It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universe is not a computer simulation

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

Simulation theory would seem to imply some kind of predestination or predeterministic system at play. Freewill and Predestination don't really mix that well one not exactly being synonymous with the other. That's a cracker of a conundrum all in itself really but then again what is our universe if not a mystery.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Simulation theory would seem to imply some kind of predestination or predeterministic system at play.

The sim could allow events and info within it to determine it's path forward.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

From a Greek speaker...you speak of binary code. I myself don't know what I think of it. But think of this, Genesis says God speaks words and words manifest in the material universe. Characters basically make up reality. And God is Alpha and Omega yes A and "Z" but to the ancients alpha and omega were just as much 1 and 0 as they were A and Z. Some might say God is the material of the binary code and he is the living universe. Hell genesis gets into DNA code n all but only some languages like Hebrew and Greek van be read with an. Allegory appearing. Greek gives hidden meaning. English gives a bunch of stories. What a Shane to miss so much
edit on 9/12/2017 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Simulation theory would seem to imply some kind of predestination or predeterministic system at play. Freewill and Predestination don't really mix that well one not exactly being synonymous with the other. That's a cracker of a conundrum all in itself really but then again what is our universe if not a mystery.

According to Einstein, relativity strongly suggested a prederministic universe. The concept is called a "block universe" and sometimes referred to as "block time."

Although, I don't think a simulated universe has to be a predetermined universe, as one point of the simulation may be to see what happens over millions and millions of individual executions. In fact, that sort of describes many worlds theory.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Gothmog

CP/M-80 was before that, but IBM/Bill Gates confounded the languages at the tower of Babel.

And I am there.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: spacemanjupiter

Leaving the big question for those who haven't got it yet. Who made who? Who made you?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Self-determination, as opposed to predetermination, might be what consciousness is all about.

As to paths i imagine our path is only one of many deterministic or otherwise.
edit on 12-9-2017 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Dudemo5

"I don't think a simulated universe has to be a predetermined universe, as one point of the simulation may be to see what happens over millions and millions of individual executions."

That in a way would still be predetermined if you think about it.

I don't know where i stand on predestination vs free will.

Seems one is diametrically opposed to the other, but who knows how the universe would factor in the variable of free will?

It might be a lot smarter than we are, considering the time it's been around. Our logic or perception of such would pale in comparison an entity/program/explosion that exists in at least 11 dimensions and is over 13.772 billion years old.

It's an interesting concept to ponder all the same.

Edit: Also of interest, if memory serves some star/stars appear to be older than the current age of the universe. That seems of interest considering the current iteration we are supposed to be in. How can they be older than the singularity/simulation seems a relevant question?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
In the beginning , there was DOS ......

See, I was going with "In the beginning, there was OS2 Warp"..

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:57 PM
link   
OS/360 or VM/370 - There was computing before PCs.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Kind of all started with the Colossus and Alan Turing at Bletchley Park around 1943 with printed card inputs.

Before that it was Victorian logic machines but the idea of a computation machine seems to have been around since ancient Greek times at least, possibly even before.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I propose an alternative. The universe is the computer, with all the gazillions of interactions happening between particles serving at the beans sliding down the rod of the abacus. That's a pretty powerful computer, and there's no need to worry about trying to simulate it, since it is it. What if this universal computer is responsible for calculating the "A.I." of our minds?

Since the visible EM spectrum is so tiny compared to what's there it isn't really that unbelievable to entertain the notion that there could be more at play, in non intuitive ways.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: fredrodgers1960

originally posted by: Gothmog
In the beginning , there was DOS ......

See, I was going with "In the beginning, there was OS2 Warp"..

Still have OS2 ver3( ?) shrink wrapped in the box with all 23 disks...
But that is where Windows started. IBM gave Microsoft approval to test their "progman" within OS2 . And the rest is history.
I think the Universe would fit on those 23 3 1/2 1,44 mb diskettes

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Yeah. I was trying to not go back to less complex machines.

Maybe we should throw in Godel's Incompleteness to keep this stirred up.

edit:

I think some people aren't aware of computing before PCs and phones.
edit on 9/12/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I just updated my Avatar to the first computer i ever owned 48k ZX Spectrum. LoL

I suppose the Antikythera mechanism is the most ancient analogue computer we have in existence or have found to date, then again if you think about it Stone Henge and stone circles of Carnac could also be considered to be computational device of sorts so the idea goes all the way back to the megalithic period.

"I think some people aren't aware of computing before PCs and phones."

Such is the price of the information age in which we live.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

My experience started with IBM 360 - 370 and PDP 11/15 - 11/20. I did enter the PC world in the early days.

I would say the 22nd century would be a sight to behold but after seeing the 21st arrive, I have to wonder.

Man as we know it may not make it.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

I got into the PC game early in the 90s i suppose, learned IT on the old IBM 386 systems with 30mb hard disks, when windows came on floppy's as part of my Electronic and Electrical Engineering apprenticeship, can't mind the name of that golf game but it was the # back in the day.

The first PC that i owned was a 1Ghz Celeron CPU, onboard GFX, 128Mb of memory, 500Mb storage, cant even mind the make around 1999 i think. LoL

Im sure the 22 century will be rather an interesting time to live should we make it that far, possibly by that time we will have broached the singularity and have moved on to a type one civilization, else i think we might be back in caves really.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

That in a way would still be predetermined if you think about it.

I don't think so. If the outcome of the simulation was already known by those who created it, there would literally be no reason to have the simulation. The whole point of a simulation in the scientific sense is to find out what will happen. Why devote so many resources to something that is already known?

Only if it's not a true sim, but rather some sort of "VR Experience" project, would it make sense to have predeterminism baked into the model.

Another possibility is that both free-will and predeterminism exist simultaneously. That is, if we decide what we will do BEFORE the sim is launched, and then the SIM is launched/created all at once (all moments simultaneously) based upon our choices, our lives could be both based on free will and predetermined.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
5 1/4 floppies. Who can forget that clicking/buzzing (or however that sound is described) as the r/w head moved.

Imagine having a single picture on this disk and waiting for it to be displayed when opened. Modern, higher res pics wouldn't even fit.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Our universe as you all like to call it is both analog and digital. Analog cannot fully be expressed by digitality but digitality can be expressed by analogy. Hence, analogy is superior to digitality.

It isn't complicated neighbours.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join