It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the problem that we are forgetting half the heros???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: shooterbrody
a reply to: Gryphon66

yeah forget about all those who put the bill on johnsons desk as well....one indeed

List them out, bud.

That's the point of the thread.

Interesting point, indeed. I found it interesting to look back in history at the actual bill voting through the Senate and House of representatives. Yes, there were many more heroes involved to get that onto Johnson's desk.

Gov.track site source
edit on 9 12 2017 by CynConcepts because: Spelling error

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts

originally posted by: shooterbrody

yeah forget about all those who put the bill on johnsons desk as well....one indeed

List them out, bud.

That's the point of the thread.

Interesting point, indeed. I found it interesting to look back in history at the actual bill voting through the Senate and House of representatives. Yes, there were many more heroes involved to get that onto Johnson's desk.

Gov.track site source

The OP has a great idea.

Civil Rights should concern all of us, regardless of race.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a little education on colors.....

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Half the pictures are white..

www.splcenter.org...

Here is a list of Those killed who became civil rights symbols..

Just in a cursory glance. The majority who knowingly took a risk by being an activist might be white..

There are a lot of black children who were "civilian" witnesses..
edit on 12-9-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

I think they were ignored by their own wishes...

I think it was considered to be more important to have figure heads that empowered the oppressed people.

I think even in cases where the most important figure was white. That person decided to put the spotlight on what they considered the best face for the movement.

And I think the short term gains were more than measurable and I think it is far more likely that the narrative was just never changed.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

I think they were ignored by their own wishes...

I'm not sure which "they" you are referring to, but of course!!! The "they" that belong to the PTB who milked the situation for more power and control... the "they" that had/have no real power who want to hate (and hurt) those they think are their oppressors... the "they" that lost privileges and power who want to hate (and hurt) those who they think took away their privileges (or something)... Lots of "theys" in there who were quite happy to ignore the truth for their self-serving agendas, fears, etc. Until it gets to the point that folks want to take down a statue because the man bought slaves... completely and willfully ignorant that he was an abolitionist who bought slaves in order to free them.

I think it was considered to be more important to have figure heads that empowered the oppressed people.

There is nothing empowering about treating the oppressed like mushrooms.... not for the oppressed anyway. Knowledge is power, and the ones denying, obfuscating, and withholding the truth for their hateful and hurtful lies are the ones empowered to further tyranny and oppression. Hence, today, true heroes are scorned and the power pimps are lauded.

I think even in cases where the most important figure was white.

Especially when the most important was White -- and was truly the noble and honorable one. The power pimps can't have the oppressed see real actions and solutions that really empower the oppressed.

That person decided to put the spotlight on what they considered the best face for the movement.

"Best" is subjective. Your "best" face is not necessarily my "best" face... it all depends on our intentions and motivations...

And I think the short term gains were more than measurable and I think it is far more likely that the narrative was just never changed.

Measurable? That's an odd word to use. The emancipation proclamation certainly provided gains for the slaves... but keeping the promise of 40 acres and a mule would have provided much MUCH greater gains. The Civil Rights Act certainly provided some gains for minorities, but far more for the PTB who went from using the color of law (and the barrel of a gun) to tell people who they cannot serve to telling them who they MUST serve.

And where has it gotten us today? Well, we've got folks who really and truly believe that all White people are racist and all White people are privileged... and instead of raising ALL PEOPLE to that level, their solution is take down ALL PEOPLE to the oppressed level.

There are real and genuine means for empowering people... this ain't it.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

BWAHAHAHA..

1) Yea because the first white to speak out about such things were looked at well by their peers....(sarcasm..)

The whites/males who championed civil rights or sufferage were horribly persecuted.. any political benefit would have come AFTER civil rights was enacted. There would have ONLY been negatives for them in speaking out in the early stages..

2) how is choosing an oppressed person hiding them in the dark like mushrooms... the white leaders who chose not to be the figure head would be the one hiding themselves...

that literally makes zero sense.. using them as mushrooms would be using white figureheads when the most imortant person was black (for example..)

3) you say one like only one person was benevolent and EVERYONE else was power moungers.. which is ridiculous..

And it did have beneficial effects.. women and minorities can vote, segregation ended, exc, exc , exc...

4) best is subjective.. that's why I didn't say that was the best decision to make.. I said the bigwig would have THOUGHT it was best.. and I think the short term benefits

5) progress is progress .. there is no such thing as perfect progress..

That was the most partisan shill post I've read today...

No original thought of cognitive thinking.. just parroting right wing demagogues..

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 10:56 AM
link   

a reply to: Asktheanimals

(Really, there's no need to trash the names of victims like Martin and Brown to make your point.)

The courts disagree with your victim narrative.

