It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generation Z skips University in order to start their own business

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The generation after Millennials, Generation Z are now skipping college in favor of starting their own business because they don't want to take out loans and have a massive debt.

Gen Z is choosing more often than previous generations to forego a formal education and instead start their own businesses, but why? Starting your own business is certainly more appealing than working a low level job right out of high school, and Gen Z has watched many famous entrepreneurs go this route with great success. But probably the most compelling factor for this shift is watching the Millennials rack up massive college debt burdens and be unable to find jobs to cover their living expenses and their college debt together. Gen Z, in short, is looking for a better way.

The cost of a college education has skyrocketed in the last few decades. Since 1978 the cost of college tuition has increased more than 150%, while the average household income of the families sending their kids off to college has grown only 20%. The cost of living is way up and wages are way down, and Millennials are finding themselves living with their parents much longer than other recent generations have. Gen Z has taken note and is avoiding being saddled with enormous college debt at all costs.

Also, Generation Z prefer online courses because it's cheaper.

There are alternatives to college when you are wanting to learn but unwilling to take on a college debt load. E learning has become a huge industry - by 2025 it is projected to be a $325 billion global industry, and by 2020 Gen Z is expected to make up 20% of e learning customers. Counted among these e learning opportunities are several programs aimed at helping young entrepreneurs, such as The Network For Teaching Entrepreneurship, The Thiel Fellowship, and TE Global.

www.valuewalk.com...

While debt is a big factor, I believe other factors include the rise of the SJW movement and Radical Leftists dominating Academia.

I'm pretty sure many Generation Zers refused to go to college because of the following:

SJWs demand no homework:

College students proclaiming their love for communist countries and tells a former Soviet citizen that he deserves to go to a gulag for criticizing communism:

Radical Feminist college student interrupting Conservative Speakers in a disrespectful manner:

SJW screaming because of Milo Yiannopoulos speaking in her campus:

After seeing incidents such as the ones in the video, I'm pretty sure Generation Z don't want to end up like Millennials and saw that Academia are nothing but indoctrination centers for the radical left.
edit on 9/11/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   
It's no small wonder considering all the factors you pointed out with articles and vids of what campus life can be like nowadays. I think more classes at the college level should be offered online. I could never understand how some students learned in lecture halls with 300 plus students and a half drunk prof garbling into the blackboard. ( It happens )

The time it takes to get to school ,park, get to your individual classes , could far be better used in concentrating on good teaching methods online , with more time to study.

E college is the way to go , in my opinion, for a variety of reasons ... convenience and quality of teaching being two of them.
edit on 11-9-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye

Plus you don't have to deal with Radical Leftist Professors shoving their ideas down your throat.

You know in my college, one time I was passing by a professor's office and saw he has the Antifa flag hanging around there.

I gotta admit, people like the professor I mentioned makes it dangerous to speak out against the Radical Left's domination of Academia.

I know one professor who told me he will lose his job if he talks openly about how the Liberal Coastal Elite dominates Academia.

Another professor told me his employment will be terminated if he criticized Radical Islam.
edit on 9/11/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Generation Z. No. I grew up on the Z fighters and this new generation is definitely not Z. Y is more like it. Generation Y.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Sheye

Plus you don't have to deal with Radical Leftists Professor shoving their ideas down your throat.

Actually in my college, one time I was passing by a professor's office and saw he has the Antifa flag hanging around there.

I gotta admit, people like the professor I mentioned makes it dangerous to speak out against the the Leftist's domination of Academia.

I know one professor who told me he will lose his job if he talks openly about how the Liberal Coastal Elite dominates Academia.

Another professor told me his employment will be terminated if he criticize Radical Islam.

Things are becoming far too political , and nasty... and that does not make for a good teaching or learning environment .
Who want to pay such high tuitions for such headaches. How can those students be concentrating on what they are supposed to be learning, when they are running around trying to save nothing from the boogie man.

Bloody ridiculous how some campuses are 😕
edit on 11-9-2017 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Keep in mind that "business owners" include freelancers that create an llc. I've done the gig economy thing a bit and I've "owned" about four businesses even though all I've done is advertise my own skills (web, craft, etc).

And a lot of those folk (again, guilty) do go to college, can't pay their debts with the resulting credentials, and still have to go into business on their own... all without the need of any of those certificates.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConscienceZombie
Generation Z. No. I grew up on the Z fighters and this new generation is definitely not Z. Y is more like it. Generation Y.

