It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republicans Trying One Last Time to Replace ObamaCare Before the 9.30.2017 Deadline.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 09:53 PM
link   
September 16, 2017

This particular proposal is authored by Republican Senators Lindsey Graham and Bill Cassidy. Like the prior attempts, it needs 50 votes to pass the Senate. Senator Cassidy says that there are 48 Senators onboard, and he's working to get a few more. President Trump and 20 Governors have also signed on with their support of the "Graham-Cassidy" bill to repeal-replace ObamaCare.

The basic idea behind Cassidy-Graham, according to its drafters, is to let states take over their own health care, rather than having the federal government run health care policy for the whole country. It would dismantle most of the Affordable Care Act's structure, getting rid of subsidies for buying insurance on the individual market and the Medicaid expansion, and turning that money into block grants of funding that states receive in order to spend on health care. States, however, would get to decide how to spend it themselves.
Full Story at: www.bustle.com...

The Senate parliamentarian says that the bill must pass the Senate before the end of the current fiscal year, which is September 30, 2017. The next opportunity will not come until after the horrific 26% ObamaCare premium increases take effect, in January 2018.

It's a long-shot, but millions of working people and entrepreneurs who must buy their own health insurance, are rooting for this last ditch, face-saving Republican effort to succeed.

If Graham-Cassidy does not succeed, a bipartisan Senate Commission will give at least $15 Billion taxpayer dollars to the health insurance industry, in the hope that some companies will come back to ObamaCare, and premiums will be slightly reduced.

Bi-Partisan Commission Hopes to "Shore Up" ObamaCare for 2018: www.washingtonexaminer.com...

-CareWeMust

edit on 9/16/2017 by carewemust because: minor title adjustment

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

This particular proposal is authored by Republican Senators Lindsey Graham and Bill Cassidy. Like the prior attempts, it needs 50 votes to pass the Senate. Senator Cassidy says that there are 48 Senators onboard, and he's working to get a few more. President Trump and 20 Governors have also signed on with their support of the "Graham-Cassidy" bill to repeal-replace ObamaCare.

Imagine for a moment this kind of debate about whether to build another aircraft carrier strike Group, or a bazillion DOD spending package?

Theres your sign...
edit on 16-9-2017 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I don't think they argue too much over big defense spending. Lots of money is invested all across America whenever $100 Billion is committed to a defense project.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Isn't medical 20% of the GDP?

Looks like here in the US our "bread and butter" is bullets and band-aids.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

I don't think they argue too much over big defense spending.

I just said that. They only debate on the Hill, on the porch and in the media when they don't want to spend the money.

So they have more for 'defense'.

edit on 16-9-2017 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

You're close. According to this 2017 chart ( www.usgovernmentspending.com... ) healthcare is 23% and defense is 12% of the budget.

One thing I've noticed about military spending is that it is spread amongst families who don't have a highly-skilled primary bread-winner.

On the other hand, most of the people I know who benefit from Medical/Healthcare spending, live in exclusive neighborhoods.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I don't think they argue too much over big defense spending.

I just said that. They only debate on the Hill, on the porch and in the media when they don't want to spend the money.

So they have more for 'defense'.

Hey.. good point! Repealing ObamaCare is all about spending LESS taxpayer money...hence, all the arguments.

Well then, the government should LOVE Bernie Sander's Medicare-for-all proposal. At $3 Trillion a year, it would spit out far more government money than the $120 billion taxpayer dollars spent on ObamaCare every year.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   

At this point, I think block grants could work, as long as it is equivalent to what we're getting per capita investment.

If I lived in a red state, I'd feel differently but this will shut a lot of Obamacare whiners up if executed properly.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Exactly right. Actually, this will be just like pre-2010 (pre-ObamaCare), but with states getting billions of ADDITIONAL dollars per year from the federal government.

I'd hate to be a healthy, middle-aged, middle-income man/woman/family in New York or California though. Their premiums will stay hellishly high...just like they were before ObamaCare, only worse.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Like it or not,Obama care is here to stay.This move by the repubs is Totally the definition of beating a dead horse..

