It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Major Celto-Scythian Settlement and Burial Complex from the Mátra Mountains in NE Hungary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   
A Major Celto-Scythian Settlement and Burial Complex from the Mátra Mountains in north-eastern Hungary

A further interesting feature of the site is the fact that archaeological material from the settlement and burial complex, particularly pottery, represent both Celtic and Scythian traditions.

Discovered in the foothills of the Mátra Mountains in northeastern Hungary in 2015-2016, the bi-ritual burial complex at Gyöngyös is one of the largest and most important Iron Age sites in the region and has provided fascinating new information on Celtic (and Scythian) settlement in this part of Europe.

The burial site has yielded 154 burials from the La Tène period, and has parallels in other Celtic complexes in northern Hungary such as those at Mátraszolos, Sajópetri or Ludas, the latter being situated a few kilometers west of Gyöngyös (Szabó, Tankó 2006, 2012). Previous research at the site in 2003 had uncovered evidence of a Celtic settlement, dating to the same period (late 4th – early 2nd c. BC), close to the burial complex.
Source

Apparently a lot of who and later who the descendants of the Scythians are said to be shrouded in mystery though there have been many links to each. Will let the experts weigh into that as I thought this was interesting.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I have always had a warm spot in my heart for the Scythian's ever since I read a book (over 50 years ago) about how they kicked Rome's butt.. Rome ended up hiring them as mercs. Great horsemen and great archers if I remember correctly.
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Ties in nicely with a major new exhibition at the British Museum:

Scythians: warriors of ancient Siberia

Plan to sort tickets this weekend - looking forward to it.

posted on Sep, 14 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: FatherLukeDuke
Ties in nicely with a major new exhibition at the British Museum:

Scythians: warriors of ancient Siberia

Plan to sort tickets this weekend - looking forward to it.

Cool, thanks for sharing. That may make for a fun thread about the visit to it.

top topics

join