It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Font problems in Windows 10 after changing the default font. FIX

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:03 AM
link   
BEWARE changing the default font in Windows 10. It may mess with many applications.

I changed the font and had huge problems with menu titles, etc no longer showing up in many apps such as Adobe and Steinberg Cubase. The bars would just be blank and the sub titles and menus, too.

I faffed around and managed to find a reg edit code that works to restore the Segoe default font. This cured everything.

You have to do a reg edit. It can be done by creating a reg file in notepad. The font restore function in Windows was not giving me an option to restore the default font in the font settings.

Open notepad.

Enter following text:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Restores default system font setting (to Segoe UI) in Windows 8 and Windows 10

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionFonts]
"Segoe UI (TrueType)"="segoeui.ttf"
"Segoe UI Black (TrueType)"="seguibl.ttf"
"Segoe UI Black Italic (TrueType)"="seguibli.ttf"
"Segoe UI Bold (TrueType)"="segoeuib.ttf"
"Segoe UI Bold Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuiz.ttf"
"Segoe UI Emoji (TrueType)"="seguiemj.ttf"
"Segoe UI Historic (TrueType)"="seguihis.ttf"
"Segoe UI Italic (TrueType)"="segoeuii.ttf"
"Segoe UI Light (TrueType)"="segoeuil.ttf"
"Segoe UI Light Italic (TrueType)"="seguili.ttf"
"Segoe UI Semibold (TrueType)"="seguisb.ttf"
"Segoe UI Semibold Italic (TrueType)"="seguisbi.ttf"
"Segoe UI Semilight (TrueType)"="segoeuisl.ttf"
"Segoe UI Semilight Italic (TrueType)"="seguisli.ttf"
"Segoe UI Symbol (TrueType)"="seguisym.ttf"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionFontSubstitutes]
"Segoe UI"=-

Save the file as a .REG file (have to click on all files option).

Once saved then double click the file to enter the registry entry.

This restored all my fonts.

The moral of the story is don't change fonts in windows as many apps will not support the new font choice.

Machine "intelligence", lol.

edit on 12-9-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Are you an Insider ? That was a known bug with a specific preview edition.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Lol, no. I had to look for days to find this. Research does pay off in the end. I have had so many problems setting up my new machine. I am very experienced, but all the configuring is getting so complex now. It is not at all user friendly. It hurt my brain a lot.

It's been crazy. Two nights without sleep and a whole five days just to set up a music machine.

I am very impressed with myself. I got through every single problem myself. I did ask help, but the software tech support are useless with customer services. They take days to reply. Very happy to charge us a fortune for their software, but act like arrogant twits when you need their help. I just got on and did the searching. Though a very unpleasant experience I have learned heaps along the way this last week, a huge learning curve.

I had less problems when I was a pirate. I have managed to make my music machine 100% legit now. I have spent thousands on software over the years.

My brain is too fried now to make any music for a while, lol.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Microcrap Winfails.
Use Linux.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daalder
Microcrap Winfails.
Use Linux.

I wish I could, but a lot of the software will not carry over to that. It is all Windows and MAC. It seems to get more of a nightmare every time I move machines. I knew it would be hard this time. I was putting myself off doing it, but in the end I needed the power so had to do it.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9
Which is good. I started , well some time ago
on my own
The best way is on your own. Make a friend of a "geek" as well . Cheetos still work. Or keep Google handy.
I have tried every single OS known (and then some) from AIX through OS/2 , DOS , Windows , every flavor of Linux and I still keep coming back to Windows
Microsoft finally got it right. I am in the Windows 10 Insider (Creator) program and it keeps getting better. Cant wait for the release next month

Caution though . You may wind up suffering work at home in your PJs for a major corporation while making plenty of money

edit on 9/12/17 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Great, well it's good to meet you.

Lol, are you volunteering? Too late now, you will have to be that ATS Geek for me from now on.

Just pulling your leg. I think that's cool you are on the inside there. It must be a very interesting world. Thanks for the heads up on the coming release. I will be looking for that.

I do love the Windows. I have used it for 17 years now. I know it was a coincidence, but you know when I switched my new PC on and connected to the internet for the first ever time there was a clap of thunder. I am not joking. It freaked me and my mates right out. We were in a flat we were sharing near the Malvern Hills, near Wales UK. The Hills were the natural border once between England and Wales. It tells me that this thing is sooo evolutionarily BIG for our world. Nature meant this to happen. It is a way for a lot of people to live on and logistically manage a planet of limited resources. We can cut down materially for a while and get into the virtual stream. My studio is a great example. It would have taken many hundreds of thousands of $ and a huge amount of hardware. Now all it is is a few boxes, speakers and a keyboard or two. It is unbelievable what code has enabled me to achieve musically. I still keep blinking my eyes. I just can't get used to it. I never believed I would get to do this. Soooo made up! With the new system I am shaking with excitement as this is the most powerful studio I have had. I did it on the cheap with an ex corporate machine (HP). My studio exists just as electronic code. It is amazing. This Digital Sorcery is the beginning of something HUGE for us humans.

I actually can't work normally. If I could work at home with the PC doing something with the PC to make my living I could do it. I have enormous concentration powers now. Long hours on music projects gave me super strength that way. I can go 24 hours solid work and be annoyed by the fact that the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, lol. It is a shame that in society we can't organize ourselves properly. I could have been a very very good asset for a software company and very loyal, too. Instead they just throw people like me away with a survivalist's sum to live a poor and alienated life. A life of working nights, being master of my time and typing away in pyjamas would be a blissful opportunity.

