It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old Roman Concrete

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I would usually not spend so much time on making few dozen of bricks, I would just salvage them or buy some.

However, what if I can't find any that way? Well... Good old concrete sure will do the job perfectly.

edit on 10-9-2017 by Argentbenign because: mobile

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Only watch the very start but really keen to see the rest.. been helping my dad build an Adobe garden lately so I'm interested in other recipes. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 05:11 AM
link   
they used sea water making the concrete harder.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Argentbenign

Nice!

Except!

Where in Australia am I supposed to find the ingredients. We don't have any volcanoes!

Lol.

S@F

P

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 08:35 AM
link   
It's a good video. It is good to know how to make some concrete to cement stones together. We do lack the raw materials here though, unless you could use crushed up dinosaur bone rocks. We have some of those in the yard and around the area. The closest regular limestone formation is seventy miles away.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: growler
they used sea water making the concrete harder.

They were able to pour concrete under water too.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I would usually not spend so much time on making few dozen of bricks, I would just salvage them or buy some.

Portions of the Roman Coliseum were recycled and used in other construction.

Severe damage was inflicted on the Colosseum by the great earthquake in 1349, causing the outer south side, lying on a less stable alluvial terrain, to collapse. Much of the tumbled stone was reused to build palaces, churches, hospitals and other buildings elsewhere in Rome. A religious order moved into the northern third of the Colosseum in the mid-14th century and continued to inhabit it until as late as the early 19th century. The interior of the amphitheater was extensively stripped of stone, which was reused elsewhere, or (in the case of the marble façade) was burned to make quicklime. The bronze clamps which held the stonework together were pried or hacked out of the walls, leaving numerous pockmarks which still scar the building today.

Wiki

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Thanks for the video.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Heard Island and McDonald Island (if memory of nerdish researches into the locations of geologically active areas, serves me well) both have active volcanoes. I know they are 4,000km away from the mainland, so not a short trip, but they are probably the closest option for active volcanoes.

Did a bit of further digging, and found this handy Wikipedia page:

en.wikipedia.org...

This lists all the dormant and extinct volcanoes as well... now, it may be worth, in the event of your requiring materials issuing from a volcano, to check the volcanoes on this list, which have been active within the last twenty thousand years, because it is possible that some debris from their last furious expulsion, may remain available for gathering.

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Where in Australia am I supposed to find the ingredients. We don't have any volcanoes!

Blue lake in Mt Gambier was a volcano . All you need is some goggles and a really big breath of air .

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

Nice!

Except!

Lol.

S@F

P

Plenty of places. World's longest continental volcanic chain is in australia here but the most recent eruption was Mount Gambier some 6000 years ago, Look up gumtree some people just want volcanic rocks removed for free,

posted on Sep, 12 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

What! I have to dig up rocks! If I wanted to do that, I would rob a bank so the prison could organize the dig.

Thanks for the replies from everyone.

I am left wondering if dormant volcanoes would have dormant rocks.

Lol

P

top topics

join