It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate change contributing to World Hunger

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Here is some more proof of the harm done by climate change. Of course Irma destroying Florida citrus crops will only make things worse. Eleven percent of the world population doesn't have enough food, this at a time when corporations and the wealthy are raking in record profits. This disproves both the myth that climate change doesn't exist and the myth that capitalism provides for everyone's needs.

www.msn.com...

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I think that piece makes conflict the major contributor to world hunger . Texas today is far from being a dust bowl and one could imagine that having water is ecclesial for crops even if it turns out to be rice rather then oranges . But at the end of the day conflict rules as being the # one reason .

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

The link says that much of the hunger is in war torn countries and that Africa and Asia are the most affected.

"More than half of those hungry live in areas affected by violent conflicts that have crippled local agriculture and restricted access to food supplies, with African nations being among the worst hit."
War not weather.

It also says that things are better than only a few years ago.

"While the amount of undernourished people around the world rose to the highest since 2008 last year, it was still about 14 percent below a peak set in 2003."

Are the starving countries in Africa capitalist countries?
Did global warming start the wars?

This didn't disprove any myths.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

I dont often drink Kool Aide, but when I do I don'shop for it on MSN or Bloomberg.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
There is climate change, I don't think anyone would disagree, so I'm not sure the point of your post? The Sahara desert was a tropical forest 6000 years ago as example.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   

The Human Species has at least another 25000 years to go before they solve every single problem.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 01:00 PM
link   
The only thing contributing to World hunger is the death grip the very rich and powerful on everything out there.

World Hunger is not a climate issue..It's a we suck issue.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
If climate change was the cause of world hunger, then we would be seeing countries not normally affected by famine etc now being affected. We aren't and won't. When the UK's crops start wilting in the fields and we turn into a desert maybe then I'll believe in climate change but until then its the same old corrupt countries year in year out, taking aid and spending it on multiple cars boats and houses not on irrigation and education

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Did global warming cause the overpopulation problem in these poverty stricken countries? Didn't think I so.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
It there is something called "The Alta Mira cycle. WSU archeologists found it on a dig in Spain. They back tracked it to the Marmesca e on the Palouse . Dating "Marmes Man" helped. Our climate flipped every 3500 years, and it's doing this now. Within a couple centuries, it will be warmer and wetter, or cooler and drier. This latter change means mass starvation around the world. Warmer only moves agricultures North a hundred miles or so! reply to: SR1TX

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

Alta Mira cycle.
A search only produces stuff about bicycles.

edit on 9/16/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Here is some more proof of the harm done by climate change. Of course Irma destroying Florida citrus crops will only make things worse. Eleven percent of the world population doesn't have enough food, this at a time when corporations and the wealthy are raking in record profits. This disproves both the myth that climate change doesn't exist and the myth that capitalism provides for everyone's needs.

www.msn.com...

While I do believe in climate change I disagree that we do not have enough land devoted to producing food. Humans today possess the technological means to grow more than enough food for all current humans. Here are some examples from japan.
www.hortidaily.com...
news.nationalgeographic.com...

Food scarcity is more about logistics and the economy driving prices than an issue of not enough food.

Since this is a climate change thread I'll say this. I believe that humans are contributing to how the climate acts though they are not the only or main cause. I worry more about pollution than co2 build up. I will always be on board with any person that wont's to stop companies from polluting our land, water, or air in any way.
edit on 16-9-2017 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: carpooler

Yeah maybe back when we didn't know how to conquer our world. There is not one thing we face that technology and ingenuity ultimately will not be able to fix if we simply try.

Flood the world and I will feed it still by floating Oil Tankers together side by side with dirt and mulch throughout the decks with open ceiling types that let sunlight in to all of the plants being grown etc. Ill find the tankers, the dirt, the mulch, and everything needed. It will be a floating super farm and community.

Burn it, Freeze it, Smash it...

We Will Rebuild it. Some how...Some Way.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

The Human Species has at least another 25000 years to go before they solve every single problem.

Only if our technology keeps growing, but If history tells us anything at some point in the next 25000 years humanity will hit that reset button.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

This disproves both the myth that climate change doesn't exist and the myth that capitalism provides for everyone's needs.

First, climate always changes...everyone knows this.

Second, not all countries in the world are Capitalist and unless they were you have proven absolutely nothing.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Here's an interesting article I read on:

The great nutrient collapse

www.politico.com...

It talks about how increased CO2 levels in the atmosphere are effecting the nutrient (and carbohydrate) of foods and possible repercussions of that. That while yields are going up - the nutritional value of the produce is dropping. This has been happening since the beginning of the industrial (fossil fuel) age.

In the outside world, the problem isn’t that plants are suddenly getting more light: It’s that for years, they’ve been getting more carbon dioxide.

Plants rely on both light and carbon dioxide to grow.

If shining more light results in faster-growing, less nutritious algae—junk-food algae whose ratio of sugar to nutrients was out of whack—then it seemed logical to assume that ramping up carbon dioxide might do the same. And it could also be playing out in plants all over the planet. What might that mean for the plants that people eat?

But as the zooplankton experiment showed, greater volume and better quality might not go hand-in-hand.

In fact, they might be inversely linked.

As best scientists can tell, this is what happens: Rising CO2 revs up photosynthesis, the process that helps plants transform sunlight to food. This makes plants grow, but it also leads them to pack in more carbohydrates like glucose at the expense of other nutrients that we depend on, like protein, iron and zinc.

Think on that one.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

To minimize the creation of Hurricanes humanity should probably implement a real climate adjustment project.

Desalt water from the oceans and use it to create a green Sahara.
response.restoration.noaa.gov...

To increase the plant growing of we need more CO2 in the air not less. 400ppm is a low level for maximizing food production. There is a reason carbon dioxide is added in greenhouse.

To make sure the CO2 level do not drop if we grown an extreme amount of plants in the Sahara we probably should compensate by burning coal and oil so that food production do not suffer by starving the plants of the needed CO2.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Sounds like another crackpot scientific estimation.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

If we take Eastern sea in Europe as an example:

Is the reason we have extreme growth of algaes because of increased carbon dioxide or because we are dumping an extreme amount of fertilizer into the ocean or both.

To much fertilization:
www.dw.com...

To reduce algae growth we should stop dumping fertilizers in the oceans and put it where it is supposed to be.

posted on Sep, 16 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: carpooler
It there is something called "The Alta Mira cycle. WSU archeologists found it on a dig in Spain. They back tracked it to the Marmesca e on the Palouse . Dating "Marmes Man" helped. Our climate flipped every 3500 years, and it's doing this now. Within a couple centuries, it will be warmer and wetter, or cooler and drier. This latter change means mass starvation around the world. Warmer only moves agricultures North a hundred miles or so! reply to: SR1TX

Is that something to do with the Cave of Altamira, Northern Spain where there are cave paintings?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join