It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portlandia: Portland Deletes Its Gang List for Having Too Many Blacks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TobyFlenderson
a reply to: xuenchen

I can't speak for Portland, but in Boston a group of young black men standing on a corner is a gang and a group of young white man standing on a corner are just neighborhood kids.

What is the reason for that ?

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

I am sure they are only gang bangers because of the evil, racist, oppressive white culture that is so overbearing and racist and makes them do it because they have no other choice.

It's our white privilege that drives them to it.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

We don't have to. Some of us receive that label because apparently some KKK people said they were going to vote for the same presidential candidate we were also going to vote for.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Still waiting...

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

We don't have to. Some of us receive that label because apparently some KKK people said they were going to vote for the same presidential candidate we were also going to vote for.

We are talking about police profiling. Did you get officially profiled by your police department as a KKK affiliate for voting Trump?

I get that you're jaded by being socially profiled as affiliated with other Trump supporters, and I've said more than once this isn't 100% fair, but you don't have to keep making everything about that.

ps edit - I mean "you" as in a larger audience scope; not just you, personally.

edit on 11-9-2017 by Abysha because: depersonalizationism

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Racism is awesome but only if it's the politically correct kind.

They should probably end their welfare and SNAP programs too, since there's such a high percentage of minorities on it.

Still waiting on you to show us the "facts" you claimed in the above statement...
I can wait all night.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I would just be inferring any possible reason. I have my opinion however.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Profiling is profiling no matter who does it or how it happens.

You can't sit there and say this profiling over here is bad, m'kay, and then ignore some profiling over there because it doesn't suit you.

There are plenty of people who are getting profiled all over for various reasons all the time. Either, it's right or it's wrong, but it doesn't get to be right when you like it and wrong when you don't.

Either that or we need to accept that some profiles exist for a reason and figure out what those reasons are rather than simply scream about how unfair it is they exist. Are people getting profiled as gang bangers? Why? Why might that be and how does the community in question fix itself?

The problem that creates the profile does not cease to exist because you attempt to sweep it under the PC rug.

Oh, I am well aware that you can say the same thing about white supremacy, but first, you have to prove to me that there are as many white supremacists as there are gang bangers and that they create as much of a criminal problem. And, no, critical race theory is *not* a valid method for determining blame.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

And some people can take your last post

I am sure they are only gang bangers because of the evil, racist, oppressive white culture that is so overbearing and racist and makes them do it because they have no other choice.

As being racist...

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Apparently the Portland Oregon police are stopping their policies of "gang affiliations" because over 20 years, it has placed too many minorities in that "classification".

So now what?

I wonder what the criteria was to make determinations anyway ?

Portlandia: Portland Deletes Its Gang List for Having Too Many Blacks

Portland police next month will end their more than 20-year-old practice of designating people as gang members or gang associates in response to strong community concerns about the labels that have disproportionately affected minorities.

The Police Bureau recognizes that the gang designations have led to “unintended consequences” and served as lifelong barriers for those who have shunned the gang lifestyle and tried to get jobs, said Acting Tactical Operations Capt. Andy Shearer.

A review by Oregonian/OregonLive reporter Carli Brosseau last year found that of the 359 “criminal gang affiliates” flagged in Portland’s database as of last summer, 81 percent were part of a racial or ethnic minority.

I've gotta say I'm not sure how I feel about this either way. Personally I know someone that faces a lot of hassle from police and other things because he was a gangster when he was young. He was smart enough to leave when his friends started dying and honestly if he hadn't of told me about his life then I never would have guessed he was in a gang. All he does now his work and spend time with his family and friends when he can. He's one of the most patient, hard working easy going guys I know but regularly gets pulled over randomly or will get hassle from just about every government agency because he's still on a gang registry.

On the other hand, it's probably a really good idea to keep track of gang and their members, even ex gang members, lots are still affiliated and a lot of gangs are fairly sophisticated and involved in a lot more than just selling drugs on the streets.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

You can't sit there and say this profiling over here is bad, m'kay, and then ignore some profiling over there because it doesn't suit you.

Have I ever said that profiling you was a good thing? It was my post you derailed from the topic and I've fully admitted that full-blanket statements about Trump supporters aren't fair (if based on voting alone).

