It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Desperation Mounts in Caribbean Islands: ‘All the Food Is Gone’

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

It yanked the water way out, almost like a tsunami. There was a place in Florida that it pulled the water out so fast that a group of people had to rescue two Manatees that were trapped after the water dropped.
edit on 9/11/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
But this OP isn't about the Keys...

a reply to: csimon

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

A lot of the larger faith organizations have trained groups of crisis response teams who know how to go in and get the local groups on the ground organized and then figure out how best to support them with what they need. I know Missouri Lutherans do this.

I'm sure they're already mobilizing like the Catholics are.

Thing is that they're also working Harvey too. That will be ongoing for some time, and now they're all working two fronts.
edit on 11-9-2017 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The real tragedy is what's happening in the Carribeans... With a cat 5 storm and nowhere to go, the islands are a ruin. They don't have the land or the support of the people in other parts of the land, cause the whole land took a hit.

So contrary to the US, if they don't get foreign aid they are basically screwed. It might take them months or years to recover from that storm.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I do hope they get some help, and can understand that some governments don't do nearly enough for their people, but I have to ask; did they do anything to prepare? Set aside some supplies, water, etc? Heck, right now, far from a hurricane zone, my house has enough food to last for some days, for a large family, if something did happen. Were they hit so hard the stuff all washed/blew away, or did they make no preparations? I know that many affected by Katrina apparently didn't prepare, at all, and they certainly had the opportunity. Not sure about these folks, and what situations they faced beforehand.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328

like lots of Americans, they've been taught it’s easier to let the government feed and clothe you

What a stupid, asshat-ish comment. So nobody on those islands ever worked a day in their lives? What a crock.

Our populations are too large to support off the land, which is a big vulnerability IMO.

Not true at all. Check into "urban guerilla gardeners", and see what can actually be done. People can grow vegetables easily, for themselves, and in far less space than you might think was needed. Water is a bigger issue, for large urban areas, than food should be.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I do hope they get some help, and can understand that some governments don't do nearly enough for their people, but I have to ask;

France? The Netherlands?

The problem right now is getting supplies to them. It will happen, but without a place to land an airplane, it will take a while.

edit on 9/11/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I do hope they get some help, and can understand that some governments don't do nearly enough for their people, but I have to ask;

France? The Netherlands?

The problem right now is getting supplies to them.

No specific country named; just an observation. Some places, the governments don't do enough beforehand. We all know that's true. Local governments are often as much to blame, r ore so, than national ones. Recall Katrina? New Orleans didn't do what they needed to for years before that. Other places, in other states, were hit as hard, but all the attention was there, because they didn't do enough ahead of time. They had buses sitting empty, that could have been used to evacuate poor people with no cars, and their mayor did nothing.

Things like that aren't uncommon.

The problem after a hurricane is always in getting the supplies in. That's why people are supposed to prep for a few days, at least, to get by till aid can arrive. If they are hit so hard their supplies are lost, it's a bad situation.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Government is supposed to lay up supplies for everybody? What about personal responsibility and stuff?

Look at St Martins. There's nothing there. Everything is gone. It's sort of like "preparing" for a nuclear attack.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

What good does it do to send all the food in the world, if you can't get it where it needs to go safely?

There's a happy medium there.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

As is almost always the case.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Isn't that what the world seed bank is for. Emergencies. They really should have a seed bank in every country heirloom preferably , tax dollars at work. Water resources, tax dollars at work. But it doesn't look like those tax dollars are working for the citizens too well does it.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

Isn't that what the world seed bank is for. Emergencies.

It's for a number of things, mostly having to do with maintaining genetic lines, not planting crops.

But it doesn't look like those tax dollars are working for the citizens too well does it.
Really? Where did that first $10 billion for Texas come from?

edit on 9/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

You can't really prep for a cat 5 storm.

All the food in the world does no good when it can't get where it needs to go. Infrastructure is just gone, right now. Help is on the way, but it going to, most unfortunately, take time.

Airports need clearing. Helipads need to be cleared. Docks rebuilt. The list is virtually endless.

All you can do is one thing at a time. Getting food, medical supplies, desalinization equipment, etc... in is priority. Along with 1a) material for shelter. 2) Making sure people are safe, that's where those police and soldiers come into play. 3) Everything else.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Texas? I thought this post was about the Carribean Islands. Did I miss something?

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:13 AM
link   
A double post mishap

edit on 12-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ADSE255

The post I replied to seemed quite general. Talking about seed banks and whatnot. Do you think they're going to eat seeds in the Caribbean?

I don't imagine the cost at St Martins will run that high. They will get help. But as been pointed out, there's a problem with getting help to them right now.
edit on 9/12/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Here is a real life report of St Maarten and the evacuation of the Americans on the island.

Noteced one: They were evacuated by the army but had to pay an air fee.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

No I don't imagine it will either. Eat seeds, how evolved do you think they are?
edit on 12-9-2017 by ADSE255 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Government is supposed to lay up supplies for everybody? What about personal responsibility and stuff?

Look at St Martins. There's nothing there. Everything is gone. It's sort of like "preparing" for a nuclear attack.

You seem to have a reading comprehension issue. That, or you just want to troll my posts and kibitz about everything I say. When you figure out what I actually stated, and want to ask about that, let me know.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join