It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I.C.E held american citizen for three years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
people say that it can happen here. that our government does not "make people disappear". or that it "should only happen to those bad people".
this man is an american citizen, davino watson was caught up by i.c.e. in a sweep and was held with out counsel for three years. when he was able to finally prove that he was an american citizen, the court awarded him only 100,000, only to have that taken away from him on appeal from i.c.e. the appeals judges, jacobs and livingston said that he suffered no harm.

remember the old saying, "when they came for the jews, i did nothing..... and finally, they came for me and there was nobody to defend me." regardless of which political side you are on, this should make you angry!

www.salon.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: blackthorne

Damn. Justice failed this man. Expect more and more cases like this to appear under Trump's Presidency. They've clearly made it a point to not care about nuance of detaining "illegals".

Just google "ice detains citizens" and read the results. It isn't pretty.
Two-thirds of arrests from ICE roundup are legal US citizens

"Project New Dawn," a part of ICE's "Operation Community Shield" program that targeted street gangs between March 26 and May 6, led to the arrests of 1,378 people nationwide who authorities say are involved in "transnational criminal activity, including drug trafficking, weapons smuggling, human smuggling and sex trafficking, murder and racketeering." Of those arrested, 933 are U.S. citizens. The other 445 people arrested during the program are from 21 different countries. Of those 445, 280 were arrested on administrative immigration violations, meaning their only known crime was being in the country illegally. So out of 1,378 alleged gangbangers busted during the roundup, 165 were illegal immigrants who committed crimes beyond standing on the wrong side of the border.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Damn. Justice failed this man. Expect more and more cases like this to appear under Trump's Presidency. They've clearly made it a point to not care about nuance of detaining "illegals".

"Project New Dawn," a part of ICE's "Operation Community Shield" program that targeted street gangs between March 26 and May 6, led to the arrests of 1,378 people nationwide who authorities say are involved in "transnational criminal activity, including drug trafficking, weapons smuggling, human smuggling and sex trafficking, murder and racketeering." Of those arrested, 933 are U.S. citizens. The other 445 people arrested during the program are from 21 different countries. Of those 445, 280 were arrested on administrative immigration violations, meaning their only known crime was being in the country illegally. So out of 1,378 alleged gangbangers busted during the roundup, 165 were illegal immigrants who committed crimes beyond standing on the wrong side of the border.

Well surely if they were arrested for "transnational criminal activity, including drug trafficking, weapons smuggling, human smuggling and sex trafficking, murder and racketeering." it doesn't really matter if they were immigrants or not does it?

1378 criminals were caught yes? 10% of them can be deported?

Sounds like a win to me...

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
bad post.
edit on 14-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Well this guy wasn't exactly a model citizen, he was busted for selling coc aine and some states will lock you up for longer than 4 years, but your progressive source seemed to omit that.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner

Well surely if they were arrested for "transnational criminal activity, including drug trafficking, weapons smuggling, human smuggling and sex trafficking, murder and racketeering." it doesn't really matter if they were immigrants or not does it?

Apparently you failed at reading that paragraph. 933 citizens were detained. The remaining 445 people were arrested for those violations. How is ruining 933 people's lives in order to deport 165 people a "win" in your book? Do you not care about constitutional protections in the course of pursuing justice?

That's not what it says, but OK!

ETA - Obviously, I don't agree with the detention though.
edit on 14-9-2017 by Dem0nc1eaner because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: bananashooter
Well this guy wasn't exactly a model citizen, he was busted for selling coc aine and some states will lock you up for longer than 4 years, but your progressive source seemed to omit that.

So that validates ICE removing this man's right to due process and a speedy trial?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Dem0nc1eaner

Those people still aren't guaranteed criminals and even if they are, they are still allotted Constitutional protections are they not?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well no, but it doesn't make me feel
As bad. a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Well no, but it doesn't make me feel
As bad. a reply to: Krazysh0t

So violating the Constitution is ok when you don't like the guy?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Apparently you failed at reading that paragraph. 933 citizens were detained. The remaining 445 people were arrested for those violations. How is ruining 933 people's lives in order to deport 165 people a "win" in your book? Do you not care about constitutional protections in the course of pursuing justice?

How were there lives ruined? I'm assuming they were actually gangbangers right?? Suspected of being illegal immigrants, whether they were or not, they were criminals? That's how I read it anyway.

If you are in a gang, I would think you would be used to being arrested, no?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

there's a damn big difference between being arrested as a citizen, going to trial, and receiving a sentence which has a finite limit. indefinite detainment without charges has no limit and is illegal.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: bananashooter

Under Sheriff Joe the Maricopa County Sheriff's Department had a habit of detaining brown people simple because they didn't have ID on them. What if one of these people ended up in ICE custody? Hell, who's to say that didn't happen?

Just because he was arrested for committing a crime (a crime he never actually stood trial for making him innocent in the eyes of the law) doesn't mean he should lose all of his rights. In fact that's one of those times where a person's rights matter the most.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

So that validates ICE removing this man's right to due process and a speedy trial?

Due process and a speedy trial?

Lol, whats that?

Nowadays if you are arrested, you have the right to go straight to jail under suspicion, stay there for months without charge or trial date, until they present you with a plea-bargain which, if you refuse, they will add on additional charges until you plead guilty to the lesser minor charge you weren't even guilty of in the first place.

All in due process.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

How were there lives ruined?

Because being arrested ruins lives guilty or not guilty. That is a proven fact.

I'm assuming they were actually gangbangers right??

The article says they are alleged gangbangers.

Suspected of being illegal immigrants, whether they were or not, they were criminals? That's how I read it anyway.

So you are saying they aren't entitled to Constitutional protections and have to be kicked out of the country?

Where is it illegal to be in a gang?

ETA: I seriously cannot believe so called Constitutionalists are defending the government stripping rights away from citizens... Well at least now I know who the real authoritarians in the country are.
edit on 14-9-2017 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Ouch. It seems ICE under Obama was pretty bad.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheTory

Ouch. It seems ICE under Obama was pretty bad.

Bush was the President in 2008.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Bush was the President in 2008.

It said he was detained for 3 years.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

True. At the same time we shouldn't ignore the fact that ICE was given a pretty loose leash under Obama as well. I mean your administration doesn't set the record for most deportations by keeping a tight rein on the department responsible for said deportations.
edit on 9/14/2017 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

How were there lives ruined?

Because being arrested ruins lives guilty or not guilty. That is a proven fact.

I'm assuming they were actually gangbangers right??

The article says they are alleged gangbangers.

Suspected of being illegal immigrants, whether they were or not, they were criminals? That's how I read it anyway.

So you are saying they aren't entitled to Constitutional protections and have to be kicked out of the country?

Where is it illegal to be in a gang?

ETA: I seriously cannot believe so called Constitutionalists are defending the government stripping rights away from citizens... Well at least now I know who the real authoritarians in the country are.

They weren't kicked out of the country though, they were released when found to just be normal homegrown US murderers and human traffickers.

Where did I say it was illegal to be in a gang?

Why do you think I am a Consitutionalist?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join