It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Plague of Politically (in)Correctness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   
In my opinion, one of the worst plagues to ever hit society is the plague of "PiC" (Politically inCorrectness). Even worst, it was presented to us in a perfectly harmless package under the guise of some moral righteousness. Worn on the sleeves of our leaders like badges of honor, they smile into the camera and charismatically spew their rhetoric while trying to reassure us everything is a-okay. We don't want to accidentally offend somebody now do we?

But is saying what you truly mean, free from any form of filter even commiting a sin or deemed unjustifiable? Of course not, but like all plagues, it has been allowed to fester and spread to epidemic proportions, where it is now considered the new standard and anyone that dares live outside the boundaries must be a lost soul without a moral compass -- and thus deemed unworthy. Well at least according to the "always-righteous". Politically correct is just the politically correct way to say censorship, is it not? Be careful your tone isn't too harsh you send a major shockwave that rocks their innocent little world.

Let us never forget when we critisize someone for their character - or lack thereof - that we oursleves are free of sin, or better yet, the perfect role model, veneer smiling, carbon copy, cookie cutter faces we see on TV and look to as the golden standard, don't rip their badges off and step all over it behind closed doors. Because surely they don't... right?

"What you see is what you get" vs "What you see is what we want you to see"

I know who I'm rooting for.

being honest doesn't always mean you're being an asshole

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
In my opinion.

edit on 21-9-2017 by Black_Fox because: Add

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

American society at least, has a nasty habit of knee-jerk responses to perceived threats and limits; suffer a terror attack? Destroy all of the Middle East ASAP.

PiC is the typical response to PC gone wild. When everyone is talking about safe-spaces and coddling the masses, of course you'll have a major push back against that behavior forcing the horror of reality down sensitive throats.
In our attempt to combat an out-of-control self-censorship agenda we've lost a sense of decorum and compassion. I'm of the belief that compassion is not our natural state in any event.
I've been through just one or two hurricanes in south Florida that knocked out power for roughly 5 days. In my experiences, respect and politeness vanish in about 40 to 72 hours and the need for survival kicks in. People begin to become rude and pushy; selfish.

You can appeal to a higher state of being and lobby for compassion and kindness and as long as we're well-satiated and out perceived needs are met that can be an attainable goal. Otherwise, it's a dream because how we act is a personal choice, not something that can be enforced upon us for long.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Extreme Political Correctness and extreme Political Incorrectness are both as bit a plague as the other.

Honestly, extreme anything rarely bodes well for a society or an individual.

That said, honesty is generally always the best policy, and with that should come directness and NOT the need to tiptoe around someone's feelings to say what you mean.

Those easily offended by words often harbor the bulk of the culpability versus the person saying the words.

+13 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

edit on 21/9/2017 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I don't believe there is such a thing as politically incorrectness. I put the (in) as a jab to PC itself.

Imo, PC is the antithesis to freedom of speech and freedom of thought.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

I absolutely agree with you, but there is an extreme, where people go out of their way to be provocative on purpose under the guise of free speech, which is what I'm referencing when I say "incorrectness."

I guess instead of "political incorrectness," we'll just call that "being a jackass."

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I remember perfectly the day I was called a "people like you" ...the sea was an azure blue, mirroring the cloudless sky. She was a blonde haired beauty that stepped into my life unannounced like a hippie Nambian. "Are you in the mood for amusement" she said. Maybe, what did you have in mind. I said.

"It's people like you" that need some discipline, eh?

Maybe, what did you have in mind, i said......again.
edit on 21-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Oh I agree, freedom of speech doesn't mean free of consequences. You are free to be a jackass, and they are free to call you out on it.

But I'd rather that, than a fake smile to my face.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

People read my face like an open book...I couldn't be politically correct if I were wearing a mask.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I think political correctness was invented to fit the phrase 'the road to hell is paved with good intentions'.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

I don't disagree with that at all. If that's the way you want to approach it, all the power to you.

It's when somebody that chooses to take the other route and people can't understand why.

Humans are complex beings and all.. everyone is different you know?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

We could also replace "political correctness" with "gentle words that hide their true meaning" and it would be much more accurate.

I know what you're thinking: "Oh my god, that's not gentle words that hide their true meaning gone mad!"

And that's okay.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

If I am out in public, I am the nicest guy you want to meet. However, if you are a "political activist" and something about me triggers YOU to where you feel you have the right to get in my face? I will MILO your ass in the hopes you throw a punch! I have no time for people who allow words to harm their precious ego's.....

Just a quick example of what I am talking about.

edit on 21-9-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Didn't the whole SJW movement spawn from PC? That alone should tell you what PC is all about.

Cringe.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Your thread is confusing because of your own blindness that there couldn't possibly be a "asshole behavior = incorrect" equation. I was totally confused because there is a plague of intentional rudeness disguised as righteousness. It took me a couple of reads to realize that's not what you meant.

It's become so epidemic that I see people stopping mid-sentence to mentally search for a word, only to use the most offensive one they can think of. It's like you are all fooled into thinking that, unless you are harmful with your words, you aren't performing as a "patriotic" American. It's disguised as free speech, it's disguised as moral compulsion, and it's disguised as righteous.

There are extremes on both sides but the offending position is a position that demands rudeness and laziness to perpetuate. In either case, it accomplishes one thing for sure, it appeases the inner four-year-old in angry Americans everywhere, directing their childish belly-aching towards where it doesn't belong; towards other Americans.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
a reply to: seeker1963

Didn't the whole SJW movement spawn from PC? That alone should tell you what PC is all about.

Cringe.

It actually started when it became child abuse to discipline your children for bad behavior with a spanking. Then it grew from there when EVERY CHILD deserves a trophy. FAST FORWARD to today, watching the insanity on our college campuses?

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986

I don't disagree with that at all. If that's the way you want to approach it, all the power to you.

It's when somebody that chooses to take the other route and people can't understand why.

Humans are complex beings and all.. everyone is different you know?

some people like to be jerks and upset other people for #s and giggles, obviously. that doesn't mean i have to approve of it.

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

We could also replace "political correctness" with "gentle words that hide their true meaning" and it would be much more accurate.

I know what you're thinking: "Oh my god, that's not gentle words that hide their true meaning gone mad!"

And that's okay.

i think that probably depends on what you think a 'true meaning' is.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join