It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For other Husker Du fans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:04 PM
link   
HÜSKER DÜ - Turn on the News

Grant Hart, the lead singer and drummer of the influential indie rock band Husker Du, has died after being diagnosed with liver cancer.

The death of the 56-year-old Minnesota rocker was confirmed by his former band mate, Bob Mould, on Facebook on Thursday.

Husker Du - Danish for "Do you remember" - rose to fame in the 1980s with their melodic take on punk rock.

BBC.com, US and Canada News, September 14, 2017 - Husker Du co-founder Grant Hart dies after cancer battle.

Oh dude. That sucks!

As a young lad running around the concrete jungle I would run into other "loner"-types that were doing the same thing I was doing: hanging out at the record shop and music store. Listening to everything I could get my hands on since radio, especially disco, sucked all the fun out of music. One chap in particular knew I liked some punk band from Ireland that nobody has ever heard of (LOL!).

One day at school, he walked up to me and handed me a couple cassettes (kids, ask your parents what a #2 pencil is good for!). One was U23 that he purchased while in England. The other side was a band I had not heard of, Husker Du. Along with a Dead Kennedy and a Black Flag mix tape (hehe!), those were my cherished possessions!

RIP Grant Hart! We spent a lot of time together even if you never knew it!
edit on 14-9-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: massive typo

edit on 14-9-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: correctly typeset the name

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

My old drummer got me into Husker Du, such a great band, such a great songwriter.
Rest in peace.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: jokei

Thanks for the additions! I forget how much I really like their music.

Punk still is on my playlist all these years later. I just noticed I don't have any on my ipod. Bummer. Would have done a marathon while in cubical h3ll. One more item for my shopping list. A pleasure to go repurchase some stuff I had on vinyl from years ago.

I don't think I'm ready to let go of my youth so readily. Not just yet.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Husker Du - The Girl Who Lives on Heaven Hill

Mostly because I want to see what they have down for lyrics... hehehe.

ETA: Hey! That is false advertising! The video is not the "(lyrics)" version. Still good to hear it though!
edit on 14-9-2017 by TEOTWAWKIAIFF because: add comment

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I got Candy Apple and Land Speed on vinyl, rest of it on cd...
My favourite tracks tend to have been written by Hart.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: jokei

I had Candy Apple Grey, Zen Arcade, and I think New Day Rising but then the Great Flood of 1998 hit and now I only have a couple dozen albums that are not ruined. Seeing as none of it made it to any version of my ipods, I'm assuming they are gone.

Then there are the songs on my mixed tape... I don't even recall what they were!

It will be like discovering them all over! I suppose it is about time seeing as last year I did a Replacements replacement and bought like 5 or 6 CDs.

I forgot about how Don't Wanna Know if You Are Lonely ended. It will be remembering stuff like that. Also forgot that there were guitar solos in most of the songs! One shame about punk rock is there were not more guitarists trying to put a solo down. There are a few like DK's Let Lynch The Landlord but nothing like how the Du did it!

Should be interesting revisiting this music since it has been a while. And since modern stuff is all over produced it will be that much better!

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

There's some good modern music, the Dead Cross album is new and good... the older I've gotten the more varied my music taste is. Huge Kennedy's fan here too

top topics

join