Generation Y is the Millennial Generation.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
And I thought the young were getting dumber, they can see the writing on the wall I guess. We need to train more people in the trades and make it more possible for people to start small businesses. Don't throw a bunch of money at them, require good business perspectives and estimated revenues that are real. I liked society forty years ago better when stores dotted the towns, you could walk two blocks to get to a supermarket and every town had one hardware and a lumberyard in it. Sometimes even two. There were lots of great ma and pa restaurants out there too, now it is mostly commercial ones with no homemade anything. The American dream died.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

I was trying to save us by stalling. What's after Z?...Nothing...that's it...now we are out of letters. Good bye world.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

I was trying to save us by stalling. What's after Z?...Nothing...that's it...now we are out of letters. Good bye world.

Well following mathematical convention, "Z" is followed by "AA". Which is what we'll all need by 2020.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Sadly trades is not an option in places like California.

Most high paying jobs here are IT and movie industry and those jobs are very hard to get to.

For other jobs, you need a degree and plus you have to know people.

This is one of the many reasons why a lot of people want to move out California.

Also, in California cities like LA, in order to live there either you have to get a high paying job, live with a room mate or live with your parents.

I have plans to move out of state. Any suggestions on what state I should move to?
edit on 9/12/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Oh crap! We've run out of alphabet! I hate it, when that happens!

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm assuming, Gen Y? Is the Queers? Because I haven't heard much about them. Other than they "think" they can actually marry, each other, and make a "family"... Which is not "scientifically" possible. ....But really? We've run out of alphabet? This can't be good!

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
I'm assuming, Gen Y? Is the Queers? Because I haven't heard much about them. Other than they "think" they can actually marry, each other, and make a "family"... Which is not "scientifically" possible. ....But really? We've run out of alphabet? This can't be good!

Tell me about it. Those queers. Don't get me started on the transgenders. I mean... girl penises in glory holes? In MY STRIP CLUB?!

AND THE JEWS! CHRIST SAKES, GET ME A LAWN TO KICK PEOPLE OFF OF!!!!1111!!!11!!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:33 PM
link   
There are a lot of lies they tell you about university while at school.

Lots of fancy graphs and charts that show you the seemingly countless advantages it holds to have a degree than to not have one.

Unfortunately thanks to this there is an over saturation of degrees, so they frankly just aren't as valuable as they were when they got the information for these graphs. Not to mention inflation from some degrees that are shall we say somewhat "iffy" in academic merit.

My Step father always told me to do do some form of trade. I always wanted to join the Navy and there were plenty ways to do something meaningful in it with a trade. I'd have something to fall back on if it didn't work out as well.

Naturally I decided to ignore this advice and instead go to university and do a degree so I could scum my way into officer school. An unfortunate accident meant that I couldn't actually join the Navy in the end so it was just an exercise in futility.

As a result I consider going to university to be a great waste of time and most pointless thing in my life to date. I did enjoy my history degree but it was far more narrow in scope than I was expecting, so I didn't properly get the supposed "passion" for the subject. I think i've actually learned more from studying it after university than I did while there.

Ironically I ended up doing an apprenticeship not too long ago so all I have to show for it really is colossal debt which I won't ever pay off unless I happen to win the lottery.

My advice to my baby daughter would be to avoid university like the bloody plague unless she has ambitions to work in medical, scientific or engineering fields. You don't even have to go there to learn about a subject you have an interest in but no career ambitions for thanks to the countless alternatives. My girlfriend's a talented artist and instead of doing an art degree she did an art class at college (different thing entirely here in the UK) and now does freelance graphic design. I think that was an infinitely superior life choice compared to the alternative.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Sadly trades is not an option in places like California.

Most high paying jobs here are IT and movie industry and those jobs are very hard to get to.

For other jobs, you need a degree and plus you have to know people.

This is one of the many reasons why a lot of people want to move out California.

Also, in California cities like LA, in order to live there either you have to get a high paying job, a room mate or live with your parents.

I have plans to move out of state. Any suggestions on what state I should move to?

Midwest / Southeast

If you want a decent paying career. Go to www.simplyhired.com and search Project Manager for just about any city. Business Analyst is good as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
Oh crap! We've run out of alphabet! I hate it, when that happens!

Must mean this is the last generation before the great reset. It must mean the end of this reality is in view.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: ConscienceZombie

Probably Generation Z will be last generation before the economy collapse.

With the way things are going it won't be long before everything will go down. Our economy, political structure and society has gone stale and the only way things will change is if something big happens.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Why do I see Generation Z and always think World War Z ?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

Well what's your advice for me? I picked history as my major 2-3 years ago in University because I felt like I have passion for it and all other subjects don't appeal to me.

After reading that you learned more from studying outside University, I wonder if there are subjects that I would have passion for if I hadn't taken it in University.

It's too late for me to change majors though since I am about graduate and this is my last semester.

History though is better than the gender and Pan African studies majors they are offering.

Sadly history is being infiltrated by Radical Leftists. I read a book once where some historians are having issues studying Radical Islam because they are afraid of being called Islamophobe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join