It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Not to Land an Orbital Rocket Booster

page: 1

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
twitter.com...

this one just made my day

i guess when you're loosing millions on the path to success, the only thing preventing you from going insane is a sense of humor

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
"Unscheduled Rapid Disassembly"

LOL I'm gonna use that every time something blows up around me.
edit on 14 9 17 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: jedi_hamster

"the course of true love never did run smooth"
hahaha

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   
That had to be one the of best videos I've seen in a long while LOL.
The "Unscheduled Rapid Disassembly" was the best part.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The Monty Python theme was a nice touch!

Crazy that they can land the thing in vertical at all! Then to do it at sea. Now that is just showing off!

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Wheel being recreated. This is from the 1990's. Let's just shovel more tax $$$ out there.

edit on 14-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Wheel being recreated. This is from the 1990's. Let's just shovel more tax $$$ out there.

Imagine if something like that had rockets to take it out to space and turboprops that would allow it to land like a quadrocopter.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Except that if you'd noticed, this is SpaceX. The Falcon series of rockets are privately funded. They fly missions for NASA, but the money to develop the rocket was company money, not tax dollars.
edit on 9/14/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:11 PM
link   
$4,900,000,000 went to the Musk companies. I guess I really can't say for sure if the falcon received tax $$$, but I would be surprised if it didn't.

Tesla Motors, SolarCity Corp and Space Exploration Technologies – known as SpaceX – together have benefited from an estimated $4.9bn in government support, according to the data compiled. The figure underscores a common theme running through his emerging empire: a public-private financing model underpinning long-shot startups.
a reply to: Zaphod58

www.theregister.co.uk...

edit on 14-9-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

The vast majority of that went to Tesla and his solar panel company. SpaceX cut a deal with Texas for about $20M in subsidies to build a launch facility. They also have over $5.5B in government launch contracts.

New York spent $750M to build a solar panel plant for SolarCity that they then leased to them for $1 a year, and cut $260M in property taxes. Since 2006 SolarCity received about $1.5B for solar panel installation from the government.

Tesla received $1.5B from Nevada to build a plant there.

www.latimes.com...

The Falcon series rockets are the first rockets developed solely with private funding.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   

00:20 made me lol.

i guess when you're loosing millions on the path to success, the only thing preventing you from going insane is a sense of humor

It's easier to have a sense of humor about loosing millions on the path, once you've reached success. That whole "one day we'll look back on this and laugh" thing only really works if you're not looking back defeated, broke, humiliated, in jail, dead, etc.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

true. but i think they were certain their goal is within their reach, otherwise they wouldn't start working on it in the first place. also, one has to maintain a positive attitude at tough moments like that.

posted on Sep, 15 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal
$4,900,000,000 went to the Musk companies.

How much does the Falcon 9 cost per launch? Now how much does an Atlas V or Delta IV cost per launch? Yeah, that's right, Falcon is cheaper, that's why it's winning launch contracts left and right. What he does with the money and the first stage rocket after getting the payload into orbit with the second stage is his business, not yours. The fact that he's doing it with a rocket that is making it CHEAPER for taxpayers to get payloads to orbit should be a cause for celebration, if you're being intellectually honest about having fiscal concerns.

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This looks like me on Kerbal Space Program

posted on Sep, 17 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
those were some damn pricey fireworks.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   
If every rocket fail was posted it would take 100 videos to show them all .
Space is high risk and higher mortality .
The only question is the price in lifes and money worth it .

The answer to that is self evident as you can easily find people willing to ride the wave that leads to the stars .
Success isnt failing its to keep tring till you succeed

new topics

top topics

join