It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla Boosts Car Battery Power During Irma,

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You are still ignoring that the cable company pays for the content of their broadcasts.
For every subscription they have for HBO, they pay HBO a set price.
If a customer doesn't buy the HBO upgrade, the cable company does not pay HBO.

More content costs more money so they pass on the price to the customer.

The battery in this car is a set cost. No matter the output, it does not cost tesla one extra penny. They are just raising the price for nothing but profit.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
It's a conspiracy.

Everyone is out to get YOU.

Trust NO ONE. Well, except AM talk radio people who sell water filters and iodine.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Well they may have just allowed the batteries to discharge to a deeper level than what they normally would because it's not good to discharge a battery too deeply too often so they probably just allowed it for this one time

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

They are just raising the price for nothing but profit.

And because it raises the efficiency of their factories if they only have to produce one type of battery meaning lower costs for them and the consumer.

Would you rather be forced to pay $6,000 more for the base level Tesla because that's the only model they produce; or would you rather pay $6,000 more for the base level Tesla because they now have to diversify their battery production?

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I sure wish I had the extra buck fifty for that pepperoni... oh well. I can be satisfied with just a cheese pizza.

DISCLAIMER: Not in any way, shape or form relating to PG.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
With IC engines lower power and price usually ends up as higher mileage in 30 - 40+ mpg variety.

Seems counter intuitive to limit range over HP output for more money.

I would think that lower HP would conserve battery and result in longer range.

Hey I'm not a millenial and don't get the thinking which ends up with weird but sometimes entertaining results from same hardware and the FACT someone can fiddle with your automobile without explicit permission.

None my vehicles have "onstar" or other versions that type system for that very reason.

Thought it was crazy seeing news item recently declaring refrigerators and coffee makers a potential national security threat due hacking.

Having grown up in pre-Internet days I'm seeing little real improvement and much downside to computer/software everything.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Ummm...why would an electric car company purposely undersell it's battery performance/range...?

There has to be more to this issue than charging an extra $9,000.00 for a software upgrade...

These are Lithium Ion batteries...you dramatically shorten the life of a lion battery if you totally deplete it...I imagine some of this has to do with making sure these batteries have enough extra cushion...in order to extend the life of the battery pack as long as possible...

I'm also curious if that hefty price tag has more to do with offsetting the cost of replacing the battery packs due to a shortened life span due to depleting beyond that safety cushion...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Probably just the new normal where no one really owns anything. My daughter has been given the opportunity to buy a house from her employer at a 10% discount. Heard my wife and her discussing it and the daughter said "well at least I'll be owning the house instead of renting". I thought, "no honey, you'll be owning a mortgage, paying rent to a bank". But I didn't say anything.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You are still ignoring that the cable company pays for the content of their broadcasts.
For every subscription they have for HBO, they pay HBO a set price.
If a customer doesn't buy the HBO upgrade, the cable company does not pay HBO.

More content costs more money so they pass on the price to the customer.

The battery in this car is a set cost. No matter the output, it does not cost tesla one extra penny. They are just raising the price for nothing but profit.

Tesla didn't pay for the battery in their car? They don't pay for the software development necessary to power the car? These are real costs incurred by the company.

As someone else stated, it would probably cost way more than $6k to manufacturer a totally different lower capacity battery than to just use one battery and reduce capacity with software for customers who don't want to pay the premium for higher performance/range.

I am not getting why this is such an issue. If someone doesn't want to pay $120k or whatever a p100d costs but they are willing to pay $75k for a base model that accelerates slower and has less range, why would anyone care that the two models share the same battery? One guy wants full performance and the other doesn't. The price of the car reflects this differentiation. Why does it matter that it is software that is used to change the performance of the car?

I'd be happy that you even have that option to upgrade. I bought a Integra GS when I got out of college. After having the car, I really decided I wanted a GS-R. However, I'd have to basically buy an entirely new car. I'd would have killed to just be able to say pay $5k to have the car unlocked.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

I know how manufacturing works, I've worked in the business for most of my life.
One battery makes sense obviously.

But holding the output down for ransom feels wrong to me.
If a big pharmaceutical held back the full dosage of a drug until you paid extra, people would be upset.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I would be a little pissed to find out that I paid 6k for a software tweek.
But my biggest problem was the other scenarios I mentioned.

