It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

maxim 50 the first internally suppressed muzzle loader

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
www.store.silencerco.com...

For the first time since the National Firearms Act (NFA) was created in 1934, civilians can enjoy suppressed shooting in all 50 states with SilencerCo's latest innovation: the integrally suppressed Maxim 50 muzzleloader. In addition, this product can be purchased right now on the web with no regulation (no 4473, no $200 tax stamp, no photographs, and no fingerprints) and be shipped immediately to the customer with few exceptions. In addition to producing hearing safe sound results, the Maxim 50 also offers shooters greatly reduced recoil and a 2/3 reduction of smoke emissions when compared to non-moderated muzzleloaders. No matter where you are in the country, you can now enjoy shooting suppressed.
so figured this may be of interest to some preppers out there or fire arms enthusiasts that like owning something odd or unique ,now i would assume it would require much more intensive maintenance then your standard suppressor and at just under a grand it may be out of budget for people trying to get into the smoke pole world but still found it interesting and wondered why something like this has not been made yet?

it also would be a good option for those who can not own traditional fire arms as a way of putting meat on the table for their families and could be a nifty device for fellow preppers, and as cartridge ammo will eventually run out in an end of the world situation having the ability to quietly harvest game could become invaluable.

www.youtube.com... you tube video review

and another link www.thetruthaboutguns.com... and as its a muzzleloader it would seem on paper to be able to by-pass most current forms of gun control as it is basically a modern musket
edit on 19-9-2017 by RalagaNarHallas because: to fix improper video posting code

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: RalagaNarHallas

Very interesting. I watched the video at the bottom, it is a breach loader/black powder weapon no?

ETA semantics aside, what a great idea. Legal silencing in all 50...now Im not sure that makes it legal to hunt all 50 states IE MA. Ohio etc...have shotgun only, no rifles due to travel...anyone know? I have to assume I could still only use this on the range here
edit on 19-9-2017 by BlueJacket because: eta

ETA aaaah its a shotgun primer, break but still considered muzzleloader:its a #209 shotgun primer, not a cartridge.
edit on 19-9-2017 by BlueJacket because: ETA

edit on 19-9-2017 by BlueJacket because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Thats actually a wonderful solution to big game hunting. Being quieter disturbs less of the forest too, keeping animals from fleeing farther after the first shot. It has a thumbs up from me

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

yeah, Im going to look into this further, be interesting to see what the forward weight feels like on the barrel, for instance will it be comfortable to hold a few without a bi-pod or a rest of some kind?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

yes,it loads through the muzzle here is a link to the 7 page PDF FAQ for the rifle s3.amazonaws.com...

WHY DON’T I NEED A TA X STAMP? The BATFE defines a silencer as a “device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm...” By that definition, a silencer is only a silencer if it can attach to a firearm. The Maxim 50 is built on the base of a Traditions ™ Vortek Strikerfire Muzzleloader. Muzzleloaders are not considered firearms by the BATFE, but are instead antique firearms, a definition and difference that is very distinct. Because of this, a moderator that is permanently affixed to a muzzleloader is not legally defined as a silencer, since it does not attach to a firearm.
pay attention to the ammo selection as it is apparently key to functioning correctly

APPROVED POWDER, PROJECTILES, & PRIMERS — Approved Black Powder 100gr of Blackhorn 209 Powder — Approved Projectiles Federal B.O.R. Lock Z Hornady FPB Similar Projectiles That Do Not Have Wadding or Plastic That Separates From The Projectile Upon Firing — Approved Primers Winchester 209 Primers 209 Shotshell Primers
and because it uses shotgun primers you can not use it for hunting in idaho,washington and oregon. which hopefully with design improvements could eventually end up having a fix for hunters in those states

also nyc,Illinois and new jersey require it to be shipped via FFL due to their own laws

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   

one would hope that if this design takes off they can accommodate their suppressor to fit on muzzle loading handguns and eventually black powder shotguns although i doubt it would work on black powder revolvers

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Has anyone actually come up with a good reason why suppressors are an NFA item? Reducing noise is all they do, and they don't make it silent, just quieter. I understand that in the UK they are not regulated and easy to get. Why is it that in the US we have to spend money and jump through hoops just to save our hearing? Are people really under the impression that if the average Joe had a suppressor, he would turn into a contract killer?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

mostly because of fear instilled by holly wood and gun control proponents who think that any one that would own one would some how magically turn into a hit man over night and just start willy nilly shooting people, but that soon may not be the case as legislation is forthcoming that would deregulate suppressors and get rid of the tax stamp and extended waiting period www.guns.com...

