It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Sci-Fi sitcom Orville from Seth MacFarlane is awesome!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Orville 'awesome ?

It's LAME as hell.

That show will be canceled.

At first, as I've written, I was gung-ho on this series - Until I saw episode three.

To sum up the first three episodes.

1. Sci-fi adult comedy - Often funny.

2. More serious sci-fi, not bad as a Star Trek wanna-be.

3. Crap - A full episode exploring the sexual identity problems of an alien race that is all male.
- It wasn't funny - and was seriously bad.

And 4. You may be right - One more really bad episode like the last one and it should be canceled.

Until the writhers and producers make up their minds as to whether they want basically a comedy with some serious
elements - Or serious sci-fi drama with some comedy - They will produce lame content.

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I saw about 20 minutes of the first episode. This has a chance. The writing is good. Got chemistry. Some running gags. It's on on the wrong night. The NFL owns that night.

ETA: Looks like I saw the best of it. It should be a comedy with some seriousness imo.
edit on 23-9-2017 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   
As with most TV shows, you're going to have great episodes, and you're going to have bad episodes.

The key is to have more great ones than bad.

You also have to look at what the show is about. Is it about the story of things happening around the characters? Is the show more about the characters themselves? Or is it a combination of the two?

So far, at least in my opinion, the show seems more geared towards a show about the crew itself, and less about what is going on around them. That may change as the show gets done showing us the crew.

The pilot episode is about Ed getting this ship and his ex-wife becoming his XO.

The second episode was about the young security officer being placed in command and how she handled it.

This 3rd episode was about Bortus and background on his culture.

I think if the show was nothing but slap stick comedy that was nothing more than what the movie Galaxy Quest was, people would grow bored with it quickly. At the same time, they need to be careful and not make it a Star Trek clone, by making sure to insert that humor often enough to make the show different.

Some times first seasons are just the show flexing about, seeing what works and what doesn't. I'll reserve judgement until they finish this season.

The good news is: it's not on SyFy.....who has a bad habit of canceling shows that people like.

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Series made a comeback in episode 4 and got even better in episode 5.

Apparently the're tuning it into a serious sci-fi series with elements of humor to make it more interesting

And you know it works - Could become a classic series

Star Trek like stories with good acting and directing - and an occasional laugh.

But be careful - Fox has a bad habit of canceling classic grade sci-fi series.

- Sometimes I think it is more that ratings - I guess the bottom line is profit, not quality.

The question then is - can you make a serious/humorous sci-fi series and keep the sponsors interested ?

-

edit on 6-10-2017 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I must say I'm having a hard time hating this show.

posted on Oct, 7 2017 @ 09:30 AM
link   
As much of a snorefest this show is.

I'm still watching it.

posted on Oct, 13 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It definitely has a TNG feel to it, I'm enjoying it so far.

posted on Oct, 15 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
After a few episodes of The Orville I find it really grows on me. It's a very hi tech production. A cross between the original Star Trek and Buck Rodgers in the 24 Century.
edit on 15-10-2017 by Nickn3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
So will data and teal'c save the orville?

posted on Feb, 22 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Last episode was classic science fiction at its best - Your friendly AI robot/android with a hidden agenda
Don't miss it - Its a two parter though and we have to wait for next episode to know the outcome.

The question you have to ask yourself now is - Is Seth MacFarlane becoming the new Gene Rodenberry ???

posted on Feb, 23 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Anyone else think Bortis looked awesome with a mustache?

posted on Mar, 3 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlienView
Last episode was classic science fiction at its best - Your friendly AI robot/android with a hidden agenda
Don't miss it - Its a two parter though and we have to wait for next episode to know the outcome.

The question you have to ask yourself now is - Is Seth MacFarlane becoming the new Gene Rodenberry ???

The conclusion of the two parter was awesome - One of the best science fiction episodes I've ever seen on TV.

And yes Seth MacFarlane is a true sci-fi phenomena - The creative talents of Gene Roddenberry with the
aciting talents of William Shatner.

- AlienView

top topics

<< 1   >>

join