready to go. They are working on it. Hospitals being served first, but they can't get to them. It's a nightmare.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Dafuq? o.O Even my local station is covering Puerto Rico, albeit lightly. It's not like it's not getting any coverage.
The root of the lack of it being front & center is Americans. The news media does in fact know most mainlanders don't GAF about anything not attached to the continental US, and report accordingly. See the history of a lack of coverage in the lower 48 of hurricanes in Hawaii and wildfires in Alaska as stark examples of that. You might see mentions on weather websites, but seldom on national news sites. Puerto Rico & the USVI share the boat there.

Oh, and you're also assuming most in the US know PR is a territory. Er, most regard it as a foreign country. Probably has a lot to do with the no-f's-given attitudes.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Maybe if football players say they are kneeling for Puerto Rico?

What if the NFL and all it's players donated lots of money to the Puerto Rico aid? perhaps they could piggyback their message of oppression with the same message of caring about others. They certainly have the financial means to do it, and it seems they sure do love a cause.....

NFL owners: "Hey, hey, hey wait a second. We're a nonprofit, we don't have lots of money".

*Holds pants pockets out*

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Maybe if football players say they are kneeling for Puerto Rico?

What if the NFL and all it's players donated lots of money to the Puerto Rico aid? perhaps they could piggyback their message of oppression with the same message of caring about others. They certainly have the financial means to do it, and it seems they sure do love a cause.....

NFL owners: "Hey, hey, hey wait a second. We're a nonprofit, we don't have lots of money".

*Holds pants pockets out*

Please remind us what this has to do with the current humanitarian crisis.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   
PR also asking for food and water. I hope Trump will see to that Air Force One is loaded as much as it can be with water and MRE's when he goes Wednesday. No need to waste the fuel.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Ummm it's called satire.

the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

That wasn't satire. It was just off topic.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: rickymouse
If I lived in Puerto Rico, I would build a house out of cement and put an earthen roof on it with windows with real shutters that can be closed to withstand a Hurricane. I would not build all the expensive stuff out there. I do not think that our government should be insuring anything over a quarter of a million bucks.

Giving aid to help with humanitarian stuff should be done, I have no problem with that. They should build government buildings there to withstand hurricanes too, same with any Motels. We need to give help but we also have to make sure not to supply people who are defrauding others with cash too. A lot of people do not understand that cons get half of that money. That is unacceptable. We need to help the people the right way.

People have to purchase their own insurance on their properties, if you live in a place like that, you need to be able to support yourself. As for regular people there, it is way more difficult, some there do not make a lot of money and they do not have control over their destiny. Tourist trade is a big thing there. The government there should do more to prepare for these kind of things, they should assess some kind of tax for tourism that builds a safety network. It does not have to be a big tax, just something to help.

In most parts of the world, concrete cement is a luxury building material. The UK can't even afford double skinned brick walls for first time buyer homes. Countries like France are using concrete breeze blocks.

You can build a block walled house here and put rerod in it and fill the cores for cheaper than you can build a wood home. I am thinking of building a block garage. The materials for blocks are cheaper and more readily accessible. Maybe they would have to haul in some portland cement in puerto Rico, but the sand and rock can come from the ocean.

The walls on a twenty four by fifty concrete building complete with footings and a slab would be under fifteen grand here, labor and material. I don't know the cost of the twenty foot by six foot precast concrete slabs for the roof though. I did an estimate on the twenty four footers layed on a two level garage a while back and it was about ten grand for a twenty four by thirty foot one if I remember right. That included the sealing of the cracks. It did not include the steel beam or the posts though. For thirty five grand you could have a nice shell of a house but you would need to do something with the top, I would put down a 12/12 pitch rafter roof and anchor it to the concrete floor upstairs then put in a second floor too, that wouldn't be as strong, but the first floor would be safe.

I was a builder for many years, Concrete is cheap here, like I said, I do not know how expensive it would be on the island. I would bet their roads are all concrete there.

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Of course. When there is a tragedy to unite the people, all the BS divide and conquer nonsense like the current stupidity that people seem wrapped up in from the NFL, doesn't work.

Right. It's uneffing believable. Now they're denying travel to legislators who want to inspect the situation:

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
A reporter on the ground in PR, reported an hour ago, ON CNN, that we have generators and gas to run them there on the ready, but getting them where they need to go is the problem. Some of the areas can only be reached by water or air, and we don't have boats and planes and copters ready to go. They are working on it. Hospitals being served first, but they can't get to them. It's a nightmare.

This jives with what I was reading this morning. There's tons of supplies already there, but most of it is sitting on the docks in San Juan, and not much has made its way to other parts of the island.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join