It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Student Loan Assistance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Let me start by just saying I am not a student. Never have I asked the government for assistance.
However, every single day (like clockwork) I receive a phone call from out of state as well as from my own area code with very friendly folks who wish to help me get my "student loans" under control.
It does not matter how often I explain that they are contacting the wrong person, and to please take me off their call list. Without fail, every single day, the call comes again. Sometimes more than once. I have had to resort to letting the voice mail pick it up, which pisses me off because I have actual people (physicians) that also call me often and I have to call them back. Which isn't really that big of a deal, but FFS why can't these people just
piss off??
Very annoyed. Needed to gripe. Thanks for listening.

-S

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Slinki

I've never gotten the student loan call. Just Elizabeth with the resort something or other.
Drives me nuts.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

I get more irritated when my old university always calls me for "alumni contributions."

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

We get calls telling us to sign up for Obamacare all the time.

On the student loan front, is it possible that your name matches someone who does have loans or if not your name, someone who has loans and is in trouble with them gives them a random number that happens to be yours?

We have that issue with a local hospital. They constantly call our house number, but they're always looking for someone else to collect the debt from. Generally, we tell them that person doesn't like here and they leave us alone until the next time that person runs up another debt.
edit on 11-9-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I get the IRS is suing me calls and that I will be taken in to custody by the 'local cops'. They even have the audacity to spoof real IRS phone numbers. Also, I get the reduce your rate calls quite often.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I get the IRS looking to sue me and Sarah from Card Services looking to help me restructure the massive amount of business charges I put on my one card.

The boner medicine guys stopped calling me so now it's all robots and my witty repartee I used to have with them is no more.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I get the IRS is suing me calls and that I will be taken in to custody by the 'local cops'.

I've gotten that one, the debt reorganization one, ones begging for money for various causes.

Some ring through, but the messages never start.....WTF???!?

I have talked to one or two.....but the calls just keep on keeping on

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Slinki
Let me start by just saying I am not a student. Never have I asked the government for assistance.
However, every single day (like clockwork) I receive a phone call from out of state as well as from my own area code with very friendly folks who wish to help me get my "student loans" under control.
It does not matter how often I explain that they are contacting the wrong person, and to please take me off their call list. Without fail, every single day, the call comes again. Sometimes more than once. I have had to resort to letting the voice mail pick it up, which pisses me off because I have actual people (physicians) that also call me often and I have to call them back. Which isn't really that big of a deal, but FFS why can't these people just
piss off??
Very annoyed. Needed to gripe. Thanks for listening.

-S

Next time they call, tell them that this number is a business emergency on-call phone and to put you on the Do Not Call List. It appears to work well.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   

I heard that in some states, if you tell the company to put you on their do-not-call-list and they call you, they have to pay a fine each and every time.

I dug up something for you. Here is a website that lets you report do-not-call-list violations. It even has some testimonials, check this one out:

4044331729 “Calls are in reference to Student Loans. Inundated with calls everyday.....”

Report a Do-Not-Call List Violation
edit on 11pmMon, 11 Sep 2017 19:32:29 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

The FCC issued a citation for the Do Not Call violation and informed the firm that any further Do Not Call list violations could result in monetary forfeitures to the commission not to exceed $11,000 for each violation. (Beginning 08/01/16, the fine can be up to $40,000 for each violation.)

Information about Fines
edit on 11pmMon, 11 Sep 2017 19:34:56 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:38 PM
link   
At least you were told they could assist. I once received calls for my student loans at 42 years old. They stated my name.Told me they were going to file a lawsuit. Only 1 problem . I never had a student loan in my life.
I just laughed and told them , go ahead. Cause once that was over , I would file a defamation of character lawsuit against them. For millions.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

You keep answering! And telling them no.. Which of course means to keep calling... and they aren't calling from anywhere legit where a "do not call list" exists.

If you insist on answering... start blocking every incoming call from them... Still they have unlimited #'s to call from...

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:03 PM
link   

My personal gripe is the amount of email (pesonal ones, but not excitingly so) for other people I get to my gmail account. I spam folder many, occasionally say "wrong person" but still it happens. I adopted my gmail account the week gmail was a thing too. Someone has a very similar account name (my guess is with dots between intials?) and somehow my account is on lists I'd never join.

Thankfully nothing to upset my wife (like hey I loved the date the other night) has happened....

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Register on the "No Call List." I'm registered, and if I get calls I give them a warning not to call again. The second time I give them hell and tell them I've lodged a complaint and reported them. That usually does the trick.

I get way too many long distance courtesy calls. Someone said when you become a member of AARP, they prey on retirees and the elderly. I have many of these phone calls blocked, except my land phone only allows a total of 25 blocked phone numbers! I can easily add another 25!

These courtesy calls should be illegal. It's an invasion of our privacy and it's soliciting for business in our private homes. How many businesses would allow people off the street to walk into their businesses and advertise or solicit their customers?

The way I look at it, they're placing advertisements in my private residence. Businesses have to pay for advertisement placement in magazines, billboards, trade shows etc... So maybe they should be paying the public a fee for placing and soliciting ads on our private phones, TV, Internet and internet. After all, consumers are paying for these services. Not to be bombarded with disruptive advertisements and disruptive phone calls!

This is just another example where consumers are being trampled upon, yet our government representatives turn a blind eye to it all. Heck these self-serving politicians utilize the same courtesy call format when they're running for office! How many times have we all received recorded phone calls of "Vote for Me." NOT!

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Good idea. I'll throw that 'em when they call today.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Problem is it's a different number almost every single time... grrrrrrr

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Your best bet would be to ask Obama how he circumvented the system.

top topics

join