Battle lines are being drawn early in a sweeping new sportsmen’s’ package introduced in the House earlier this month that includes language from the Hearing Protection Act. The bipartisan measure, the Sportsmen Heritage and Recreational Enhancement or SHARE Act, blends popular initiatives to safeguard and expand hunting and fishing rights and practices across public land with one to drop suppressors from National Firearms Act regulation. South Carolina Republican U.S. Rep. Jeff Duncan, the sponsor of the bill, has been working with Democrats within the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus to try and garner support from across the aisle.
so hopefully the share act passes as it would help protect hunters hearing as well as cut down on noise at shooting ranges.

ill throw in a link from Huff po that implies wrongly at least in my opinion that "gun makers are struggling " but with reccord sales of firearms i personally find that hard to believe.

The Hearing Protection Act has been wrapped into a larger legislative package called the Sportsmen Heritage And Recreational Enhancement (SHARE) Act, which is expected to get a House vote as early as this month. The GOP-controlled House appears likely to pass the legislation; it faces a much less certain future in the Senate. Much of the debate over silencers has so far centered around safety. Supporters of the legislation say they’re working to protect the eardrums of hunters and recreational shooters, who routinely expose themselves to high-volume gunfire. Opponents believe loosening the regulations would be dangerous, because criminals could obtain silencers more easily as well.
so thats part of the reason why they have been regulated for a while but as they tend to be used rarely if ever in actual crimes i find that a pretty weak argument for keeping them restricted.www.huffingtonpost.com...

thehill.com... another link,note the improper term usage of Silencer vs the correct terminology of Suppressor as they do not infact silence a fire arms report and sound.and just as a side note i have a lever action henry rifle and when i put subsonic ammunition in it the report is quieter then a BBgun. but the fact suppressors have been regulated for a good deal now is exactly why the muzzle loader in my OP was created as a way to navigate around the regulations that make them currently hard to acquire

www.washingtonpost.com... and just like the muzzle loader in my first post ,they do not completely cancel out the noise as is shown by this snippet.

How much is the noise reduced? By up to 30 decibels, depending on the type of gun, ammunition and suppressor. Currently, gun control lobbies are claiming that if “silencers” are available, people will not be able to hear a mass shooting that is going on nearby. To test the claim, let’s consider last week’s attack on Republicans who were practicing baseball in Alexandria. The criminal used a SKS rifle, with 7.62mm ammunition. Without a suppressor, the sound of a shot from such a gun is 165 decibels. This is more than twice as loud as a jet take-off, if you are 25 meters from the jet. With a suppressor, the SKS would be about 140db. That’s equivalent to being on an active aircraft carrier deck.
so as any one who has worked on a carrier deck can attest to that is still pretty loud
edit on 19-9-2017 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-9-2017 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Has anyone actually come up with a good reason why suppressors are an NFA item? Reducing noise is all they do, and they don't make it silent, just quieter. I understand that in the UK they are not regulated and easy to get. Why is it that in the US we have to spend money and jump through hoops just to save our hearing? Are people really under the impression that if the average Joe had a suppressor, he would turn into a contract killer?

Easy- anti gun folks don't want you to have them... and the government loves more money.
So they came to a compromise on how much they could ban them vs how much money they could make off of them.

That compromise is $200 and about a 9-month wait.

That means nobody is mass producing them, so instead of costing $50-$150, they seem to start at $600.

Yet, go on youtube, you'll see that a $5 oil filter works as well as the $600+$200 suppressor- Only catch is, it makes you a felon.

