It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universe is not a computer simulation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: CreationBro

Is "this" reality akin to the Matrix, in that we are essentially asleep and plugged in? Or that these are avatars?

No. What you're describing is more akin to the brain in a vat theory, wherein our bodies would exist in some other reality and our minds would be plugged into this one. While that exists as a possible permutation of the simulated universe hypothesis, it's not what I see most often proposed.

What I see proposed is this:
1) Simulated does not mean "fake." A simulated universe is still a real universe to everyone inside of it.
2) All intelligence inside the simulation is part of the simulation. We exist as part of what is being simulated. If the simulation is turned off, we cease to exist.

edit on 12-9-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-9-2017 by Dudemo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I don't really think our Universe is a simulation for the simple fact it's extremely complicated the amount of computing power required to generate something this large and detailed seems quite ridiculous, even for the most advanced species imaginable. I tend to believe the laws of QM are just a natural result of the way reality works.

Having said that quantum mechanics does more to indicate our universe could be a simulation then it does to disprove it. Instantaneous action at a distance is easily explained by entangled particles sharing memory regions in the computer. Wave systems can be represented by computers, but actually we're talking about probability waves, the universe wont attempt to give a particle an exact location unless it's being observed in a way that forces it to take on an exact location, this could potentially save a lot of time calculating the exact movements and positions of particles if the universe is a simulation, much like how a video game will only load in objects in full detail when you get close to them.
edit on 12/9/2017 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I think seeing reality as a simulation is a base for understanding a higher concept. In a sense, it is a simulation. There is order to the madness. Atoms, cells, DNA and so forth, follow relatively orderly rules that we can map out and simplify. Like the coding of a computer, DNA codes us, and it is coded by proteins, which are made up of the code of atoms. That's why we use computer metaphors for DNA and microbiology. That's the closest we can get to understanding it. Of course reality is much more complicated than that. So much so that a "simulation" or "computer" is the closest we can get to describing reality. That's just my opinion though! a reply to: dfnj2015

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:53 AM
link   
Good post !

Well Yes and no , of course isn't the universe a (von Neumann) 'computer' simulation.

First people thought universe was created by God then it was a clockwork then a matrix and now a computer. See the pattern technological advancement is projected on what is assumed the universe is.

Well just read between the lines and it becomes clear that this universe is a simulation done some kind of Device. And the whole gist of the message is that we all are 'in' it (),

Our bodies just like avatars experiencing the universe and it's simulated space and time whilst our 'souls' are connected to a higher reality.

Believe it or not 'computer' or not is not really important , but knowing that this show is simulated is.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

"Rouge waves of energy" sounds to me like The ghost in the machine.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
In the beginning , there was DOS ......

No.... In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God..... Microsoft Word?

Clippy rules the Universe!

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
In my opinion the mistake that many people make, even these top scientists you see on these panels on YouTube, are that they are taking the simulation idea a bit too literal. I agree, it's not a 'computer simulation' in the traditional sense, but it does seem as though it is a simulation developed by consciousness and that this consciousness is fundamentally information that is comprised of discrete bits. Experiments in quantum mechanics have been supporting this idea for a while, and as newer experiments are developed and executed, the idea is supported more and more each year.

Consciousness is the 'computer', and that 'computer' is outside of this experience. The simulation can't compute itself. This reality is a subset reality that is only a small part of a super-set. Seems as though we occupy 'avatars' here for the sake of experience and then go back home, so to speak, after the avatar expires. If this is the case, then there really is no such thing as 'matter' and 'energy'. It's all math and the big bang was nothing more than a fundamental formula, algorithm, instruction set, whatever, that was simply set into motion and evolved on its own. This universe is not a programmed reality. It's an evolved one that involves free will and choices, and consequences for actions. It's easy to say oh there are invisible forces like magic that make things stick, or repel, etc.. But it's even more simple to say that it's just a program or set of instructions. That is actually more logical. So consciousness would be digital by nature, and the evolution of computers and technology in this type of universe is only a natural inevitability. It's a universe based on probability distributions. Math describes our reality because our reality is math. People talking about simulation theory seem to forget that it's not that reality is imitating a computer, it's that the computer is imitating reality.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:15 AM
link   
>>>. If conspiracy theories are real, the idea that we're living in a computer simulation idea is certainly one. Not that we are( that's ridiculous) but that people keep pushing the idea. Why? To get people looking off in the wrong direction or to make people look like idiots? Like global warming and the flat earth theories, hogwash.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:40 AM
link   
All I can say is: It's about time someone challenged that idea of a simulated reality.

Like a lot of concepts that detatch us from our world, or lessen people's and this world's importance such as karma and reincarnation, the idea of living in a simulation often brings indifference to suffering.

