It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A question about hyper speed in space

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Ah, but you forget poor Sir Isaac, my friend!

Anything "bouncing" off an object moving at, or near relativistic speeds (assuming said object was not vaporized by the collision) would deflect at a significant portion of the impact speed, would it not?

So space would be filled with clouds of objects, like a boat's wake, speeding from the passage of UFO's!

PROOF at Last!

Or perhaps such vehicles do no traverse "space" at all, or least, not "space" as we know it?
edit on 18-9-2017 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The magnetosphere...surrounding the starship, "interacts with high energy particles, creating an electric field that makes the incoming particles swerve around it --- similar to raindrops deflected off an umbrella."
edit on 18-9-2017 by Erno86 because: link work

www.bbc.com...
edit on 18-9-2017 by Erno86 because: ditto

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
In Star Trek (as has been mentioned prior n various posts) there are two technologies at work here.

1. The Deflector Shield: Produced by the large parabolic deflector dish at the front of the engineering section (located under the saucer section). The purpose of this is to deflect any particles from striking the ship while traveling at sub-warp speeds. And, if properly reconfigured, can be used as a powerful single use particle beam weapon.

2. Warp Engines: The end point of these are the two torpedo shaped "nacelles" on the angled struts at the aft/side of the ship. When the warp engine is engaged, combined they produce a "warp bubble". That bubble encloses the entire ship, creating an area that is no longer existing in normal space-time. This allows space-time itself to move "around" the ship, so the ship itself travels less than the speed of light, as space-time around it moves faster than the speed of light (which does not break the known laws of physics since space-time can move faster than light as it is massless). Since the ship is not moving withing normal space-time, the debris and cosmic radiation can never reach the ship inside the warp bubble. Since warping space takes enormous amounts of energy, core of the engine (warp core) mixes matter and anti-matter in a magnetic field chamber, and directs the resulting pure energy to the nacelles via the plasma conduits.

At least, that is is what I've heard.

Granted, most of this is technobabble....but is loosely based upon hard science and physics.

K'Plah!

edit on 9/18/2017 by Krakatoa because: spelling

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
Yea, I get my knowledge from movies and Star Trek. And I fully admit my knowledge is minimal. But when I try to think about "Warp" speed, in that a ship is moving really, really fast in space, I start to wonder about all the little bits of things floating around up there. All the rocks hurling towards something. How could you set up a destination, the vehicle start up, move really, really fast, and not have anything fly into an engine, or hit the windshield?

It kind of pisses me off, I can't travel 200 miles of interstate at the speed limit without a rock flying up and hitting my windshield. Why do you get a free pass in space?

If you look really close at the front of the ship, you will see a person in a space suit with a ping pong paddle. In my opinion it is probably not the most technological way they deflect debris, but if it works, why not.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

it's not the bird strikes that we need to worry about.

it's the tribble strikes. those fuzzy, doe eyed creatures are a menace to the windshield at warp 1.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: subfab

Tribbles are not doe eyed.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Well the reality is it as we know it we're not capable of accelerating to faster than the speed of light the way that we have envisioned warp drive is to actually modify SpaceTime in front of him behind the ship so they're actually riding kind of a wave of warping space-time so you're not actually traveling very fast within the space that you're in, well relatively.

Jaden
edit on 18-9-2017 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

oh yeah? look a little closer.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: subfab

Tribbles are not doe eyed.

That has always been the trouble with Tribbles.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Because 'hyper' space isn't in this dimension.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Warp drives do not use "hyper" space.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Warp drives do not use "hyper" space.

"Warp" isn't in this dimension.

To cross over into hyperspace you need hyper drive.

edit on 18-9-2017 by intrptr because: additional.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yes, it is.
Warp drives distort spacetime. Good old normal spacetime.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Because space is really really big?

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

a reply to: intrptr

Yes, it is.
Warp drives distort spacetime. Good old normal spacetime.

Well maybe on star trek. Hyper drives are required to offset the laws of Physics. The UFO reports that have objects disappearing then reappearing some distance away, in a moment?

Those aren't 'warp drives', they are hyper drives.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Hyper drives displace time, suspending the time it takes to travel from point a to b by jumping there.

This would also account for abrupt angular changes of direction reported in some UFO cases.

Time is switched 'off' for the moment it takes to 'jump' to the new direction. Otherwise everything and the occupants would get squished.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The ships in star trek don't actually move they sit in a pocket of still space. A warp bubble is created around the ship that warps space around the ship.

This is how they can travel faster than the speed of light because they are not actually moving in a conventional sense of momentum.

The ships sit still and space is warped around them I would assume any debris is warped around the bubble surrounding the ship as well.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
As for the question on faster than light communication, that is explained (in Star Trek) as being "transmitted though subspace". We can interpret that today as using quantum entanglement as the medium to transfer the information faster than light. Another thing that recently was proven to be possible using entangled photons (if memory serves).

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

The ships in star trek don't actually move they sit in a pocket of still space. A warp bubble is created around the ship that warps space around the ship.

Thats how its explained , now. But back when the series came out they had the warp drive engines "accelerating" (the doppler pitch sound) and the engines themselves placed on pontoons up high and back, lol.

edit on 18-9-2017 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
How much power would it take to pull all of space around and past a ship while it never moves. While creating a force field strong enough to vaporize micro meteors . .. Seems with this kind of thinking FTL will never happen.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join