It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami shelters homeless against their will as Irma closes in

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   

(MIAMI (AP) — On what is likely the last clear day in Florida before Hurricane Irma’s monster wind and rain, social workers and police officers are giving Miami’s estimated 1,100 homeless people a stark choice: Come willingly to a storm shelter, or be held against their will for a mental health evaluation.

........“We’re going out and every single homeless person who is unwilling to come off the street, we are likely going to involuntarily Baker Act them,” said Ron Book, chairman of the Miami-Dade Homeless Trust

Invoking the “Baker Act” — a law that enables authorities to institutionalize patients who present a danger to themselves or others — is not something law enforcement does lightly, but officers detained at least six people by Friday afternoon. Under the law, they can be held up to 72 hours before the state would have to go to court to prolong their detention.

apnews.com...:-Miami-homeless-removed-against-their-will?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter &utm_medium=AP

Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox
I think those are the homeless who may not comprehend and or understand the situation. The Baker act prevents them from being harmed and or prevents the need to rescue them later.
It's logical...

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Better to force them into safety than leaving them alone and possibly let them die.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Just goes to show one is not "free" at all.

A man should be able to make decisions such as these, life and death included.

This mindset of "saving" the homeless for their own sake is the same one enabling the leeching from our welfare system.
edit on 9-9-2017 by chadderson because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   
A city the size of Miami and only 1.100 estimated homeless people? Just who are they kidding.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Conflicted on this..

Not every homeless person has a mental deficiency. What if *I* chose to just be homeless and said I'm staying. Locked up as a patient? Yeah, nah. But rambling bob and his trolley full of empty bags and cans, who thinks the moon talks to him, yeah, he needed help LONG before any crisis. Seems odd to me.

I hope for the safety of all, but not at the behest of a law that treats me as incapable of my own decisions. As long as my decisions also waiver any expectation of help, should I find my self neck deep in flood waters and having trees thrust towards my bonce.

Save the homeless at any costs, but only in a hurricane.. otherwise they can die in the gutter? Or cast out to the furthest regions of the normal citizens? Or walked over, starving, and in need?

soooo many things can be said here..

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: chadderson

I look at it the same as attempted suicide.

People stop others jumping off bridges, buildings, taking overdoses, hangings, slit wrists etc. Do you think they should be allowed to commit suicide?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   

But you'd be all for saving billy mudder if he said "Naww, I'm staying put in my tin house, git offa my property." ?

Why just the homeless, as you claim?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
This has to do with other people having to try and rescue them later. No need to stretch things thinner than they already are.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Let them die in the storm.
How will that go over?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: craterman
This has to do with other people having to try and rescue them later. No need to stretch things thinner than they already are.

No one gave a toss before.. why now?

makes a place look bad?

serious question.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: chadderson

This mindset of "saving" the homeless for their own sake is the same one enabling the leeching from our welfare system.

But if they're so mentally ill they can't make that desicion themselves...

Also, a lot of those shelters are funded by private money by wealthy people, so you don't have to worry about that. They aren't forcing you to donate, are they? They donate both time and money. They take time out of their schedules away from their business and work in shelters while some of these homeless types mock them with "you don't need to help us to make yourselves feel good " at least twice a month, but they still do it despite the insults. Personally, I sometimes think the donors are just as mentally whacked out as some of the homeless.

Oh, but anyway, you're right. Just leave them outside to die, mental retardation and all.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

I believe in freedom. If someone wants to kill themselves it is hard to say whether I would use my freedom to stop them.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

What?

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: 4003fireglo

Not all homeless are "retarded".

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I believe in freedom. If someone wants to kill themselves it is hard to say whether I would use my freedom to stop them.

So freedom to die, but not freedom to help?

I thought, as human beings, we were brought up to help who we can, if we can.
edit on 992017 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Where do you get that?

We all have the freedom to help. Would your freedom to stop them trump their freedom to kill themselves?

I do not know what my freedom would do.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:05 AM
link   

So which freedom is more important?

The freedom to die?
Or
The freedom to help?

There are also people who are obligated to help (medical personnel). So for them it's not about freedom of choice.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

You might feel different if you were the guy who has to haul in their dead bloated bodies. If you want to die at least make it easy on others.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Conspiracy! FEMA is turning the homeless into hamburger meat for mcdonalds.

Im kidding...

They should say thank you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join