It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump NFL Anthem Free Speech Protest and Willful Ignorance

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: notsure1

Kapernik originally started his protest by sitting he realized that it upset a lot of people so he stated that from now on he would kneel out of respect but would continue not singing until the anthem represented everyone equally.

So?? He is still protesting our flag/anthem/country.. There is alot of ways to protest Kali you dont have to disrespect our flag anthem.

Its very dear to our hearts.

How, exactly, is he disrespecting it? Did he whip the bird? Burn a flag? Unleash George Carlin's "7 Dirty Words" to the tune of the anthem? I hate to break it to you, but if you've ever bought any disposable tableware, napkins, or attire with the flag on it, etc, YOU are actually more disrespectful to the flag than Kapernick is. The list of rules making clear how to respectfully display the flag say as much.

And when did we pop into the Bizarro Universe where kneeling silently in respectful protest is disrespectful?

I remember taking my old Trooper into an independent mechanic and saw the whole "God Bless America" cross-stitch behind the counter only to later see a calendar in his office through the open door with some woman's butt, wearing an American flag thong.

I was like... so flossing your butt with the flag is respectful? I wish that had happened more recently so I could have asked him his opinion on this whole NFL thing.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Blind obedience to a flag is far more dangerous than misplaced dissent. In this case I'm not even sure it is misplaced. It took courage for Kaepernick to do what he did regardless of being right or wrong.

Look at the target that's been placed on the backs of peacefully protesting Constitutionally protected Americans.

I NEVER thought I would see the day where ATS considers Constituional rights as a negative thing.

It's amazing what partisan-affiliation can lead to. I guarantee, if this were football players protesting something that flys with their particular political flavor they wouldn't have any issue.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: notsure1

a reply to: notsure1

Kapernik originally started his protest by sitting he realized that it upset a lot of people so he stated that from now on he would kneel out of respect but would continue not singing until the anthem represented everyone equally.

So?? He is still protesting our flag/anthem/country.. There is alot of ways to protest Kali you dont have to disrespect our flag anthem.

Its very dear to our hearts.

How, exactly, is he disrespecting it? Did he whip the bird? Burn a flag? Unleash George Carlin's "7 Dirty Words" to the tune of the anthem? I hate to break it to you, but if you've ever bought any disposable tableware, napkins, or attire with the flag on it, etc, YOU are actually more disrespectful to the flag than Kapernick is. The list of rules making clear how to respectfully display the flag say as much.

And when did we pop into the Bizarro Universe where kneeling silently in respectful protest is disrespectful?

I remember taking my old Trooper into an independent mechanic and saw the whole "God Bless America" cross-stitch behind the counter only to later see a calendar in his office through the open door with some woman's butt, wearing an American flag thong.

I was like... so flossing your butt with the flag is respectful? I wish that had happened more recently so I could have asked him his opinion on this whole NFL thing.

Friend of mine works for Buffalo Wild Wings (he runs the joint) and he made a post about how he did not witness a single person stand up for the National Anthem.

Selective outrage is amusing. I don't see ANYONE talking about "disrespectful and disgraceful," those folks are.... but when it comes to exercising Constituional rights in America...

.... that # don't fly.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Kali74

No universal set of rules for you huh?

I think anyone is allowed to speak their mind, including the president. The only one bringing up the legality of what he said was you, if I'm not mistaken.

Trump suggested consequences for Free Speech...

Do you agree with that?

I disagree with his opinions on the consequences, though I agree with the opinion regarding their disrespect and disregard for their country.

Always entertaining when foreigners say Americans exercising their Consitutional rights is a bad thing in America.... because that Constituion thing we have is bad, BAD news, folks.

Remember the oath that's taken? Yeah, me too. I also don't recall anything about songs, or pieces of cloth in it....

I do remember "both domestic and abroad," and we have fronts on both sides insisting that exercising Constituional rights should be be allowed (because it's offensive, lol).

I explicitly said "I agree with the opinion regarding their disrespect and disregard for their country". I never said, nor implied, " Americans exercising their Consitutional [sic] rights is a bad thing in America". But it's always entertaining when people abuse their own misapprehension in order put forward countless other misapprehensions.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   

You should ask yourselves if you believed such, what would you do? Could you respect something that you felt not only didn't respect you but belligerently and actively disrespected you?

Well, for one, I wouldn't use my place of employment as a means to politically protest--that's disrespectful to the business owner(s) and the customers (fans).

I would, however, use the power of my celebrity to voice my opinion, concerns, and call for action. I would also ensure that my actions were appropriate to the problem at hand--the flag and the national anthem have nothing to do with any of our modern problems, so to use them as props in order to gain attention is relatively disrespectful.

Also, if I recall correctly, Trump's tweet basically was a rhetorical comment about it being nice if these owners would step up and do something, like tell remove the players from the field and fire them--it was his personality and the way that he does business coming out, but he wasn't telling the NFL that this is what they have to do.

Regardless, it sure would be nice if the NFL quick taking government money in return for pretending to be patriotic, wouldn't it?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Blind obedience to a flag is far more dangerous than misplaced dissent. In this case I'm not even sure it is misplaced. It took courage for Kaepernick to do what he did regardless of being right or wrong.

Look at the target that's been placed on the backs of peacefully protesting Constitutionally protected Americans.

I NEVER thought I would see the day where ATS considers Constituional rights as a negative thing.

It's amazing what partisan-affiliation can lead to. I guarantee, if this were football players protesting something that flys with their particular political flavor they wouldn't have any issue.

Oh please. No need for hypotheticals. When football players wanted to honor the 5 cops ambushed and murdered by a BLM member, the NFL wouldn't allow them to do so. And who could forget all the media hand wringing over that christian player kneeling and praying during games?

And here is another one for you. Fox Sports attacking the guy who DID stand for the national anthem, because it's only ok to protest when it's a left wing protest.

dailycaller.com...

“I think he was wrong in this situation, Skip,” said Sharpe, who is also a former NFL player. “I believe he put his personal feelings in front of that of the team, and this is a team.”

“If the team took a vote and said, ‘this is what we’re going to do,’ although I understand that he served in the military … this is a team,” Sharpe continued. “We criticize so many athletes when they put their goals, their ideas in front of the team — well that’s what he did. He said, ‘forget what you guys said, this is what I’m going to do.'”

They literally argue that he should only do a protest that the "team" okays.
edit on 25-9-2017 by HeadCrunchMcRockGroin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Selective outrage is amusing..

You mean like ANTIFA violently assaulting and shutting down free speech while clothed in black masks and the media actually defends them?

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Posted here....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
and here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussions in the above linked threads.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join