It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Work is a lot more fun when you get asked to do really cool stuff and get paid for it.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I used to be a computer games tester.

I HAAAAATED it after a while. When your hobby becomes your job, your life just sucks. Everything feels like a chore.
Needless to say I quit that years ago.

It was interesting at first, but writing in third person, from an outside perspective gets boring.

"The user has tried to press start, the start button resets the user the the console homescreen". What fun language for a hobby.....

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
Few people actually get to make a decent living doing something they absolutely love...

Often times when a hobby turns into a job, you lose all the things you used to like about the hobby.

That is what you call hitting the nail on the head.

There is too much of a good thing, you can't work as a movie critic and go home and enjoy watching the same movie again, or like selling a TV only to come home and watch sport on a smaller TV.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I haven't considered myself as 'working' for years now, I just keep an eye open for any earner simply because I have to pay to play.
If my expected outgoings are covered by my 'work' then I generally sleep in bed until late morning and go chill with mates.
...I'd probably be a millionaire now if I wasn't so lazy, but meh I like late nights and a long lay in bed in the day.
I owe nobody and pay my own way, so my lifestyle suits me.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

originally posted by: Edumakated
Few people actually get to make a decent living doing something they absolutely love...

Often times when a hobby turns into a job, you lose all the things you used to like about the hobby.

That is what you call hitting the nail on the head.

There is too much of a good thing, you can't work as a movie critic and go home and enjoy watching the same movie again, or like selling a TV only to come home and watch sport on a smaller TV.

Yeah, I think people never really see day to day or what people actually do for a living. So what maybe fun to a hobbyist doing something to past the time on the weekend may actually be a terrible business/industry or whatever to actually earn a living when you are doing it every single day. People rarely see the behind the scenes too, so they don't really know what goes on day to day. They only see the end product.

Just because you can make a mean cupcake, doesn't mean running a bakery is fun.

I

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Joneselius
I used to be a computer games tester.

I HAAAAATED it after a while. When your hobby becomes your job, your life just sucks. Everything feels like a chore.
Needless to say I quit that years ago.

It was interesting at first, but writing in third person, from an outside perspective gets boring.

"The user has tried to press start, the start button resets the user the the console homescreen". What fun language for a hobby.....

Right, because you are TESTING a game, not actually playing it. Subtle difference. I love motorcycles. I often see people who write articles for motorcycle magazines. Seems like a dream job. Yet, the reality is they are magazine writers first, motorcycle riders second. The job is writing, not riding motorcycles.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

You doing construction and loving it is the opposite of me as did it for years and I hate it now lol.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TJames

The cannons I will make a master template on a wood lathe and then use latex to make them out of concrete as that is what the customer wants.

The rest will be made of reclaimed oak machined up and then aged with a special solution made with rusty nails and vinager to simulate the aging effect.

Nice to see you found a way of surviving without the nine to five.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Ah brilliant plan!

Small grade aggregate then I'm guessing?
Sounds cool as.

...I duck and dive fella, if I had to go back to 9-5 I would, but right now in my life I don't need to...never been a wage slave though, that's for weak folk who need to depend on others. Like people who need to be in a romantic relationship instead of living free and single lol

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: TJames

Not sure on what I'll use as never done it before but a bit of youtubing and I should be alright

I duck and dive myself a fair bit as it's a damn sight more fun than the more conventional way of doing things.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
One day in the warehouse I used to work at, the owner came up to me and asked me to turn my forklift off for the day, grab some trash plastic off of some pallets and cardboard boxes and build him targets to shoot at with his crossbow.

Easiest $19/hour I have ever made. Milked that for about 4 hours.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
a reply to: SaturnFX

Ha .. I am semi old school engraver ... rotary burr.

Also used to smash a Gravograph VX ...

1989 Phillip Island Motorcycle Grand Prix ... trophies by moi !

Yeah, the main business sells the norm engravers as the meat and potatoes. gravograph, roland, etc. Some pretty great things customers make with the machines. We even take on odd jobs from places like mazda, patron, crown royal, etc

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I fly drones for a living in really cool spots.
Most recently 8900ft under ground at Kidd Creek mine site.
My partner and I sent the footage and georeference material to Guinness world records for deepest unmanned aerial vehicle flight last week.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

That's the truth!
Free range is the way forward

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: cancerslug

Do you have a site with the bikes for sale?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join