It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Sci-Fi sitcom Orville from Seth MacFarlane is awesome!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 09:34 PM
link   
It's like Red Drawf meets Family Guy meets Star Trek. It's so awesome! Great production work. Great writing. Very funny. The scene with the beagle in the background was so close to making me spit out my drink. I don't know how I held it in!

edit on 10-9-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

I take my Star Trek too seriously to enjoy a comedy knockoff. Not to mention I can't stand McFarlane so I am out on this one. I am glad you enjoyed it though.

edit on 2017/9/10 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I did enjoy Galaxy Quest. And McFarlane seems to really like Trek. I'll give it a go when it is on Hulu or Netflix or something. Ditched cable a few years ago.
I don't miss it other than when Rick and Morty are airing. Best show on the idiot box.
I do miss South Park, too. I wonder if Hulu is going to air the episodes after their on-air date right away...

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 09:52 PM
link   

I thought it was okay for an opening episode. But I'm a tough nut to crack for comedy. I do like the character development and want to see where they go with this one.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I will watch but I have a hard time with Seth MacFarlane's well-known homophobia due to his own sexual identity issues. I don't pry into people's personal business, but he uses it for personal gain and I don't agree with that, at all.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

I like how they use the music from Galaxy Quest.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Continuity seemed a bit lame.
Where did the krill spaceships go that parked between the shuttle &Epsilon buildings?

But I must say the blue "ejecta" was pretty funny in the opening scene.

ganjoa

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: oriondc
I will watch but I have a hard time with Seth MacFarlane's well-known homophobia due to his own sexual identity issues. I don't pry into people's personal business, but he uses it for personal gain and I don't agree with that, at all.

Well know homophobia? Nope.
He tells jokes, someone is the butt of those jokes, being gay doesn't give you a pass from said jokes.

I can accept he's not always funny but I cannot agree he's a homophobe.

To quote Stephen Fry (a Gay comedian and extremely intelligent bloke)
"“It’s now very common to hear people say, ‘I’m rather offended by that,’ as if that gives them certain rights. It’s no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. ‘I’m offended by that.’ Well, so what?’

—Stephen Fry"

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Taggart

Well, because in these dystopian times-they'd call that a hate crime. Just ask the BLM.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: the owlbear

It's on Hulu right now. They are going to carry each episode as it comes out, with a few hours delay.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Needed something to wash the trash out of my brain that was "realive" that I just watched.

So far, I'm only at the introduction to the senior crew, but have had a few good chuckles. I like it so far.

As I should say, This is so terrible, I Love it !!

gotta say the Isaac guy sounds a lot like Brent Spinner, though it isn't. hehe, this should be good fun !!

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 06:26 AM
link   

I stumbled on the last few minutes of the show and wondered what the Hell I was watching. I thought it was Saturday morning cartoon time. I checked on my computer TV listing app, TitanTV and found it listed as a comedy. --Ain't no way that is a bona fide "comedy." I saw nothing to laugh about, but I did make the "Tsk, tsk," sound that these days they describe as sucking my teeth.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
This is the one that seems to have been based on Scalzi's book Red Shirts?

If no one has read Scalzi's book, I highly recommend it.

posted on Sep, 11 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

trailer would fit in your op rather well.

its getting rather bad reviews, www.vox.com... just one example, most critics seem to be saying the same.

doesnt surprise me, stopped enjoying seth's stuff when he started getting more political,

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 04:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
It's like Red Drawf meets Family Guy meets Star Trek. It's so awesome! Great production work. Great writing. Very funny. The scene with the beagle in the background was so close to making me spit out my drink. I don't know how I held it in!

NOT GOOD - GREAT! - A CLASSIC

I spent probably the lsat 5 years watching serious sci-fi, my first love - But it was starting to warp my brain - I needed some comedy or fantasy - So I began to search under category 'comedy science fiction' - And of course a bunch of shows like 'Alf' whidh is basically kids stuff - Then I found a few that were good:

'Hyperdrive' [fair but sometimes funny], 'Other Space' [very funny], 'People of Earth' [adult, and sometimes very funny show about a group who think they were abductied by aliens - sometimes hilarious], etc.

And now THE ORVILLE - It combines a Star Trek like serious story with great comedy - AND IT WORKS!

If you are a sci-fi fan and still have a sense of humor - don't mis it!
edit on 12-9-2017 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Watched it yesterday.

So, it didn't disappoint me, but then after watching the trailers for it, I knew it was suppose to be pretty much a comedy and not to be taken quite as seriously as actual Star Trek series.

Things that cracked me up: showing how even in a futuristic world, people still have real world problems (the Captain's divorce).

Bathroom jokes. Seriously - in Star Trek, no one ever seems to have to go to the bathroom.

Human idioms: the aliens on board trying to understand things like human sarcasm.

So far I like what I've seen, but will hold off complete judgement until more episodes are out. Many times it takes a season for characters are fleshed out and kinks are worked out of a series. I remember when TNG came out: the entire first season felt "rough". Things "felt" better by the 2nd season.

One thing I'm sure of: people will end up in 2 camps with this show. They'll either love it, or hate it.

posted on Sep, 13 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Entirely. It will be canned or lauded.

Personally, I liked it. Fresh, and I even tried to like "making History"

edit on 13/9/2017 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Just saw the second episode.

Apparently it is meant to be taken seriously.

BUT by adding a sense of Humor it becomes very refreshing.

It's Star Trek style - And equal in quality, acting, directing, intelligent story, etc.

Star Trek with a sense of humor that occasionally laughs at itself.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:42 AM
link   

That's gold, will be on my watch list with a few beer tokes and a great big smile....

posted on Sep, 21 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Orville 'awesome ?

It's LAME as hell.

That show will be canceled.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join