It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea threatens to shootdown US Planes even if in International Airspace

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: Zaphod58

So, the N.K. air force isn't anything to be concerned about. Thanks for that insight, Zaphod58.

It would be good to know how many of those jets are in the air at any given time. Average perhaps, if we are indeed able to tell with some accuracy.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Seventh Fleet, who oversees both the Fitzgerald and McCain averages 42 more days a year at sea than other fleets. That results in ships pushing back maintenance and training.

The USS Essex returned to San Diego in 2012, and they wound up performing over 370,000 man days of maintenance to get her back to standards. They had planned on something like 175,000.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:48 AM
link   

I honestly, honestly dont.

He knows it would be the end of his families dynasty, and thats all he cares about.

I honestly believe NK is like a kid who just wants attention...good or bad.

But just my opinion

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Just imagine what would happen if the US moved away from the Norks doorstep.

The Norks would prolly claim victory but that would be it.

edit on 26-9-2017 by snewpers because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghostsinthefog

You're probably closer to the mark than you might imagine.

He knows that the U.S. will, unless there's some form of catastrophic attack of stupidity in DC, not attack him. So it's safe for him to talk his smack, lob a few missiles into the North Pacific...and things, while tense, won't escalate to the point of actual combat.

Here's hoping the little idiot is right...

Unfortunately, I have a sneaking suspicion that he's misreading Trump. Which could lead to unfortunate occurrences.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Agree.

I fear Trump will do somthing stupid not Kim

That said; im not politically affiliated before i get told im just a Trump hater. Just a bird watching the world go by

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   
What are we realistically going to do if NK shoots down a US aircraft? Does anyone really think we're going to bomb anything in NK when 10-15 million people in Seoul are in the range of conventional artillery? Let alone the people in Japan which are also inside the range of NK missiles? Regardless of if they have miniaturized their nuclear weapons, which we know they have, they could still just use conventional warheads to decimate Japan. The US would have to virtually take out all of the NK artillery and ballistic missile installations before they could get a shot off. Could the USAF/USN do that? Possibly, depending on how advanced our capabilities actually are, I highly doubt it though.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   
All this BS is pushed by the MSM,Kim is nothing but a puppet,can see his strings,not unlike a rodeo clown

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:22 AM
link   
All this BS is pushed by the MSM,Kim is nothing but a puppet,can see his strings,not unlike a rodeo clown

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: stupidusernamehere
What are we realistically going to do if NK shoots down a US aircraft? Does anyone really think we're going to bomb anything in NK when 10-15 million people in Seoul are in the range of conventional artillery?

Seoul is not in range of conventional artillery. Even if they deploy their guns on the northern edge of the DMZ they wont be able to hit more than border towns and villages. Enough to cause significant damage and loss of life, but Seoul can only be targeted by a few long range, high caliber guns and ballistic missiles. Which in turn will of course subject to South Koreran air and artillery strikes within minutes.

Let alone the people in Japan which are also inside the range of NK missiles? Regardless of if they have miniaturized their nuclear weapons, which we know they have, they could still just use conventional warheads to decimate Japan.

They can shoot missiles at Japan. It'll hurt but damage will be comparativley minor.
During WW2 London was hit by more than 1000 V2 ballistic missiles armed with 1ton warheads. Less than 3.000 people died. Of course casualties would be higher today due to the much more dense population centers in Japan but the JSDF can also do a lot against MRBMs aimed at Japan. Just anchoring an Aegis BMD asset in Tokyo Bay will go a long way.
Wont be pretty, but it wont be decimating either.

The US would have to virtually take out all of the NK artillery and ballistic missile installations before they could get a shot off.

No they wont have to and they wont even try. You cant fight a war in Korea with zero casualties, people will die.
Actually it would probably be the South Koreans job to deal with the artilley threat themselves. And their are more than able to do so, they have a very capable artillery force of their own. The US will try to hunt mobile ballistic missile launchers further in country, but unless they can get many assets predeployed before hostilities break out, it wont be easy.
edit on 26-9-2017 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: FredT

i honestly don't see how low order tactical nuclear weapons would not be used, the only argument in my mind would be the hilly terrain would diminish the blastwaves.

