It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks Like Hurricane MARIA Will Soon Be a Threat.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: marg6043

Why the name jump from Jose to Maria, I wonder? No "K" or "L" names available?

No, there was Katia amd Lee . Katia made landfall in Mexico. Lee is still a tropical storm, they get named once they become TS Status

I see! Thanks filling in the blanks!

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust
I meant tropical depression, I edited that

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Hurricane Maria Update:

...MARIA FORECAST TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE AS IT MOVES NEAR THE LEEWARD ISLANDS.

11:00 PM AST Sun Sep 17
Moving: WNW at 13 mph
Min pressure: 979 mb
Max sustained: 85 mph
NHC

edit on 17-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Katia and Lee have already been used. I think Lee is still active...I might be wrong about that, though.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen

Katia and Lee have already been used. I think Lee is still active...I might be wrong about that, though.

You're right. Violet explained it on the last page.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: violet

That bend to the Northwest looks encouraging. I think that might be the beginning of Maria's eventual turn even further North and eventually Northeast....missing the USA mainland. (fingers crossed!)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   

That bend to the Northwest looks encouraging. I think that might be the beginning of Maria's eventual turn even further North and eventually Northeast....missing the USA mainland. (fingers crossed!)

That's what I was thinking. Hoping.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

Its not just about buying boats.

Major cities tend to spring up in close proximity to either the sea, rivers, or both. The simple reason for this, is that back in the days of yore, it was easier to survive if you could fish and have a good clean source of water to live off of. Then, people figured out how to make big boats, called them ships, then started sailing them all over Gods green creation. At this point, cities got bigger, because they could buy in materials and goods from trading ships, which they would sail up and down big rivers, and to harbour cities.

Many of these large, ocean facing or river situated cities began to have shipwrights, chandlers yards and ship yards spring up, so as they could make and repair ships too. Pretty soon, these big cities, where they once relied on fishing and so on, began to rely also on trade, and warehouses, distribution systems sprung up. As the cities became more businesslike and wealthy, as a result of their situation near the sea, or rivers, or both and their access to the benefits of shipping, they grew, as more and more people wanted to take a slice of the action, escape the rural decline.

Now, these cities, while they may still have some of their old fishing, shipping and trade connections in place, are also highly cosmopolitan places, where most people living there have nothing to do with the major industries which used to support them. Miami is right by the sea, but the majority of its citizens do not work with or in the ocean.

You have resources in these major cities now which cannot be upped and moved elsewhere without huge expense, and some of those resources are just immovable from a practical point of view, regardless of cost.

So sea level rise is not just about individuals getting boats or jet skis. Everything from the housing available in these locations, to the borders of towns and cities themselves, needs to be modified to cope with the change in sea level and the intensity of hurricanes, either individually, or in groups. If these cities are to remain, if people are not going to have to totally abandon the coastlines and river basins which have been home to commerce centres and moments of historical significance, then sea walls of enormous size will have to be erected, land reclaimed from the sea in a similar fashion to the manner in which the Dutch reclaimed a massive amount of land from the sea, which is protected by dikes, to keep the water out.

If these things are going to happen at all, the work needs doing NOW, BEFORE sea level rise becomes more of a challenge than it already is. Towns and cities in America, including Miami, have already had to make major infrastructural changes to cope with a rising sea level, but those changes, limited as they were by the unwillingess of science deniers to accept the problem, or its scale, or the speed of change or any other thing about the sea level, are stop gap in scale, at best. What is needed is major investment, which will result in all habitations, cities, towns and villages on the sea or around river basins, protected by infrastructural development, reclaiming works as mentioned above, among other things.

This will be an effort which will make many civil engineering feats in history, look like nothing at all, because the scale of the problem is so vast. To put it simply, a wall on the US/Mexico border is pointless... A sea wall and land reclamation effort however, is necessary, if these coastal cities are going to remain viable and habitable for the next hundred and fifty, to two hundred years, leave alone beyond that. Its a major problem, so armbands and boogie boards, jet skis and little speed boats are not going to be a long term solution.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: OzManHero

Katia hit Mexico around the time Irma was around FL Sep 9th. Lee is still swimming around in the ocean

Katia was one of those hurricanes that forms in the Gulf and hits Mexico a couple days later. Lee is far out at sea, and is predicted to dissipate before it ever approaches land. I don't know if it ever even became a hurricane.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Puerto Rico couldn't even withstand a brush from Irma without a million people losing power. (Supposedly, some people won't get it back for months.) I wonder what'll happen if they get a direct hit from a major hurricane? It'll probably blast them back to Third World status.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Latest on Maria

NHC

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:31 AM
link   

...MARIA RAPIDLY INTENSIFIES INTO A MAJOR HURRICANE... ...THE EYE IS EXPECTED TO MOVE THROUGH THE LEEWARD ISLANDS LATE THIS AFTERNOON OR THIS EVENING...

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

A Tropical Storm Warning has been issued from Watch Hill, Rhode
Island, to Hull, Massachusetts, including Block Island, Martha's
Vineyard, and Nantucket.

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* Watch Hill to Hull
* Block Island
* Martha's Vineyard
* Nantucket

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
* Fenwick Island to Sandy Hook
* Delaware Bay South
* East Rockaway Inlet to Watch Hill

NHC
edit on 18-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
It's a shame that mankind doesn't have 100s of years of history with these storms so that people would have some experience to use.

Just think how if a similar storm has recently based near the area then people would have fresh experience.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Just heard that Maria has been upgraded to a category 4 storm now.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

My poor Island of PR has always been prepared for hurricanes at least the population. You either have a generator and storm shutters, they are a plus.
The power problem is not new even back in the 70s when I was living in the Island the electricity was always on and off without hurricanes damage.

The reason is because it was only one big power plant that used to supply the entire Island call Palo Alto, then a smaller was built to take some of the burden of Palo Alto, then Hugo came around and put Alto out of business and now the smaller plant is taking care of all the Island because is not money to build new ones or fix the old one.

The same goes for the water dam is soo full of dirt that is more dirt in the dam than water and no money to clean it.

Who is at fault, well greedy politicians and mismanagement of tax dollars.

We survive big hurricanes before Hugo was the last one, don’t believe what the weather channel said when it makes a claim that PR is not used to major hit hurricanes, they are lying, we have our fair share of the biggest one before recorded history in the 60s.

My mother and grandmother remember them at least in modern days all construction is cement and block so homes will stand.

Since the last century PR has been hit by 53 major hurricanes.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Wow..53 major hurricanes in the past 100 years is one every 2 years! I guess every facility in Puerto Rico must be constantly prepared, given that frequency. Especially the hospitals.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

The very first Hurricane ever recorded in PR was the Great Hurricane of 1780, it decimated the entire Island, The naming of hurricanes came after the 1800s and it was the names of Saints.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
I just finished talking to my parents in PR, is not water to find anywhere around and no wood.

My mom was supposed to have knew surgery a week ago and it was cancel because of Irma and now she doesn't even know when is going to happen.

My parents are worry but ready.

Will be calling my brother later as he lives in the are where the Hurricane is supposed to enter the Island, he lives in a hill facing a very nice marina and the sea.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Maria is now a Cat 5, according to ABC News.

Thoughts for all in harm's way.

edit on 18-9-2017 by DancedWithWolves because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: DancedWithWolves

It's likely to be bad. But not really bad.
www.nhc.noaa.gov...

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join