Indifference to suffering is something we really don't need in this world.

edit on 12-9-2017 by Whatsthisthen because: typo

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Whatsthisthen
All I can say is: It's about time someone challenged that idea of a simulated reality.

Like a lot of concepts that detatch us from our world, or lessen people's and this world's importance such as karma and reincarnation, the idea of living in a simulation often brings indifference to suffering.

Indifference to suffering is something we really don't need in this world.

Well not at all 'simulation' is just a buzzword. For me it means that this world is just a subset of possibilities IT (simulation theory) implies that karma and reincarnation must exists and that part of our being originated from a different reality. If any without 'simulation theory' this world would be make no sense at all (refering to DNA /Entropy). For me this reality is an artificial simulation created by beings far more advanced than humanity.

edit on 9122017 by frenchfries because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I don't think anybody reads threads anymore lol a reply to: frenchfries

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

They programmed all simulated people to believe that.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

'day frenchfries.

Well not at all 'simulation' is just a buzzword.

Perhaps that buzzword is what disturbs me. People adopt these concepts and don't really think about how they apply them in their thinking. I have noticed that thinking of life as just a simulation cheepens this world and life in general when some people apply it.

For me it means that this world is just a subset of possibilities IT (simulation theory) implies that karma and reincarnation must exists and that part of our being originated from a different reality.

Reincarnation and karma must exist?

Well I do know that some people turn up over and over, but I wonder is this is true for everyone. The alternative to reincarnation is that new is normal. Karma, well I have a view that that too is not strictly true for everyone.

One could suggest that reincarnation is a very advanced science of possession. Karma though is, I understand, indeed a ruleset that would fit in with the idea of simulation.

For me this reality is an artificial simulation created by beings far more advanced than humanity.

I can't argue with you there frenchfries.

But, if so, then I would hope that those Beings run a ruleset that is a framework within which life can act randomly towards diversity and the new.

Ya know frenchfries, one thing I like about the people and threads here at ATS is that in participating and writing my thoughts down makes me think a little deeper then normal.

Maybe what bugs me the most is the idea that in this simulation, and quantum science (I think) there is the idea that every possibility is computed. That grates me, for it is a closed world that runs in an endless cycle.

Like the ant walking a mobius strip for eternity. How can there be any sense in creating a system like that?

There has to be something more. Becomming, growing and diversity come to mind as suitable candidates . . .

Grrr, now you have me thinking within the concept I dislike so much.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Ummm...I'm always a fan of those that make statements of fact...always...

YouSir

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Computers perform subtraction by doing twos complement addition.

So they are really doing many addition operations.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This is a fun hypothetical conversation.

It's pretty silly to argue for or against it since it's not possible to prove either way.

We're basically a "pocket universe".

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder
I don't really think our Universe is a simulation for the simple fact it's extremely complicated the amount of computing power required to generate something this large and detailed seems quite ridiculous, even for the most advanced species imaginable. I tend to believe the laws of QM are just a natural result of the way reality works.

Having said that quantum mechanics does more to indicate our universe could be a simulation then it does to disprove it. Instantaneous action at a distance is easily explained by entangled particles sharing memory regions in the computer. Wave systems can be represented by computers, but actually we're talking about probability waves, the universe wont attempt to give a particle an exact location unless it's being observed in a way that forces it to take on an exact location, this could potentially save a lot of time calculating the exact movements and positions of particles if the universe is a simulation, much like how a video game will only load in objects in full detail when you get close to them.

I always think of it as an open world video game. The game provides the user with enough information it needs. Not deserves or wants. So when your character turns quickly, you can see the universe pixelate itself as it renders the image for you.

The idea that it would take technology we dont have, does not mean it doesnt exist.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dutchowl
>>>. If conspiracy theories are real, the idea that we're living in a computer simulation idea is certainly one. Not that we are( that's ridiculous) but that people keep pushing the idea. Why? To get people looking off in the wrong direction or to make people look like idiots? Like global warming and the flat earth theories, hogwash.

Global warming is akin to flat earth now?

When politics invade conspiracies, this is what happens.

And why is it ridiculous we live in a simulation? Is that any more ridiculous than a 3 part god that sends his 'son' down to die for us. Oh but first, hes conceived by magic, performs magic, and lives on in magic. But the fact that quantum entanglement shows us a universe that works in binary code; that renders particles into a formation only upon a an active user's observation.. thats ridiculous...

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

There's no contradiction at all. If green codes start flashing before my eyes like in the movie the Matrix I will not ignore them.

My main point in the OP of this thread is the fabric of reality is a much different animal than computer memory which is discrete and predictable to perfection. I was just being open minded to the evidence of the wave nature of reality not being discrete and perfectly knowable.

And on top of that there's just not enough time in the Universe to make enough measurements to accurately represent what is going on in reality.

edit on 12-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Which fact are you arguing against. I did not invent quantum mechanics.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join