It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Residents of Hurricane States Pay Higher Taxes?. Hurricane Recovery is Very Costly.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

A dock workers house wont be the problem its the million dollar homes built on the beach, or (in the case of florida) in the swamp that screw everything up.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Or how about we reallocate a lot of the money from the Dept of Defense's budget? We already spend more than $500 billion a year on a department that supposedly exists to protect Americans. So wouldn't this be a more direct way of protecting Americans than paying for military bases in places like Djibouti?

Also, are we really advocating for tax hikes now? According to the 2010 Census, something like 39% of Americans lived in shoreline counties (HERE). Those are just the Americans who live in counties that are the coast. And after counting while half-sleepy so i could be wrong. don't wanna double check lol, there appear to be around 23 States that border our oceans. I think Alaska technically gets "extra tropical cyclones" instead of "hurricanes", but that would still leave tax increases for 22 States, including our 4 most populous States. Is that really something we should be advocating?

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

A dock workers house wont be the problem its the million dollar homes built on the beach, or (in the case of florida) in the swamp that screw everything up.

Agreed. A disproportionate amount of relief money goes to the extremely wealthy people who own beachfront properties as second or third or holiday or letting homes.

And these are not the people who need the most help. They're arguably not people who should be getting bailed out by the general taxpayer.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

The engineering that made Miami beach possible is a testimony to the ingenious capabilities of mankind.
They stated in the 1930s. Can you imagine the risks they took in alligator infested swamps where storms could come up and wipe out everything. And yet they did tame that swamp. They can't do anything about the weather which I might point out is super fine most of the time. Central Florida in July is a humid hell on earth but the rest of the time??? Warm and sunny.
We don't live our lives based on the bad things that happen. We live life because it can be wonderful. Florida is a great place to live. Most of the time.
Hey let's make a bumper sticker that says $hit Happen$. Oh wait...

I've lived on the sea coast my entire life. I'm one of those people.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Bullsnip. Those people have home owners insurance they pay out the wazoo for. Trust me. Our flood insurance is $5000.00 a year. Just flood. That's not home owners insurance which is an entirely different bill. I still have a $2000.00 deductible for wind damage.
The government pays for cleaning up. Not repairing homes. If you're uninsured you're pretty much on your own.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Uncle Sam is not rebuilding any MacMansions. The owners are.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: EternalShadow

a reply to: EternalShadow

Income-tax dollars are already appropriated. The Feds didn't "set aside" the $250 billion (quarter of a Trillion) dollars that they will spend on Harvey/Irma combined.

So where does the money come from?

The money is "appropriated" by Congress. If you recall, just last week, Congress appropriated $15 Billion for Harvey relief. (H.R. 601) The Texas Governor says that at least $100 billion MORE will be needed.

But where does the money come from?

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf
So only the dock workers should live by the sea?
What about those who fish for a living?
And the people who pave the streets or keep the lights on. Or the grocery stores for the dock workers to buy food...where do those people live? and what do they do when they're not working? No movies, no amusement parks, no sports arenas , no libraries, because those people would need homes too .
But they'd have tv so they really don't need any other accoutrements of a good life. They can just be poor dock workers in cruddy houses with no one else around and nothing to do but go to work and come home.

Your idea needs fleshing out I think...
edit on 9112017 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConscienceZombie
Yes they should. It should be the same in tornado ally and earth quake prone areas as well. You want to live in high risk areas then you should have to pay higher to do so. Or build your home or business more withstanding towards those risks.

And asteroid strike zones, including asteroids with ice on them. Don't forget the asteroid strike zone tax.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

The coast is where the seaports are. Who's going to work those jobs? If everyone moves inland?
We still move most goods around the world by boats. It's not feasible or sometimes even possible to put some things on a plane.

Hey maybe we should pay more attention to the warming waters of the Atlantic.
Oh wait...that's more lies isn't it?

Those jobs, the ones being filled by migrants?

Sorry I should elaborate, are they the good ones we want or the nasty ones that want to blow us up?
edit on 11-9-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Absolutely not. Unfortunately these coast lines are where are imports come from... you know those imports we trade our worthless dollar for? it's unfortunate but it's something we got to suck it up to.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   
If we made those who live in hurricane prone areas pay higher taxes what then would be the states motivation to remain as part of the country? Do we also have people in earthquake prone areas pay higher taxes how about tsunami areas or call mining towns or tornado alley or volcanic regions… The list goes on. The whole point of being part of a nation is that the burden of uncontrollable negative events is shared by every citizen.