I was told there's an effort to remove that $200 fee (extortion tax imo) and 9-month wait, since firearms would be a whole lot safer if they didn't cause hearing damage with every shot... but it's not making much progress.

www.guns.com... ntroduce-shush-act-to-classify-suppressors-as-gun-accessory/

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
silencerco.com... here is a link to the atf letter when they sent their product in to make sure it was in fact legal

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   

The last .22lr I bought, I made sure it had a threaded barrel just in case this goes through. I have a great place to shoot, but my only neighbor works night shift, so I can either shoot at my leisure and be "that guy", or I can try to curtail my shooting to a time when he's up. With a suppressor, I think I could shoot the 22 without irritating him. I just would rather not spend $800 to do it. (cost of suppressor and tax stamp)

I'm looking forward to this bill passing.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

From your link:

“The bill would end the federal requirement for background checks on firearm silencer sales, and make it legal for convicted felons, domestic abusers, and the dangerously mentally ill to buy and possess silencers,” said Everytown in a statement. “To the satisfaction of NRA headquarters, the legislation would profit gun manufacturers, who could mass market firearm silencers at the expense of public safety.”

the logic of the opposition, isn't the main part of the process still illegal for felons? You know, the "gun".

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

The last .22lr I bought, I made sure it had a threaded barrel just in case this goes through. I have a great place to shoot, but my only neighbor works night shift, so I can either shoot at my leisure and be "that guy", or I can try to curtail my shooting to a time when he's up. With a suppressor, I think I could shoot the 22 without irritating him. I just would rather not spend $800 to do it. (cost of suppressor and tax stamp)

I'm looking forward to this bill passing.

If the .22 is a Ruger 10/22 you can get a special bolt made for cycling CCI quit ammo in .22LR,it is just as quiet as suppressed but it costs $200 instead of $300-600 + $200. (depending on suppressor model)

I've been toying with the idea of buying a 10/22 just to play around with CCI quiet ammo and the special bolt.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Ohio can use straight walled rifle cartridges (no bottle necked calibers) .357 or greater and handguns with 6" or longer barrel for deer. So .357, .45 acp .44 special or magnum but not .380, 9mm or .38 special. And of course the limitation of no more than 3 rounds in the gun at any time (but does not have to be "fixed" to only hold three).

Makes you wonder if they will think about a cap and ball revolver in the future...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Very interesting. I watched the video at the bottom, it is a breach loader/black powder weapon no?

ETA semantics aside, what a great idea. Legal silencing in all 50...now Im not sure that makes it legal to hunt all 50 states IE MA. Ohio etc...have shotgun only, no rifles due to travel...anyone know? I have to assume I could still only use this on the range here

ETA aaaah its a shotgun primer, break but still considered muzzleloader:its a #209 shotgun primer, not a cartridge.
looks quite interesting,why does the vid have screechy loud music? I suspect it's to mask the sound of the not so quiet 50 didn't see any DB levels noted with and w/o the silencer.
edit on 19-9-2017 by PsychicCroMag because: i hit the derd wrong button

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Sure looked to me something went into the breach..primer/percussion cap maybe?

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

felons who are not on probation or parole can own these as they are not legally a gun,sorry for late reply had first day of work today ,but again its a muzzle loader so unless they are british rangers or american snipers the most they will get is two rounds a minute (brits averaged four and they were good) its also rfiled not smooth bore so takes longer to load vs just pouring powder shot and shell down the barrel and tamping it,it at least with my black powder probally requires a sabot or a wadding to keep it nestled near enouth the powder charge to not make a boom explode vs boom shoot

posted on Sep, 20 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: PsychicCroMag

they say 2/rds reduction in smoke but i didnt see decibles sited,i think its brand new and isnt out in the wild yet,but i can comfortably fire my .50 muzzle loader with out hearing protection and its more of a low pop then a sharp painfull crack like compared to my ak or god forbid you fire a mosin nagant with out hearing protection .so think like a mortar tube firework vs a rifle or high caliber pistol shot

so yeah with out it you kind of get a bit of pain cuz loud noises bad but if you google it it says 138 decibels in the tag line but i cant find a link to actual specs if that makes sense?

i think the best way is a smoke pole goes boom, a modern Rifle goes Crack
edit on 20-9-2017 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join