It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Right to "Disrespect"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Freedom of speech seems to be severely abused as of late. "Why" is the important question. I guess it takes a few generations of not teaching the kids to respect the rights of others to happen.

When you point at someone, three fingers are pointing back at you. Use wisdom to govern what you say.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Part of the problem is that responsibility or repercussions are not factored into the equation and often there are none.

When a child does something that is deemed by general societal standards to be unacceptable, then people laugh and fawn all over the child telling it how cute it is, do you blame the child when they continue the behavior past the time that people decide it is not cute?

We are riding the waves stirred up by social media and public opinion. Individual thought, or critical thinking is unacceptable. In our society people are not really taking sides, because there are no real sides when the coin is being held in the hands of those in control.

It is not about the side. It is not even about the message. That is why there seems to be no consistency in what people say and do. What it is about is the control.

We are being controlled, and they are so amazing good at it that we continue to drink, even though we know the Kool-Aid is poisoned.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Party of one, but with my arms open wide!!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Careful, that's fascist talk. Asking folks to think about others when they speak, it's the way things are done these days.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

Careful, that's fascist talk. Asking folks to think about others when they speak, it's the way things are done these days.

Yeah, I know, there is no room for rationalism in our society today.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Kudos Hunter. Excellent post.

The problem we have today is that some people can't restrain themselves from grabbing sticks and stones when only words have been spoken.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Rationalism? Never heard of him.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: FauxMulder

I agree. This wasn't meant to sound like a free pass to be a douchebag. Like I said, you reap what you sow. This was more about the subjective nature of "disrespect" and people allowing their morals to dictate what constitutes free speech.

I like to take things on a case by case basis. Usually my approach is "Not my circus, not my monkey"

But to address the subjective nature of "disrespect" Perhaps ask the redneck that called my beautiful Hispanic wife a "spic slut" ... he eventually apologized for his use of free speech thru a mouthful of rearranged teeth. I'm sure his ideas on morals dictating what constitutes free speech would be interesting.

Don't let alcohol, racism and macho acting out get in the way of your common sense. Some people might just take "offence" at your disrespect....that's the subject eh?

edit on 26-9-2017 by olaru12 because: this one's for you Brenda...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You know, it's hard to argue against the basic premise of a case by case approach, because I used to be like that. But the lines can become pretty blurry, opening the road to many other things. I realized the only way to true freedom, is absolutely.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

You know, it's hard to argue against the basic premise of a case by case approach, because I used to be like that. But the lines can become pretty blurry, opening the road to many other things. I realized the only way to true freedom, is absolutely.

Do you think Trump really has freedom in mind when he wants to bully pro sports into following his ideas of what's patriotic?

edit on 26-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I'll be honest, not entirely. There is definitely some bullying going on, but I believe he is also a real patriot. At the end of the day, he's entitled to voice his opinion, just like everyone else!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This topic about "knees" was posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

<< 1   >>

join