It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rare Events Happened During Earthquakes in Mexico.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

They weren't wires bumping.

Mysterious lights in the sky seen after Mexico’s huge earthquake

“These phenomena are well-documented because of so many security cameras running day and night now,” says Friedemann Freund at NASA’s Ames Research Center.

Glowing globes, and other phenomena

Earthquake lights are electric discharges that come out of the ground and can rise up to 200 metres in the air, says Freund. Lights are sometimes observed in the days and hours leading up to an earthquake, and at other times during or after it. But how they work is still mysterious.

www.newscientist.com...

edit on 24-9-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add excerpt.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

They weren't wires bumping.

Not all of them. Some were transformers exploding because the wires were bumping.

edit on 9/24/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Electrical arcing! There is no question about that.

All characteristics are there:
- Small size of source (point source).
- Extremely high intensity. Typical of a high current arc, not a glow discharge.
- Cloud illuminated by the ground source that is often not in line of sight.
- Color is blue/green for copper and bright white for carbon arc from organic matter.
- Duration is never too long as either arcing material is fully consumed or the protection (recloser) act to stop the arc, to make it appear again two or three times depending on the recloser programming.

You never tried to make the Bat-Signal apparatus seen in Batman? Been there, done that, using a big trailer size engine driven generator to feed an arc between graphite rod inside a big light reflector/collimator like those for highway lighting. Believe me, we were lighting the clouds just like that.

ETA: Light from piezoelectric phenomenon will produce glow discharge, very different from a true arc and incapable to generate a point source radiating in the range of tens to hundreds of KWs.

edit on 24-9-2017 by Cofactor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I'm going with transformers. Mexico uses 120V/60Hz standard which tends to perform spectacular shows at moments you do not need it at all.

posted on Sep, 24 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   
There is a lot of energy released by a quake, that energy can show up as light and sound. The same happens around volcanoes. I wonder if anyone there knew the quake was coming from those lights?

I am sure that energy could be picked up by high power lines too and cause a similar effect as they have with solar activity.
edit on 24-9-2017 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: recrisp
I'd say that the lights are electrical transformers. I have seen the same in severe storms. Just my opinion.

I'm sure most of them were transformers blowing. You'd be surprised how bright and far away you can see them. Some of the most intense lights I've ever seen.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That's not what is seen in the video in the op, not to mention that i even excerpted what Friedemann Freund from NASA’s Ames Research Center had to say they were.

Did i say no transformers blew up?... No, I said the lights seen in the video were caused by the friction between the tectonic plates.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I am sure that energy could be picked up by high power lines too and cause a similar effect as they have with solar activity.

IMO mechanical energy. One thing about power lines is they are often under tremendous tension between each others by use of steel cables. I have seen snaped post at bottom with the top and heavy transformer still in the air due to tensioning of the steel cables. Slight deformation of landscape from earthquake possibly damage isolator then starting electrical arcs. Also have doubts about the technical condition of infrastructures and equipment in Mexico and such "light shows" at the slightiest disturbance is no surprise to me.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Did i say no transformers blew up?

FYI transformer blowing up does not produce a bright flash of light as the arc is contained inside the oil canister but you hear a big bang when safety pressure release of the canister open.
edit on 25-9-2017 by Cofactor because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Just compare the city lights at the beginning of the video, and with each flash of lights, more areas of the city get darker.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   
It was confirmed by the power company that HAS to repair that stuff.... and those lines carry 7500 volts!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

This same phenomena occurred last year in the 7.8 Kaikoura earthquake here in NZ. This video was filmed in Wellington looking towards the hill line and then out to sea.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
Just compare the city lights at the beginning of the video, and with each flash of lights, more areas of the city get darker.

Not really. That's not what happened. I even gave two other videos showing this same phenomenon during the 8.1 earthquake in Mexico from a different perspective, and nowhere do we see lights in the streets turning off as the flashes of light occurred. BTW, there would be some areas where the lights went off and came back, but it's not related to the flashes of light. An expert on this phenomena from NASA already stated what it was.

edit on 26-9-2017 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   
And the strange thing is that "scientists" are still looking for ways to predict big EQ when they just need to look at the sky ?!?!

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyonedies
And the strange thing is that "scientists" are still looking for ways to predict big EQ when they just need to look at the sky ?!?!

What would that give them, 30 seconds at best, what could they possibly do in that time?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Leeyum

This same phenomena occurred last year in the 7.8 Kaikoura earthquake here in NZ. This video was filmed in Wellington looking towards the hill line and then out to sea.

No thunderstorms ? , is wellington in the direction of the lights in that vid ?

posted on Sep, 29 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

What would that give them, 30 seconds at best, what could they possibly do in that time?

It's 30 more seconds to a minute or more time for people to get out of a building.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join