So you are arguing a point that nobody has made in this thread except for you.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear

And some people can take your last post

As being racist...

Either that or they are broke, and have no future to look forward too...

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:25 PM
link   

There are plenty of people who are getting profiled all over for various reasons all the time. Either, it's right or it's wrong, but it doesn't get to be right when you like it and wrong when you don't.

Either that or we need to accept that some profiles exist for a reason and figure out what those reasons are rather than simply scream about how unfair it is they exist. Are people getting profiled as gang bangers? Why? Why might that be and how does the community in question fix itself?

The problem that creates the profile does not cease to exist because you attempt to sweep it under the PC rug.

Oh, I am well aware that you can say the same thing about white supremacy, but first, you have to prove to me that there are as many white supremacists as there are gang bangers and that they create as much of a criminal problem. And, no, critical race theory is *not* a valid method for determining blame.

Oh, Honey, there are...
Love ya, Ketsuko, but...I moved out of the land you call home a long time ago.
Lived in two different places where Klan revivals were a thing.
It's unspoken. Luckily, I pass as white enough even with the long hair and high cheekbones.
We're talking actual lynching, racist, motorcycle gang stuff you probably watched a safe version of with "Sons of Anarchy" on cable.
I live this every day.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:32 PM
link   
You actually, believe that? If it was, in "the news", it probably, ain't true! You ain't figured that out yet?!!!!? Portland will continue to track. Nothing new here! I "feel" for The PPD. They'll "get dealt with", much like Hitler's "Brown Shirts". They think they have a one up on "control". Poor educated saps! Like Harbor Freight tools!

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Racism is awesome but only if it's the politically correct kind.

They should probably end their welfare and SNAP programs too, since there's such a high percentage of minorities on it.

Just waiting on you to post numbers.
Again.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This is akin to thought crimes.

Thought police.

You should be arrested for actions taken which are illegal. Period.

Profiling is just accusing people of .. uh. . . being something different.

We see countless examples of "thought crimes" or "thought police" now.

There is nothing illegal with being in a group of people. There is nothing illegal in even thinking things among your peers, whomever they may be.

It's the actions that are illegal. Not being within a group of people.

This is coming from someone who was called racist for not obeying and supporting everything Obama did.
Sexist for not voting for Hillary.
Nazi for supporting free speech.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Cool on you for not taking a totally jaded position on this and being honest.

I agree 100%.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
If there were an all white gang theyd be labeled white supremacists by yhese same people here calling these minority gang bangers victims.

The jist of it of course is that gang bangers are victims. Imagine that distorted reality.

They should be doing somethibg that is actually useful for them such as nation wide protests against the war on drugs.

This country is getting more screwed up by the minute.
Very few people are interested in solutions, they may "say" they are, and agree for the minute, but they go right back into the insanity the moment afterwards.

I don't see it getting better anytime soon.
Buckle up!

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Both of you are actually totally wrong.
There is a huge valid reason that organized criminal networks are to be identified and it's members categorized.

That includes drug cartels, street gangs, kill cults, pedo rings, ID theft racketeers, what have you.
Trying to say that "recognizing an organized criminal network" is "immoral" makes no rational sense.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
This is akin to thought crimes.

Thought police.

You should be arrested for actions taken which are illegal. Period.

Profiling is just accusing people of .. uh. . . being something different.

We see countless examples of "thought crimes" or "thought police" now.

There is nothing illegal with being in a group of people. There is nothing illegal in even thinking things among your peers, whomever they may be.

It's the actions that are illegal. Not being within a group of people.

This is coming from someone who was called racist for not obeying and supporting everything Obama did.
Sexist for not voting for Hillary.
Nazi for supporting free speech.

I bet all those FBI and CIA agents who were watching the terrorists plot, plan, practice for, and then successfully achieve the hijackings on 9-11 thought the same thing.

"There's nothing wrong with their thoughts. They are just different! We should let them be!".

Gangs are organized criminal networks man. They plot, plan, practice for, and then successfully achieve criminal acts. Their organization is based entirely on the carrying out of crime and working together to escape legal repercussions and to fight off competition.

It isn't thought crime, it's actual crime to plan a criminal act in a serious manner while developing the means and motive to achieve it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join