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Yeah sure, the GOP is going to go up against the "health care for profit" industry.

gimmie a break....what ever they eventually pass will be bending over to the insurance/provider Gods they worship...believe me.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Is this another one that they have to pass before we know what is in it?

I hope not.

If Graham-Cassidy does not succeed, a bipartisan Senate Commission will give at least $15 Billion taxpayer dollars to the health insurance industry, in the hope that some companies will come back to ObamaCare, and premiums will be slightly reduced.

Hmm. I say screw the health insurance industry. They screw everyone else.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: greydaze

Like it or not,Obama care is here to stay.This move by the repubs is Totally the definition of beating a dead horse..

Looks like it will fail on it's own then. I think Trump said something along those lines before.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Well then, the government should LOVE Bernie Sander's Medicare-for-all proposal. At $3 Trillion a year, it would spit out far more government money than the $120 billion taxpayer dollars spent on ObamaCare every year.

Everyone's taxes would go up 80% to accomplish Bernie's program.

We need something outside of the insurance umbrella to actually make a program like that work.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: greydaze

That's why this effort is being classified as a long-shot by everyone involved. But trying 1 more time is better than not trying at all.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

Is this another one that they have to pass before we know what is in it?

I hope not.

Hmm. I say screw the health insurance industry. They screw everyone else.

The bipartisan bill will be full of conflicts. Input from both Republicans and Democrats will make it a very messy "compromise" piece of legislation. The real winners will be the insurance companies and people who earn/receive less than $16,000 a year in income, or government $$$.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone
a reply to: greydaze

Looks like it will fail on it's own then. I think Trump said something along those lines before.

Correct. ObamaCare is failing on its own, as it was designed to do. Unfortunately for ObamaCare supporters, Hillary didn't win, so it's up to Republicans to either replace ObamaCare, or fix it. The "fix" is more like a Band-Aid, using additional taxpayer dollars. Dollars that will accomplish very little, because ObamaCare WANTS to fail.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

20%..wow, and people shell out on top of that, in Canada single payer costs us 11% and of course there are some costs paid by the user as well in some cases.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: carewemust

Everyone's taxes would go up 80% to accomplish Bernie's program.

We need something outside of the insurance umbrella to actually make a program like that work.

For now, Bernie's program is definitely a non-starter. Just a pipe dream. But, a watered down version would be far better than ObamaCare. That watered-down version is what Democrats hope to use in their 2018 and 2020 election messaging.

ObamaCare has a new 3% tax that kicks in on all health insurance plans (individual and employer) on 1.1.2018. That tax was programmed into the law in 2010. More pre-programmed ObamaCare taxes are coming in the next few years.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I don't qualify for ACA care.
I don't qualify for Medicaid even though I work 40 hours a week.
I owe student loans which were lent at a rate that would be considered usury now. But it was far cheaper to pay off my now ex wife's loans, and then bargain and pay mine off in a lump sum.
Now, I have NO health insurance. No preventative care, nothing. My gf makes nearly the same meager income that I make. She doesn't qualify either, because she owns her house. In other words, she would have to sell her home that she already pays a near mortgage payment on in property taxes in order to get health care.

This whole thing is a scam.

Follow the money.

Don't blame the common folk. Blame the commercials for fat rascals saying, "if you have Medicare or Medicaid, our operators are standing by". They bill the government $15k for a $3k scooter. But that's 'Merica. That's business.

If basic health needs were met. No overcrowding emergency rooms for the flu or five stitches. More urgent care, more nurse practitioners able to take care of small ailments. Two check ups per year with blood screens. I'd pay the government a couple of grand from my check. With the ACA, the cheapest plan was $260/mo for me. With a $5k deductible for everything health related before I could even see a penny back. Meanwhile I still had to pay that sum. Which, with out a major catastrophe, it didn't make sense. Still doesn't.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join