There is a real cost associated with the battery. From Tesla's stand point it is cheaper and more efficient to use one battery.

If a purchaser wants to get full range, they have to pay the premium. However, those who may not need the full range, will not pay the premium, so Tesla can offer them a cheaper car but limit access to range wihtout incurring the cost associated with offering a different battery pack.

Electric cars are not like gas engines. It is just a "software tweek" that also unleashes full acceleration. The slowest Tesla's do 0-60 in like 5.5 seconds. You flip a switch and it will do 0-60 in like 2.8 seconds. However, you'd have to pay like $40k premium to get that access between the base model and the p100d. However, it is all the same hardware.

perhaps.

or perhaps they've decided to nuke the built-in safety protecting the battery from loosing capacity, in order to save lives. those batteries shouldn't be discharged completely, because it would damage them - it's the same story with batteries in smartphones for example.

i would wait for public statement from Tesla/Musk before starting the witchhunt, i wouldn't be surprised if they've decided that covering the cost of those batteries is worth it for the sake of their customers.

also, imagine the positive PR they can get out of it, if true.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The last line of the paragraph you highlighted says the battery is a set cost.
Never once have I suggested they should have more than one battery option.

Full output of this battery costs tesla absolutely nothing.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy
Well they may have just allowed the batteries to discharge to a deeper level than what they normally would because it's not good to discharge a battery too deeply too often so they probably just allowed it for this one time

They are ok with discharging the car battery as long as you pay them thousands of dollars extra for the convenience.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
How were they caught when they told everyone about this when the cars came out? You act like it's been some secret.

The dealership even tells you not to charge it to 100% because it will degrade your battery.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I don't understand why this is an issue? Electric cars are not like gas engines. You can get more or less power simply from a software change. It makes zero sense to have two or three different battery packs from a manufacturing stand point when you can adjust range with software.

Telsa increased range of vehicles that had not paid for the increased range to be a good corporate citizen. These owners were trying to evacuate a natural disaster, so they did it to help them go further.

The only thing nefarious about this is that it shows that consumers can lose control over their cars to an unknown entity. I can think of all kinds of conspiracy scenarios where your car is turned off without your permission or other issues, but that is an entirely different topic.

It is possible that Tesla has limiting in place to keep their batteries healthy over the long haul. The people who paid more for their vehicles might have a better battery warranty or something to go along with the increased mileage output.

As for giving the extra range to those who needed to evacuate, I think that was a smart business move. Can you imagine the news if the car owners were complaining of electrical outages or that their car just stopped at the most inopportune time, perhaps blocking many others on a busy causeway or something?

They should have announced that they were going to update owners in xxxxx zipcode with a software change that will help yield the best possible mileage during this crisis and the revert them back when things are back to normal to conserve battery longevity.

Overall, I don't see anything wrong with their actions.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Those are all different motors are they not? 3 series 2.5liter 3 series 3.0liter. 3 series 3.0 turbo... all are straight 6's but they are not the same motor. At least that was always my undrstanding of bmw and reinforced by looking on the web as i wrote this. example 325i first number is series, second two numbers engine displacment.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

A yukon is a denalli is it not? That was my understanding.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
How were they caught when they told everyone about this when the cars came out? You act like it's been some secret.

The dealership even tells you not to charge it to 100% because it will degrade your battery.

Tesla doesn't have dealerships.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I'm going to have to go with the old man shaking his fist on this one...

that base model doesn't cost any less to produce than the higher model.
the higher model doesn't cost any more to produce than the base model.

They're the exact same piece of hardware, they should have the same price tag. It doesn't cost them an extra cent to unlock the full potential of the vehicle- hell, they can do it over the air, apparently.

Comparing this to the cable company offering different channel packages doesn't make sense. In that case, you're paying more to get more service. Hardware isn't a service- a battery isn't a service. I wouldn't buy a flashlight that wanted me to swipe my credit card to keep shining when it clearly has power left.

I feel like this would be a good time for a competitor to step in, selling a very similar platform with the performance of the higher model but the price tag of the base model.

As for those remarking on how cars got better mileage in the 80's... I'm with you. I used to get 46mpg in my honda. Now with all this fancy new technology, the cars they sell are twice the weight, half the ruggedness, and at best get similar gas efficiency. What a bummer.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Did you have a two seater crx hf? With a 58hp motor? No power steering optional ac

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join