How was I trashing their names?

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

I have found that most of the events that became centerpieces of the various civil rights movements were not really accurate.. or atleast are hotly debated..

The gay kid tortured to death that led to hate crime legislation , may have been over meth. Not him being gay..

The picture of the black kid being attacked by a police dog, didn't go down that way..

And others..

That said , even if the case that gained the national spotlight. Ring inaccurate. Doesn't mean the issue it was used to address was not valid..

Even if the gay kid wasn't tortured because he was gay, does that mean gays were not being discriminated against and beaten up in allies???

No..

Even if the picture of the dog biting the kid was a lie, does that mean that blacks didn't deserve equality???

Absolutely not..

And I'm Wouldn't be surprised if that same theme effects EVERY aspect of history and progress..

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

You so funny. Couldn't actually quote me and put everything in context, eh? Wouldn't have served the agenda I guess. But I'll still play.

1) Yea because the first white to speak out about such things were looked at well by their peers....(sarcasm..)

WTH? There were always White people speaking out against slavery. ALWAYS. And there were ALWAYS other White people who said nothing but were silently against slavery. And there were ALWAYS those White people who demanded slavery.

The whites/males who championed civil rights or sufferage were horribly persecuted.. any political benefit would have come AFTER civil rights was enacted. There would have ONLY been negatives for them in speaking out in the early stages.

And yet, so many did anyway. All the more reason for those people to celebrated, honored and REMEMBERED!!!

Especially those who actually walked their talk, like the Freedom Riders.

2) how is choosing an oppressed person hiding them in the dark like mushrooms...

That doesn't make sense. Choosing an oppressed person for what? To honor and celebrate? By all means!!! But it isn't an either/or situation. We can recognize and honor anyone and everyone that deserves it. And we should.

To clarify, in case I wasn't clear enough, ignoring and denying the contributions of White people is the "treating them like mushrooms" part -- in other words, keeping people in the dark about the truth and feeding them crap. No one accomplished anything alone, and no one race accomplished everything themselves. It was always -- ALWAYS -- a team effort.

Instead we're all now being told that all White people are necessarily racist and that we're all the enemy -- and many many people believe it! That's only possible because the efforts of White people have been ignored and denied.

the white leaders who chose not to be the figure head would be the one hiding themselves...

Huh??? So Lafayette was "hiding himself" these last 200+ years? It wasn't the victors writing the history after he was dead and gone who were "hiding him"???

True leaders never toot their own horn -- the promote the cause, not themselves. But we're not talking about just the living.

that literally makes zero sense.. using them as mushrooms would be using white figureheads when the most imortant person was black (for example..)

3) you say one like only one person was benevolent and EVERYONE else was power moungers.. which is ridiculous..

No, I didn't... but it's instructive that is how you read it.

And it did have beneficial effects.. women and minorities can vote, segregation ended, exc, exc , exc...

I never said it didn't have some beneficial effects... of course they threw the little people some scraps. I just pointed out the greater political benefit for the PTB -- and the adverse effects for the rest of us -- as well, which you don't seem to want to acknowledge. Hmmmm....

5) progress is progress .. there is no such thing as perfect progress..

Yeah, well, two steps forward and one step back might be considered progress, but it does untold damage in the process. Kinda like "Well, I only beat you and raped you, I didn't kill you."

That was the most partisan shill post I've read today...

No original thought of cognitive thinking.. just parroting right wing demagogues..

Hahaha! Okay

posted on Sep, 30 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Yes I think you are on the right track. I'm having issues with my phone so cannot type much but a few things...

I once heard the real reason mlk jr was killed was he planned on fighting for civil rights for everyone, including poor whites, uniting us against the establishment.

Also, i get the idea that black people look at any white person in America and assume that persons family benefited directly from slavery, and, well, i wonder, how true that is. I have no knowledge of my father at all and my mother is dead, so, its too late to fish That pond for clues. But I can say my mothers side has no slavery in their family. They imigrated here in 1855 to a northern state, Minnesota (later North Dakota and then Washington where I am now, so, we are about as Northern as you could get) and had a small farm they worked themselves, females included, and some more imigrated in the 1950s.

I'm just really curious now...we know a ton of people came in the early 1900s, the "statue of liberty era", and they had nothing to do with slavery... So, what percentage of whites here today had anything to do with the most heinous greivance/grudge on the list- slavery? This is a wild guess, but, I'm guessing you'll see a much higher density of slave owners among the wealthy, elite, celebrities, etc. with a very very low percentage rate amongst the working class.

Eta- yes i already know, you dont have to tell me, i still benefit from the system because of my skin color. Trust me, i can just feel the blessings and love raining down upon me everywhere I go...

edit on 9/30/2017 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join