It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what about fixing the star system on ATS

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Get rid of the system altogether.
And I promis. The AboveTopSecret.com will become a a better and honest site.

For me it is obvious the star system leads always to some kind of manipulation because it's not ACCURATE.

Stars , Likes , + friends , klupco's, watchers or whatever are currency for site owners to manipulate their visitors.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

There are several quirky aspects of ATS that I don't like. The inability to copy/paste a photo is a big one.

BUT...since this forum is FREE and I learn a lot, the quirks are overlooked. You have to weigh the pros against the cons, then decide if you want to continue.

The ATS "star" issue has been raised by other members over the past couple of years. Apparently the owners have bigger things to be concerned with.

So you're saying that new members are affected somehow by the number of stars existing members have? How so? Are they motivated to earn a gajillion themselves, or see posts from members like me as being god-inspired, or intimidating??? To quote Spock... "FASCINATING!"

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: SolAquarius

originally posted by: frenchfries
Just a question some members have 40mijlon stars how come ?
Is this a bug or so ? Or is it possible to buy stars ?

You can't buy stars, but you can name them.
www.star-registration.com...

What??!!
I Just spent my entire life savings on a deed promising me full ownership of Sirius A and B.

If the company is in America, there are consumer protections which guarantee a refund. But you must act quickly!

Thanks. I already know about getting stars named. I was just being silly by playing the role of a gullible fool who had been bilked out of his savings by some sort of con man that promised him ownership of the stars. Like someone conning a person into ownership of the Brooklyn Bridge.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:03 AM
link   

For me it is obvious the star system leads always to some kind of manipulation because it's not ACCURATE.

It's obvious through your obsession with stars, that for you, content is of secondary importance.

edit on 9/13/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:06 AM
link   

You're a Global dominator yes funny again...

Tell me should in your opinion the star system be abolished ? I mean influencing the masses is a subtle process. Stars are just a tool aren't they ? You should know how social/media is manipulating the hell out of people with likes/views/+ e.d.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Tell me should in your opinion the star system be abolished ?
I couldn't give a flying french fry.

You should know how social/media is manipulating the hell out of people with likes/views/+ e.d.
No. I don't do social media. Except for ATS once in a while. Actually, I started noticing a decline in the quality of content when that crap started dominating ATS. And I've repeatedly said so. Stars have nothing to do with it.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:08 AM
link   
i only care how many stars i have, piss on everyone else's

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: frenchfries
Just a question some members have 40mijlon stars how come ?
Is this a bug or so ? Or is it possible to buy stars ?

You can't buy stars, but you can name them.
www.star-registration.com...

What??!!
I Just spent my entire life savings on a deed promising me full ownership of Sirius A and B.

If the company is in America, there are consumer protections which guarantee a refund. But you must act quickly!

Thanks. I already know about getting stars named. I was just being silly by playing the role of a gullible fool who had been bilked out of his savings by some sort of con man that promised him ownership of the stars. Like someone conning a person into ownership of the Brooklyn Bridge.

You're a damn good actor! ***** Five stars 4 you bro!

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The very forum we are posting in is a perfect example of what ATS would be like without Stars.

We could keep flags to draw attention to threads but the star system is unnecessary.

From what I understand the star system was intended to have some purpose in the ancient days of ATS but over time it has lost its relevance and purpose.

So why not scrap it.

Heck Maybe do a test week to see what it's like without stars on here and have the community vote at the end of the week.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
i only care how many stars i have, piss on everyone else's

Now this is strange.. I was going to give you a star, but this thread doesn't allow it. Maybe ATS IS in the process of eliminating the star system. FrenchFries got through to the owners! He is indeed powerful.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:14 AM
link   

You're a damn good actor! ***** Five stars 4 you bro!

See here is an alternative way to give stars if people are really into it.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: SolAquarius

Heck Maybe do a test week to see what it's like without stars on here and have the community vote at the end of the week.

You seem to be under the impression that ATS is a democracy. It isn't. It's an enterprise.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   

I don't have an Obsession with stars dude (!) it's part of ATS. (and you're longer on ATS than I hmmm.... obsessed) The point is that the view on ATS is distorted by a faulty system and no-one seems to care. You will not understand the main point here. Faulty = FIX it.

If not I'm starting to wonder if starsystem is broken to control the general opinion. If that's the case than it leads me to the conclusion that this site is owned.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:18 AM
link   

If that's the case than it leads me to the conclusion that this site is owned.

It is, indeed. By the "Three Amigos."
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.whois.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   

As I recall, the "old" ATS (pre-2012 or so) had various features, like chat rooms, video interaction, broadcasts, and other bells and whistles. You got a discount, or were able to access them for free, depending on how many stars, flags, and award cups you had. The lightning bolts offset those positive items. It was something like 1 lightning bolt wiped out 100 stars.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

2012?

Whoa!

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:24 AM
link   

As I recall, the "old" ATS (pre-2012 or so) had various features, like chat rooms, video interaction, broadcasts, and other bells and whistles. You got a discount, or were able to access them for free, depending on how many stars, flags, and award cups you had. The lightning bolts offset those positive items. It was something like 1 lightning bolt wiped out 100 stars.

Yeah and generally the response now from mods and other experts on here is that it all meaningless now.
probably seemed like a good system at the time but over the years became impractical.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Ridding ATS of stars would indeed get rid of the rubbish one liners people type.

However, I do like my stars, which I have gained by typing things like "Obama rules" or "All Muslims must die" etc etc

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Owned v. owned, 0wned, pwned, 0wn3d, pwn3d, own3d. v. tr. To be made a fool of; To make a fool of; To confound or prove wrong; embarrasing someone: Being embarrased.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: and14263

Well yes... it would make ATS 'cleaner' more honest and people wouldn't have prejudice. On the downside stars are a way to statistically influence opinion people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join