It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Significance of "Triggered".

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

originally posted by: Dudemo5

originally posted by: DBCowboy

No, but people who use the word in political conversations are super lame.

My left leg was permanently crippled in an accident.

please don't use the word "lame".

it triggers me.

Please don't use any words henceforth. Thank you.

uh, no.

But by all means, please call for silencing others with whom you disagree.

Thanks! I look forward to your non-typing.

It's so much fun to see people who embrace censorship!

Please continue!

(this is so much fun!)

I didn't ask you to censor yourself. I suggested it would be really cool if you stopped typing. You could perhaps better communicate your ideas with interpretive dance, or by painting something. Maybe mime is in your future.

As far as censorship goes, I never suggested anyone should make a rule. I just thought you might want to be the bigger man and, you know, stop rattling off all that nonsense.

Please lead by example then.

Nah. I'm a petty little man. I'm not even human. I'm one of the aliens they're always rattling on about over in the UFO forum. I'm here to probe some people.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: knowledgehunter0986
I'm starting to sense some souls being bruised...

That comes from bad shoes.

But back on topic, I refuse to let small people silence anyone.

I'm for free expression.

Even if it uses words that bruise souls.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteWingedMonolith

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
I agree intrepid. It is a serious problem for those who suffer and not those of us who are just thin skinned.

How does anyone really know who is just 'thin skinned' or who isn't? With varing degrees and one situation is different from the other.

This from the OP:

"But for others, including individuals with ASD, stress and anxiety can cripple them to varying degrees. Remember, situations that create anxiety in one individual may not for another."

Does one running out and getting a diagnosis constitute a pass for vile behavior now or is Jesus Christ manifesting and gently showing us we are all sick? Or are all our Nation's homeless projecting their PTSD into the conciousness of the coddled life style of the middle class' s innocent young kids because it seems to be more prevalent at that socioeconomic level?

A HUGE trauma is homelessness. Being homeless. They have PTSD because of it in varrying degrees. There are thousands upon thousands of homeless in the U.S.A..

Gang warfare and one on one warfare in the U.S.A. creates PTSD just like military warfare can. Refugees coming here have PTSD. immigrants and illegals carry their PTSD here. Everyone is triggered here; hence the over use because it's pretty accurate.

To me, the way I took the OP was that the term is used flippantly. Blithely tossing it out as a slander, as a derogatory put down for every little state of discomfort. It is being used so much that the whole study of ''triggering'' becomes a joke rather than being part of our growing insight into the workings of human consciousness.

And certainly, being thin skinned is a generously broad categorization but still one i much prefer to use in comparison to ''triggering'' which to me means to have had impulses sparked which are beyond ones ability to get a handle on.

And I agree with you in the larger sense that EVERYONE is triggered, and to my mind, always have been.
And again for me, this comes down to the concept of ''reaction/response''. For every event in our lives we can either react, or respond. Reaction comes with no thought between the trigger and a counter action. Response meets an outside event, and takes a moment to reflect and decide HOW to respond. One is involuntary while the other voluntary. Triggering is reaction, response is realizing that one has just encountered a situation in which they are thin skinned about something and how to go about strengthening ones self in light of it.

That's what I'm thinking. For now anyway.

link   
a reply to: Dudemo5

I'm one of the aliens they're always rattling on about

You sure about that??

I could have sworn I seen you under a bridge once?

link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Don't be this guy..

His soul is bruised..

link   

But you don't have to. It's your choice. That's the point. It's not self censoring. It's about empathy.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll
a reply to: Grambler

Gotcha. The difference is, "Butthurt" was always colloquial. It was never a clinical term to address real issues.

Please take a minute and read my above post. You might actually find it interesting. It comes from my "textbook learnin'"
lol.

Oh I read it and understand.

Like I said in my first post, I stopped using the word retarded after a person with a learning disability wrote a letter I read showing how that term hampered him his whole academic career.

it turns out he was a very bright person and became a collegiate debater after shrugging off that stereotype.

So I understand the power that misusing words can have, particularly with mental health.

I don't think triggered meets that threshold for me, but people can make up there own mind.

Butthurt, although colloquial, could definitely upset some people taking it as a rape reference.

If someone would ask me politely not to say it in front of them, I probably would (unless it was for a show or something).

But mostly I just don't care about offending people.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteWingedMonolith

I agree intrepid. It is a serious problem for those who suffer and not those of us who are just thin skinned.

How does anyone really know who is just 'thin skinned' or who isn't? With varing degrees and one situation is different from the other.

This from the OP:

"But for others, including individuals with ASD, stress and anxiety can cripple them to varying degrees. Remember, situations that create anxiety in one individual may not for another."

Does one running out and getting a diagnosis constitute a pass for vile behavior now or is Jesus Christ manifesting and gently showing us we are all sick? Or are all our Nation's homeless projecting their PTSD into the conciousness of the coddled life style of the middle class' s innocent young kids because it seems to be more prevalent at that socioeconomic level?