The president has said if we are forced to defend our self's, and i think if they shoot one of aircraft out of the sky it's on in a big way. NoKor would be wiped off the map.

and baring some new type of weapons tech there is only one thing i can think that would take out all the artillery crews low yield or neutron bombs to kill the crews with conventional strikes on military bases and command and control points

i don't think we could put enough munitions in the air in a short amount of time to hit ALL the close artillery that would destroy Seoul.

The only issue would be China not being happy about the use of nuclear weapons but there has to be some point of no return and what is china really going to do about it, start WW3 over NoKor i doubt it. they have to say they condemn use of any nuclear weapons, and im sure that includes more exotic weapons as well.

edit on 26-9-2017 by penroc3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:05 AM
link   
North Korea cant destroy Seoul. This is just an ridiculus talking point everyone takes as gospel. It wont happen. Just look at a map people.
There are at least 20 miles from the mountain ridges north oft he Han River to the northern city limits of Seoul. This ist he shortest distance and it puts something like 95% of the North artillery and rocket arsenal out of range.
They’ll hit the border towns like crazy but only their long range guns will be able to attack Seoul. And those will be quickly taken out.
Not by US Forces but by the South Koreans themselves. They are more than capable of dealing with this threat, they have an insanley large Artillery Corps and a first rate Air Force.

This is a good paper on the subject:
nautilus.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Thank you for posting that.

Edit: Another factor that's not talked about much is that yes NK has a huge Army, but the majority of the grunts are poorly treated. They are malnourished and ill-equipped. The idea that they would be an effective fighting force for any length of time is in serious doubt.
edit on 26 9 17 by face23785 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
All i can say is let the sidewinders fly.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

The same Sidewinder that just missed a fairly easy shot with the latest and greatest version?

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
It likely was just malfunctioning on its own. Could have been worse, looks like the SU didnt deploy flares.

edit on 26-9-2017 by mightmight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: mightmight

Even if it was a malfunction, that's not a good combat debut. Especially with the problems they ran into with the AIM-120D engines.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghostsinthefog
So you let an idiot fear the world ? Tomorrow it will be what ? Explode a nuclear bomb over the Japan ? Shooting missile in every direction , at a time we must stop the criminal remember ww2. What you think about Mr Trump ( Its the United States President so by respect Mr Before the name) He have nothing to see with the Big Baby NK Madness , I don't see Mr Trump persecute the US Citizen. And at a time you must show the big military toys to defend freedom, the fear is not a correct response with this kind of mad man.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I think the equation will come down to counting casualties in a preemptive strike, versus a false-flag scenario or waiting for NK to build a large arsenal of bombs and delivery systems.

Score NK lives as .5, SK as 1, Japanese as 2 and Americans as 3....add it up.

I think preemptive first strike is the way to go. I'd be happy to submit an updated war plan of my own.

Reading up the history of the Korean War, China OWNS NK. It only exists in it's current form in defiance of the UN, by a large Chinese military intervention.

So....if any people are hurt, it's 100% on China. I think coastal China will get hammered if they take any offensive action or even support NK with anything other than humanitarian assistance.

Also, it seems off-topic, but so far very little has been said about Chinese hacking. I'll leave it at that, but it's a rabbit Trump can pull out of his hat as far as public opinion goes.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Seventh Fleet, who oversees both the Fitzgerald and McCain averages 42 more days a year at sea than other fleets. That results in ships pushing back maintenance and training.

The USS Essex returned to San Diego in 2012, and they wound up performing over 370,000 man days of maintenance to get her back to standards. They had planned on something like 175,000.

Might account for the increased number of collisions of U.S. Navy ships this year.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join