It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Work is a lot more fun when you get asked to do really cool stuff and get paid for it.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: SaturnFX

Ha .. I am semi old school engraver ... rotary burr.

Also used to smash a Gravograph VX ...

1989 Phillip Island Motorcycle Grand Prix ... trophies by moi !

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

I love it! So imaginative and cherry! So big bucks guy will gladly ay much for it!

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Filmmaker, producer, SAG actor, IATSE crew local 600, Blessed....
edit on 8-9-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Justso

Pssst! Above Top Secret work in progress, it's a 4-piece quatroptichon (what? Yes!), too, you didn't see the whole scope of dada yet. I'll post a thread for the whole bunch once they're done with me.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I played poker for 4 years. It was the most boring job ever. I earned a load of cash but spent around 15 hours per day playing, 7 days a week, sometimes longer.

Over 100 hours a week doing something I loved.

I never play online now. Simply boring as hell.

I also used to host games in the pubs around the area. Great to begin with and again, lots of cash. But late nights, loads of beer and lots of organising killed it for me.

Now I'm in a boring industry but life is different every day and the people are good to be around. I'm completely content!!

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

I used to stand on the roof of a SUV while using a polesaw to cut branches, that was fun.

Work isn't designed to be fun, but you can make it fun then there are no limits. I used to use my bosses ride on lawnmower to do some drifting, he was too scared of ants so his fear lead me to burn some rubber. When I did a part time radio gig we used to down a few during ad breaks and carry on afterwards, we got the job done and somehow people liked it.

It's not hard to make a normal workday fun, even a simple bet on a game of blackjack or Texas hold 'em during the lunch break can relieve the tension and a happy work force is a productive work force.

edit on 8-9-2017 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Always said it's a lucky person that makes a living doing what they enjoy. So many don't.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: badw0lf

Dumpster divers aren't thieves.

Sorry your economy sucks so bad people have to steal meters from the city.

Huurrrr hur hur hur

*smdh*

get back in the bin, Oscar.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: intrptr

Dumpster divers aren't thieves.

Sorry your economy sucks so bad people have to steal meters from the city.

In the UK if you take from skips without asking permission it is classed as theft by finding technically so I always ask first and no one ever says no as it makes more space in the skip and they are pretty expensive over here.

It's the same here. I always let the people taking old things just take them, on verge day here though.. feel too strange saying "Leave my trash alone" O.o

And the times I have taken my ute to have a looksee, I always ask.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Few people actually get to make a decent living doing something they absolutely love...

Often times when a hobby turns into a job, you lose all the things you used to like about the hobby.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:13 AM
link   

They are even worse here,they steal war memorial signs and dry risers from tower blocks for the copper to scrap.scumbags.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Used to have some good times when I worked as an IT tech as pretty much every call can be a totally new experience, you get to know where pretty much everything is in the building and I managed to get a master key for pretty much 99% of the building so I could go anywhere, do anything I wanted and since people expect to see you walking around they don't question you going into strange storerooms etc, just carry some cat5 cables and a port tester and job done..with knowing where everything is I could sort out problems in minutes where going through the formal procedures would of taken days.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: glen200376

That's just the lowest.. we've had bronze things taken, but so far nothing memorial. Historical, if you like, but not preserved to others..

people these days.. it's sad. :/

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

When I worked in IT, is was the same. funnily, the basement of the main building was the most interesting part. ancient things discarded over the years, but no longer assets. Asset management had no clue, so we could get to take home, back in the day, really old dual processor mobos, etc, lol.. no importance but to us nerds.

but the walking in anywhere you wanted.. especially on a helpdesk call, I'd walk into a classroom full of smart arse students, pick up a PC and walk out and hear "Hey, that guy just took a computer!"

Loved free dress Friday.. hehe

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I'm green with jealousy!

I used to run CNC mill for a texas sword and knife maker, which we sold at Renn faires. I was apprentice for 2 years and lived onsite.

Only the faire season was the enjoyable part, the rest of the year was 10 hour days 7 days a week running the CNCs 24/7. Nearly ruined the art for me!

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: cancerslug
i restore vintage beach cruisers and vintage bmx bicycles, and build custom beach cruisers. i work a 9 to 5 job but most of my free time im working on bicycles. i make money doing it, and worst case i break even. when i do a build for a customer, i don't really charge for labor. i see it as my free time, and give me something to do that i like. i wish i could do it full time but am happy with what time i can put into it. taking a rusty unloved bike and turning it into art is what keeps me doing it. its a great feeling seeing someone really enjoy the work you put into something.

Cool. I used to race BMX in expert class nationally (mostly NBL) back in the mid 80s/early 90s. I thought about restoring an old 24 inch cruiser to period correct just for sh*ts & giggles. A Boss, Free Agent, or Cyclecraft.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   

That sounds like a great opportunity and could lead to future engagements?
Congratulations!
In my regular 7-3 (M-F) job I do training, medical billing and keep up with veteran staff and their requirements to stay employed. It's steady and pays the bills, sort of...which brings me to my second job (after real work and weekends) that I LOVE.
Home remodeling, construction and any outside work that we/I can get. Anything outside the office and no supervisor, other than the homeowner/business owner of course, brings me much happiness and is fun.
It pays more but, it's not as steady in the winter.
I owe, I owe so off to work I go.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Timely

I recently made a wood steering wheel for a 1927 auburn that's being restored.
That and a bunch of other wood parts.

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Sounds cool, how are you making it, with a big wood lathe or something? As others have said I'd love to see pics when you've done it.
Personally, I can't remember the last time I worked 4 full days in a row, I owe nothing and pay my way in life from my varied business interests. I don't feel like I work as the masses to be honest, I'm currently assisting someone in appearing to own less assets than they really do, this involves not much more than being the legal owner of property or shares in limited companies. Perfectly legal before the faux outraged people whine, but massively based on trust due to the legal status of ownership.
I am very much trusted, so get paid a decent penny for doing pretty much nothing other than signing forms every now and then.
Sometimes have jobs driving to the 4 corners of England to collect things for people but that's always full expenses and doesn't seem like work either...'nother story though lol

posted on Sep, 8 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Sales, can be boring but I work with three other people. We all get along really well, it's not the job as much as the people I work with
Like a well oiled machine, with laughter and real friendship.

Work is about the people to me

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join