A HUGE trauma is homelessness. Being homeless. They have PTSD because of it in varrying degrees. There are thousands upon thousands of homeless in the U.S.A..

Gang warfare and one on one warfare in the U.S.A. creates PTSD just like military warfare can. Refugees coming here have PTSD. immigrants and illegals carry their PTSD here. Everyone is triggered here; hence the over use because it's pretty accurate.

To me, the way I took the OP was that the term is used flippantly. Blithely tossing it out as a slander, as a derogatory put down for every little state of discomfort. It is being used so much that the whole study of ''triggering'' becomes a joke rather than being part of our growing insight into the workings of human consciousness.

And certainly, being thin skinned is a generously broad categorization but still one i much prefer to use in comparison to ''triggering'' which to me means to have had impulses sparked which are beyond ones ability to get a handle on.

And I agree with you in the larger sense that EVERYONE is triggered, and to my mind, always have been.
And again for me, this comes down to the concept of ''reaction/response''. For every event in our lives we can either react, or respond. Reaction comes with no thought between the trigger and a counter action. Response meets an outside event, and takes a moment to reflect and decide HOW to respond. One is involuntary while the other voluntary. Triggering is reaction, response is realizing that one has just encountered a situation in which they are thin skinned about something and how to go about strengthening ones self in light of it.

That's what I'm thinking. For now anyway.

Very good. Good thoughts.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

But you don't have to. It's your choice. That's the point. It's not self censoring. It's about empathy.

No.

Empathy?

So if I use the word 'triggered" or any other god-damned word that pisses off assholes, or anyone else, then I don't have empathy?

That's quite a reach.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Now since typing triggers people if we use the word "typing" it'll trigger people.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Like I said in my first post, I stopped using the word retarded after a person with a learning disability wrote a letter I read showing how that term hampered him his whole academic career.

Funny how a personal experience with something like that can change you, isn't it? It's because of "understanding". You know as well as I, "knowing" and "understanding" can be two different things entirely.

No, I don't think the word "triggered" rises to that level either. It's more of a description of a symptom, rather than a diagnoses.
But nevertheless it's roots are in psychiatry and clinical psychology.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

No.

Empathy?

So if I use the word 'triggered" or any other god-damned word that pisses off assholes, or anyone else, then I don't have empathy?

Well, yeah. This is about the use of the word and not the word itself. If you, like others here, don' care if you offend someone, how can you claim empathy? THIS is what this is about. The individual and their choices.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

I'm one of the aliens they're always rattling on about

You sure about that??

I could have sworn I seen you under a bridge once?

UFOs do crash sometimes.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Why don't we go back to versions of the standard "pissed off"?

"Did that piss you off? Sorry."

"People get pissy about the least little things."

Etc.

That way the only ones offended would be the Temperance League Against Water Athletics™.

I believe that calls for basic empathy are very valid.

The most irritating thing I see is that some folks love to use the term, love to do the "oh, were you offended" schtick ... and then, next post they are whining and crying about some word or term or act someone used that they don't like.

Hypocrisy is the problem.

S&F On the OP Intrepid!

edit on 19-9-2017 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Trep, it was a good and informative topic for a thread. It's so wonderful to see you posting and making threads again! Yippee!

(AD out.)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Why don't we go back to versions of the standard "pissed off"?

"Did that piss you off? Sorry."

"People get pissy about the least little things."

Etc.

That way the only ones offended would be the Temperance League Against Water Athletics™.

The only irritating thing I see is that some folks love to use the term, love to do the "oh, were you offended" schtick ... and then, next post they are whining and crying about some word or term or act someone used that they don't like.

Pissed off or angry or upset all seem far more reasonable.

I personally think it would be even better if people didn't address the other poster's "mood" at all and just addressed his argument. But since that won't happen, I've got my probe handy.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Just because I'm not always empathetic, does that mean that I am never empathetic?

Or is it a subtle demand that we always be empathetic?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Well, I started to go off on why we would be addressing the assumed "other's" mood at all.

We don't know it, it's not relevant to most arguments, etc. etc.

Then I realized I use that myself as a rhetorical device as needed.

Which would have kept me from honestly noting "hypocrisy."

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

The only irritating thing I see is that some folks love to use the term, love to do the "oh, were you offended" schtick ... and then, next post they are whining and crying about some word or term or act someone used that they don't like.

Yes to this!!!

No secret I lean right wing. I am tired of people on the left being offended by everything.

And then what do what do I see? People on the right going insane over Kathy Griffin or a Shakespeare play, or other jokes or art.

Quite often the people that frequently use the words triggered or snowflake most often ON ALL SIDES are more likely to then themselves display the behavior they are making fun of. Not all of the time, but many times.

So I just try to avoid them, but hold no ill will to anyone who uses them.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Empathy, to me, is either there or it isn't.

It's a spectrum. Believe me. You can be easily paralyzed by empathy ... but its absence is a main indicator of psychosis.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join