Also many of these areas or high producers to the economy-right around Katrina into thousand five I read an article that said the ports in and around New Orleans contribute approximately 10 or 15% to the GDP. Based on that Louisiana should maybe be receiving 10 or 15% of the tax revenue that goes to the federal government. I'm sure Texas is even higher.
edit on 11-9-2017 by sjorges2002 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Never said I had all the answers, but I spent 24 years in Pasco county and there is a stretch of road between tampa and my home town that goes right through the middle of a swamp. A place that got light flooding from a good solid rain storm, they decided to bulldoze the cypress trees and put in million dollar homes, so what shape do you think those are in.

But you are not really wanting to discuss that much is obvious.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:36 AM
link   

This is a dumb thing to ask. Should you pay higher gas prices for those states oil refining industry? Shipping? Support infrastructure?

Tornado areas are usually also very fertile farmland. So should we pay more for food and grain?

This whole concept lacks an understanding of reality.

If you build it should be up to codes for hurricanes and tornados. Any luxury coastal property should have its own insurance or no help.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   

I would say no, I see rebuilding money as something of an insurance system that we all pay into nationally. If we made them pay more taxes, we effectively make them fund their own rebuilding and that just puts them into a bigger hole.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
It sounds like some think that if your home is wiped out, that the government will rebuild your home and your life for free. None of it is free.

The military brought me to South Florida in 1980. I have gone though a hurricane or two since then, and though I pay through the nose for home owners insurance, and flood insurance. I have never filed a claim, that has not stopped my premiums from going up every year.

I am an old fart and I know things have changed, but this new ideology of every man for himself, sours my stomach.

I grew up in a time and town where there was no government support, and if there was, nobody would take it. For them government was bad news and nobody trusted them.

When a family fell on hard times the community pitched in. They rebuilt barns, houses, replaced furnaces .

I never once heard of anyone begrudging someone the help they needed in a time of trouble.

When I look at the amount of money that our country gives to other countries and peoples, I can't believe that monies going to America and Americans would ever be a problem.

Maybe my senses are a bit raw after sitting through two days of Irma, but it sounds like the destruction and erosion taking place in America, is more to our soul, than to our lands and properties.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Why is the Department of Defense™ doing the job of the Department of Offense? That is why I'll argue that Geo W Bush did more for the actual "defense" of the U.S. during the Vietnam War and He never left Texas airspace, besides the jaunt up to Oklahoma for some conference and there is a pretty good chance Geo wasn't at the controls...

If I come to Your place, I'm on the 'offensive' if You come to mine I have to 'defend'...

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Should single women pay higher tax rates because statistically they suck up the most welfare money?

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

think Alaska technically gets "extra tropical cyclones" instead of "hurricanes", but that would still leave tax increases for 22 States, including our 4 most populous States. Is that really something we should be advocating?

Mmm, I am confused. What does population count have to do with it? I wouldn't advocate higher taxes across all those states, but the storm and flood prone coastal and flood plain counties should see their taxes dramatically increase. And here's why.

The coastal flood prone areas are precisely the places homes and businesses should NOT be. There are two ways to discourage development and encourage re-location. Dramatically increase taxes and through the National Flood Insurance Program, when a home or business is flooded out, pay the owners via the Flood Insurance, then transfer title to that property by way of condemnation to a Federal Land Trust or the Nature Conservancy. I know for a fact they have been doing that in low lying areas of Houston, Harris County where they use a "3 times and your out" rule.

Take a look as well at who builds the coastal McMansions on or near the coast! Evil rich members of the Luciferian Elites! Who better to punish with high taxes?

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   

a reply to: EternalShadow

Income-tax dollars are already appropriated. The Feds didn't "set aside" the $250 billion (quarter of a Trillion) dollars that they will spend on Harvey/Irma combined.

So where does the money come from?

The money is "appropriated" by Congress. If you recall, just last week, Congress appropriated $15 Billion for Harvey relief. (H.R. 601) The Texas Governor says that at least $100 billion MORE will be needed.

But where does the money come from?

The money comes from Taxpayers. Since its the government, they could also PRINT more or BORROW more from the banker in China.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join