It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about hyper speed in space

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: MajorAce

How much power would it take to pull all of space around and past a ship while it never moves.

Lots.

But with dilithium crystals and antimatter it can be done. It's not easy, but it can be done.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: MajorAce

How much power would it take to pull all of space around and past a ship while it never moves.

Lots.

But with dilithium crystals and antimatter it can be done. It's not easy, but it can be done.

Or reducing the mass of your ship to negative numbers inside of said warp field? That would reduce energy requirements.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

I don't think that technology exists.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
The ships in star trek don't actually move they sit in a pocket of still space. A warp bubble is created around the ship that warps space around the ship.

This is how they can travel faster than the speed of light because they are not actually moving in a conventional sense of momentum.

The ships sit still and space is warped around them I would assume any debris is warped around the bubble surrounding the ship as well.

That would explain why worm-holes are disturbed by warp drive.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

A warp drive has been considered as an actual possibility for travel.

Though there are many many many hurdles to overcome if it is even doable at all.

I for one hope it is but that's something a Star Trek fan would say.

link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: yuppa

I don't think that technology exists.

The triangles use it.

link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Hyper drives displace time, suspending the time it takes to travel from point a to b by jumping there.

This would also account for abrupt angular changes of direction reported in some UFO cases.

Time is switched 'off' for the moment it takes to 'jump' to the new direction. Otherwise everything and the occupants would get squished.

If one were to "switch off" time, how would one ever be able to "switch" it back "on" again?

Actions occur within the framework of time; no time, no action possible.

On the other hand, if you can cease conceiving of time as a linear construct, and can set aside the convenience of time being broken up into discrete segments (hours, minutes, seconds and such), seemingly "instantaneous" "travel" between two points in relative space becomes possible.

If Past, Present, and Future (or, more precisely, Pasts, Presents, and Futures) are perceived as simultaneously co-existent in a sort of globular construct, then "where" and "when" become merely a matter of perception, really.
edit on 18-9-2017 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Robert H. In one of his books(can't remember the name) they used a series of ice blocks tons and tons in the front of the ship.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

In 'The Songs of Distant Earth" by Arthur C. Clarke they also used frontal ice shielding ....

Nice book

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86
The magnetosphere...surrounding the starship, "interacts with high energy particles, creating an electric field that makes the incoming particles swerve around it --- similar to raindrops deflected off an umbrella."

www.bbc.com...

Or like Earths magnetosphere and atmosphere which deflects the solar wind, cosmic radiation at the side effect of creating Aurora at the poles. The Earth is whizzing around the Sun at 67,000mph . And our solar system is orbiting the black hole at the center of our galaxy at a speed of 515,000 mph, while our galaxy is traveling at 70miles/second towards the Andromeda galaxy.

www.space.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Memory Alpha Star Trek Wiki

Great site, it explains in detail every bit of tech and how it's suppose to work, including plot holes being unexplained or some certain tech that was detailed wrong through out the different series.

Love the site, spent days on it...and I'm not even a Star Trek fan - I just like Patrick Stewart and the Borg (I never even knew Patrick was in Star Trek...just knew he played some captain dude in some show - After getting home from hospital one day and I was bed bound, remote for TV fell off bed and the TV was stuck on the sci-fi channel..alas Star Trek).

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:20 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

As someone else pointed out - because the deflector dish.

But the real problem with Star Trek is the time problem, with them travelling at varying degrees of Warp, without any time dilation relative to anyone, Earth included.

Does anyone know if or how this is addressed in the Star Trek world?

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon
I always liked the explanation about the Klingon bumpy forehead thing:
Worf: We don't discuss it with outsiders.

edit on 9/19/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Favorite thread so far...

Signing stars and flags all around

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That was the transgenetic wars (or whatever it was named) wasn't it? Klingons stole the sequences and inserted into their DNA...some virus intermingled and boom, Klingons go dead now.

Think the main Scientist was plated by Brent Spiner in Enterprise.

Okay, how the hell do I remember this stuff I read a decade ago about Star Trek!? But I can't remember how to tie a knot >_>
edit on 19-9-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Added + Fixed

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   

All those wasted neurons.
*sigh*

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

If one were to "switch off" time, how would one ever be able to "switch" it back "on" again?

By 'entering' and 'returning' from hyperspace.
Hyper space is that other dimension all around us, invisible, that we can't detect with our current instruments.

But we know it is there.

ETA:

If Past, Present, and Future (or, more precisely, Pasts, Presents, and Futures) are perceived as simultaneously co-existent in a sort of globular construct, then "where" and "when" become merely a matter of perception, really.

Everywhere and everywhen become accessible in hyper space (where the hypercube 'went' ).

edit on 19-9-2017 by intrptr because: ETA:

edit on 19-9-2017 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

After getting home from hospital one day and I was bed bound, remote for TV fell off bed and the TV was stuck on the sci-fi channel..alas Star Trek).

What a nightmare, I'll remember that if I ever get warped into that situation.

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
Well technically, the ship is stationary and space time is moving. So that means that there is a field around the craft and matter simply moves around it. This is a fictional/theoretical of course. a reply to: network dude

“It never occurred to me to think of space as the thing that was moving”

posted on Sep, 19 2017 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I am fond of the interstellar drive in the EE "Doc Smith" books - the first space operas. Inertia-less drive. Way ahead of his time.

Basically if you can cancel out inertia you can accelerate and manoeuvre without having to worry about mass or G-forces. Not FTL, though.

I think his Triplanetary series was written in the 1930's. Good stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join