It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYS Commission for Social Justice OSIA requesting protection for Columbus statues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

The New York State Commission for Social Justice, the anti-bigotry arm of the Order Sons of Italy in America, is calling for the NY city police Commissioner to step up patrol of Columbus statues around the city in preparation for Columbus day events next month.

They are also asking that all vandalisim of the statues be persecuted as a hate crime against Italian Americans and other European imigrents.

I do not doubt their sincerity in believing such actions are required and that vandalism against the statues is believed to be a hate crime perpetrated against their community.

At the same time I do not doubt the sincerity of those groups who feel the statues of Columbus are a symbol of hate against their community.

So the question is which group should be made to back down from their legitimate point of view?

edit on 25-9-2017 by DanDanDat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Good question.

Even the worst people on earth have some good parts about them. Find the good and honor it. Flush out the bad, and learn from it.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Unless the vandals are Natives from the Caribbean I don't think they have a legitimate gripe against Columbus being a symbol of hate against their race. Also, their acts constitute a crime. If they are really offended, they should protest, put pressure on the government, or run for office themselves. That is the American way.

PS, I have no particular love for Columbus and don't think he was the first to "discover" the new world.

PPS, Am I the only one who has spell check?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson

PPS, Am I the only one who has spell check?

If this is in reference to spelling mistakes in my posts. I do apologise. I am dyslexic and spelling is not my strong suit. Spell check helps, but is not a panacea for the disabled.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
As an American with a strong Italian background, as well as last name, I may be biased here...

Columbus did some crap stuff to a lot of people. It was totally, super un-cool. That is virtually unarguable. However, us Italian folk have a very strong sense of community and pride for our "brothers" past and present. Columbus included.

Whether I like him or not is not important. He's a big part of history and should be remembered. It's up to each individual to decide how they feel about him. But destroying his image is absolutely a no go IMHO.

What many do not realize is that my people too were hated, discriminated against and even lynched; sometimes en mass. If anything, us Italians have more in common with many minority groups than differences.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Pretty much what I mentioned elsewhere; In the past some areas have turned to not observing Columbus day, and or have changed it to Indigenous Peoples' Day. Either way that seems more fitting than some kind of rage against statues, if calls for places to remove them don't work. What it will do is divide, likely a intended.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: dreamingawake
Pretty much what I mentioned elsewhere; In the past some areas have turned to not observing Columbus day, and or have changed it to Indigenous Peoples' Day. Either way that seems more fitting than some kind of rage against statues, if calls for places to remove them don't work. What it will do is divide, likely a intended.

I don't think this group would approve of turning their day into Indigenous Peoples' Day; they would most likely see it as just another means of bigotry toward them.

This is not to say they wouldn't support an Indigenous Peoples' Day on another day, just not on their day.

top topics

join