I wish we could move quickly. We in the West need a huge shake up. We have every means now to launch ourselves into a modern society, but we have to get it right. It is sooo exciting.

Happy coding! It is a pleasure to meet you.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:18 AM
link   

That was a known issue in the pre-issued 10 as suggested. Mine updated from 7 automatically to 10 in beg.. and am able to switch back and forth without issues. *

*PS: switching fonts does affect other programs, but does revert when swiched back. Thanks for the head's up

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   
Try yomping in the Breacon beacons for 15 days if you can without a screen.

Life is then wonderful and you will appreciate toilet roll and the simple things...

Sorry for the above if you have a handicap and cannot.

Warmest

Lags

originally posted by: Revolution9

Great, well it's good to meet you.

Lol, are you volunteering? Too late now, you will have to be that ATS Geek for me from now on.

Just pulling your leg. I think that's cool you are on the inside there. It must be a very interesting world. Thanks for the heads up on the coming release. I will be looking for that.

I do love the Windows. I have used it for 17 years now. I know it was a coincidence, but you know when I switched my new PC on and connected to the internet for the first ever time there was a clap of thunder. I am not joking. It freaked me and my mates right out. We were in a flat we were sharing near the Malvern Hills, near Wales UK. The Hills were the natural border once between England and Wales. It tells me that this thing is sooo evolutionarily BIG for our world. Nature meant this to happen. It is a way for a lot of people to live on and logistically manage a planet of limited resources. We can cut down materially for a while and get into the virtual stream. My studio is a great example. It would have taken many hundreds of thousands of $ and a huge amount of hardware. Now all it is is a few boxes, speakers and a keyboard or two. It is unbelievable what code has enabled me to achieve musically. I still keep blinking my eyes. I just can't get used to it. I never believed I would get to do this. Soooo made up! With the new system I am shaking with excitement as this is the most powerful studio I have had. I did it on the cheap with an ex corporate machine (HP). My studio exists just as electronic code. It is amazing. This Digital Sorcery is the beginning of something HUGE for us humans.

I actually can't work normally. If I could work at home with the PC doing something with the PC to make my living I could do it. I have enormous concentration powers now. Long hours on music projects gave me super strength that way. I can go 24 hours solid work and be annoyed by the fact that the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak, lol. It is a shame that in society we can't organize ourselves properly. I could have been a very very good asset for a software company and very loyal, too. Instead they just throw people like me away with a survivalist's sum to live a poor and alienated life. A life of working nights, being master of my time and typing away in pyjamas would be a blissful opportunity.

I wish we could move quickly. We in the West need a huge shake up. We have every means now to launch ourselves into a modern society, but we have to get it right. It is sooo exciting.

Happy coding! It is a pleasure to meet you.

edit on 12-9-2017 by Lagomorphe because: Crap

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Find alternatives for any software.
It's worth the hassle.
Especially since the latest Linux Mint version only takes about half an hour to setup.
End your frustrating nightmare and stop working for Microsoft.
Because that's what you are doing.
Your computer is not working for you and you are working for your computer.
In Linux the computer works for you.
...and there realy isn't any user based software that hasn't got a perfect Linux alternative.
And the realy good software has a Linux version.
If not: your being bamboozled into using Windows or crapple.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I did this too, op. Thought it would be cool with a different font. But also got missing text on menus and titles.
Oh, and I use Cubase too! What music do you make? I do goatrance.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Daalder

LOL Linux is terrible for everything that I do and Windows 10 is excellent for everything I do. So please enlighten me why I should change.

1. No Photoshop. Gimp sucks.
2. No Sony Vegas. Alternative is a joke
3. No Cubase. Alternative is a joke.
4. Terrible gaming and most titles not supported.
5. No gsync support (doesn't matter anyway since I can't even play most games to begin with)
6. Terrible support for 144hz monitors, as the X window system only displays 60 fps (there might be a fix for this I'm sure)

I could go on.

And don't even get me started on the "computer not working for you" bullcrap.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

originally posted by: Daalder
Microcrap Winfails.
Use Linux.

I wish I could, but a lot of the software will not carry over to that. It is all Windows and MAC. It seems to get more of a nightmare every time I move machines. I knew it would be hard this time. I was putting myself off doing it, but in the end I needed the power so had to do it.

Check out the JACK audio connection kit. I make all my music on linux using open source software now. JACK allows you to output audio from any program to any other program easily. There are a lot of great modular programs for specific tasks that can all be routed together any way you want.

I usually use Hydrogen for drum sequencing,
Muse or Rosegarden for midi sequencing Ardour for recording and mixing and Jamin for mastering. Along with tons of instruments and plugins. All my windows vsts work using Festige and can be routed using JACK the same as any native plugins. My soundcards and hardware work no problem, even my ancient digitech rp350 is recognized and works with direct usb recording which I always had trouble with on windows.

If you're ever interested in trying linux for music production I recommend KxStudio you can have it up and running in about an hour and can even set it up in something like virtualbox just to try without actually installing the system on your computer.

Since switching I've never thought about going back to windows. JACK alone was reason enough to stay. It lets you do all sorts of cool things you can't do using some kind of all in one audio production software.

edit on 12/9/2017 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/9/2017 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2018 @ 11:28 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

join